Iowa DNR prosing to start Duck season 2 wks later in fall.

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Re: Iowa DNR prosing to start Duck season 2 wks later in fal

Postby NedSwygard » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:12 pm

mudpack wrote:
NedSwygard wrote:Exactly where did you hunt. I hunted only Lake Meredith and my hunting buddy still works at Pantex and also reported no ducks in the Playas except during the teal season and we had mallards then at Meredith. Now they were killing ducks in the playa just east of Dumas. Also they were killing ducks in the Lubbock area. My Pastor Son's wife owns land west of Lubbock about 12 miles and they killed ducks over there also. 100 miles is a helluva distance and inferrring there were ducks at Meredith is wrong. Ned S

Make up your mind, ned. Mallards ARE ducks.

Another "brilliant" post by mudpack.
NedSwygard
hunter

Postby NedSwygard » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:12 pm

mudpack wrote:
NedSwygard wrote:Exactly where did you hunt. I hunted only Lake Meredith and my hunting buddy still works at Pantex and also reported no ducks in the Playas except during the teal season and we had mallards then at Meredith. Now they were killing ducks in the playa just east of Dumas. Also they were killing ducks in the Lubbock area. My Pastor Son's wife owns land west of Lubbock about 12 miles and they killed ducks over there also. 100 miles is a helluva distance and inferrring there were ducks at Meredith is wrong. Ned S

Make up your mind, ned. Mallards ARE ducks.

Another "brilliant" post by mudpack.
NedSwygard
hunter

Postby ImBillT » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:49 pm

Sorry Ned. Mallards were 2-3hrs south of Amarillo by Jan 1st, and there were lots of them too. I also must concur that abundance of water had an impact. I've saw very few geese on ponds that are usually covered completely in them, but in the fields I saw more geese than ever before, including places that I've never seen them before.
ImBillT
hunter

Postby John Singer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:42 pm

Texas duck season splits run until January 24 or 31. I think that January 31 is as late as Federal guidelines allow.

I live and hunt in Michigan and do most of my duck hunting on Saginaw Bay. The last two years we lost about 2 weeks of our season due to ice formation. This past season was an exception. My bag this season was down about 25% from last year. It was a strange season on the Bay in that the majority of ducks were taken during the month of October. November was pretty dead.

Regarding the setting of season dates, it is my understanding that Federal Guidelines are changed to allow states to set the season dates earlier in the year. Not that that the season will be start earlier but the dates will be decided on and announced earlier. Our dates are set by our Natural Resource Commission within the Federal Guidelines with input from the Citizens Waterfowl Advisory Council (CWAC).

Setting the seasons two weeks later for most of Michigan will result in lost hunting opportunity and greatly risk lost hunting time due to freeze-up. For two years in a row we lost two weeks. Make that 4 weeks had we started later and that would be 1/2 of a season.
John Singer
John Singer
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:34 pm

John Singer wrote:Regarding the setting of season dates, it is my understanding that Federal Guidelines are changed to allow states to set the season dates earlier in the year. Not that that the season will be start earlier but the dates will be decided on and announced earlier. Our dates are set by our Natural Resource Commission within the Federal Guidelines with input from the Citizens Waterfowl Advisory Council (CWAC).

That is correct, John. Because of the way the feds are gathering the data now, and because of this new system, they are saying that the seasons should be set and published by early to mid July instead of the usual August. The earliest opening and latest closings will still be the same as they've always been, but the actual dates will be published earlier.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby mjk » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:11 pm

My friend guides between Devils lake and Leeds, ND.

I called him after the WI season ended this year. They were sitting on thousands of Mallards, this would have been after December 6th.
mjk
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:32 pm

mjk wrote:My friend guides between Devils lake and Leeds, ND.

I called him after the WI season ended this year. They were sitting on thousands of Mallards, this would have been after December 6th.

The question being debated is "were there mallards in the Texas panhandle prior to January 31?" The answer seems to be "yes, but ned wasn't where he could see them."
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:33 pm

NedSwygard wrote:Another "brilliant" post by mudpack.

Describing it as "brilliant" may be overstating it, ned, but certainly "poignant" would be appropriate. :biggrin:

Ned, once again; why are you pushing later Iowa waterfowl dates when you live and hunt in northern Texas?
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Previous

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting