On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, dukhntr

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby duckdozer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:26 am

Hey guys sorry I haven't logged in and forever to update this. But the gun is still kicking butt after replacing the action bar I have not had another issue with it. So mudpack can go pack mud.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 211
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Glad you like your Stoeger, 'dozer. That's the only thing important; that you like it. Not that I like it, not that anyone else likes it, but that you like it.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby Roger Annabel » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:46 pm

in the recent Turners ad the Stoeger is selling for $629
a Mossberg 930 for $659 and a Beretta A300 Outlander for $649

I think our gun is a great gun, but not a really great deal anymore, the competition seems to have filled in the market at this price point
VAPING...
it's better than cigarettes
Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Roger Annabel wrote:in the recent Turners ad the Stoeger is selling for $629
a Mossberg 930 for $659 and a Beretta A300 Outlander for $649

I think our gun is a great gun, but not a really great deal anymore, the competition seems to have filled in the market at this price point

That synthetic A300 is a super buy, and a far better gun than the other two guns you mentioned.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:55 am

^^^ would totally agree on the A300 Outlander assessment.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Jeep went to war, to make it safe for Land Rover to go to soccer practice.
Yuchi1
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:05 pm

Roger Annabel wrote: I figure that if I can shoot the cheap Walmart ammo that saves me $1.50/box, it'll pay for itself in a month or two.

I guess Brownings and Berettas can't shoot cheap Walmart ammo......
mudpack
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:13 pm

Agree or disagree?
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:21 am

Three separate guys that I’ve hunted with off and on over the past 25 seasons started out with the Stoeger 2000 (3”) shotgun. All three guys really liked how they functioned and pointed. Starting between the third to fifth season(s), they started having issues that IMO, can best be attributed to cheap parts. A variety of components in the action started failing mainly in the bolt assembly area although one guy had trigger group issues as well. The biggest reason they all now shoot other shotguns is these issues became chronic as the usage increased. The “cheapness” factor of its components appeared to be coming to the surface with these shotguns.

While the M3000 may have improved in some areas, my 1990 vintage Beretta A390 Silver Mallard has yet to have a hiccup. The A300 Outlander I’ve been shooting over the past three seasons has been 100% as well and it along with the newly acquired A400 Xtrema are my go-to waterfowl S/A’s in 12 gauge. The Silver Mallard(s) do see some duty just so they don’t feel totally left out.

IMO, while Stoegers point well and have an attractive price point, they are not a shotgun (as a group) that’s still going to be running 100% several seasons downstream. In overall quality, I would rank Beretta, Benelli, Franchi & Stoeger in descending order.

Yuchi1
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:19 pm

I have to agree with Yuchi's grading of the various brands of shotguns.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:46 pm

I was watching the Waltons on TV the other day, the episode was about John Boys first Turkey hunt. He didn't have a gun so Grandpa gave him his old double barrel. He told John Boy, Here, take this old double barrel its as sound today as it was 30 years ago when I bought it. I often wonder how many of the guns being manufactured today will hold up to that statement.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:28 pm

^^^ Another question is how many will you be able to find parts for in twenty years.

Yuchi1
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:37 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:

Agree or disagree?

The biggest difference I've noted between the two guns is their "feel", in the hands.
The Beretta seems to fill out the hands more, especially the forearm. The Stoeger feels thinner, less substantial, "cheaper" to me.

You need to put a 3000 in Fumble's hands for two or three seasons, while you shoot the A300. See which one comes out ahead (if either do) at the end of the test.
mudpack
hunter

Postby micneador » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:34 am

An interesting review on the A300

https://youtu.be/0aGpxUGmfD8

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:17 pm

Looks like ducks died on a regular basis, it went bang every time and apparently shoots where it’s pointed. The reassembly complaint may be resolved by RTFM (reading the fundamental (owners) manual). His other gripe about rust on the barrel is unique in that mine has been wet multiple times and none has been observed. The rust in the trigger group is also troubling as I’ve yet to observe such in only 52 seasons with a multitude of shotguns. Perhaps, keeping a light film of CLP type product on them is telling with averting this issue. It’s my next favorite 12 gauge S/A second only to the A400 near it in the gun cabinet.

Yuchi1
State Moderator

Postby Roger Annabel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:56 pm

this should probably be posted somewhere else butt this is the only shotgun blog I ever check these days

I have had a choke in this gun forever, mostly to protect the barrel threads, not because I could see any change in my shooting. I took it out the other day and found hard crap on it that wasn't on the barrel and doesn't want to come off with my regular cleaning stuff.

since I don't see any shooting benefits to the choke, I figure I'll just change it (or more likely just leave it in the barrel dirty)

any thoughts?
VAPING...
Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:Looks like ducks died on a regular basis, it went bang every time and apparently shoots where it’s pointed. The reassembly complaint may be resolved by RTFM (reading the fundamental (owners) manual). His other gripe about rust on the barrel is unique in that mine has been wet multiple times and none has been observed. The rust in the trigger group is also troubling as I’ve yet to observe such in only 52 seasons with a multitude of shotguns. Perhaps, keeping a light film of CLP type product on them is telling with averting this issue. It’s my next favorite 12 gauge S/A second only to the A400 near it in the gun cabinet.

I actually found his review to be pretty spot on. I don't hunt near as much as what he says he does but I have experienced surface rust showing up pretty easily, no big deal because it cleans off. The gun can be a huge PIA to put back together but now that I have done it dozens of times I know what to expect and it is not that big of a deal. I have never experienced any rust on the gun other than the barrel so I can't agree with everything he says. I really enjoy the gun and it doesn't leave me wanting more but I could see that if you were a hardcore hunter or privy to nicer guns/things in general.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Roger Annabel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:53 pm

so yesterday I went shooting and the damn thing just wasn't working. The first shell would fire, extract, and eject, but the second shell wouldn't load. It would come out of the magazine onto the carrier but wouldn't get pushed into the chamber by the bolt because the carrier wasn't lifting it up. It's been a couple thousand shell since I gave it a good cleaning, so I figured it was some crap in the trigger assembly, so I cleaned that pretty good and gave it a thin coat of oil and took it back to the range today and it shot just fine.

guess that ought to hold it for a couple thousand more rounds.

I still say this is a great gun and not just for the low price
VAPING...
Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby Roger Annabel » Tue May 12, 2020 3:32 pm

OKay so I've had this gun about 6 years and shot at least 5,000 shells (I think closer to 10 K) and now in keeping with the title of this thread, I think my gun has died

today a shell (Winchester) kinda exploded instead of just going bang with a big kablooey instead

got it home and found the bolt head (locking head) had a piece tore out of it and on further inspection the barrel itself had a serious fracture at the breech where the bolt locks up

I was going to replace the bolt but I don't think I will buy a new $300 barrel to fix a $500 gun so I think this will be the official death of my Stoeger M3500

goodbye all
VAPING...
Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Wed May 13, 2020 3:40 pm

DO NOT REPALCE OR FIX ANYTHING...… Send it to STOEGER they need to know what has happened. It has been rendered useless any way.
Google is your friend......Google earth is your Enemy
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby Roger Annabel » Fri May 15, 2020 2:52 pm

the fracture in the barrel is actually in the barrel extension - how do you replace this part? :censored:
VAPING...
Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:21 pm

Sounds like a ammunition issue rather than shotgun based however, I did have a Franchi detonate a round ~3/4 into battery when the firing pin (had broken in two) slammed into the primer. You might check the firing pin and make sure its still in one piece.

Yuchi1
State Moderator

Postby micneador » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:44 am

Roger Annabel wrote:the fracture in the barrel is actually in the barrel extension - how do you replace this part? :censored:
Take it to a good TIG welder. Might be worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Previous

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting