Old Maps

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, dukhntr

Old Maps

Postby 007 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:45 am

So I was going through some of my old hunting maps and decided to try and frame a couple of them. one is a circa 1994 Quivira map, the other (not done yet) is a 1996 Cheyenne Bottoms before pools 3 and 4 were split. I didn't want to invest a ton so I stopped by Goodwill, found a $1.99 framed picture that would work, took it apart, flipped the existing stuff in it, and put the map in. I'm thinking about redoing it with black paper as the background behind the map. I'm also contemplating taking it over to my parents' house and having my dad sign the map before putting it back together. He's still hunting at 75 but I know it won't last forever.

Do you guys have any cool old maps?

Scott
Attachments
Quivira1 - Map1.jpg
hunter

Re: Old Maps

Postby gooshnr » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:30 pm

I have quite a few from the late 80s. CB, Quivira, Cheney, Glen Elder to name a few. I also have weekly waterfowl reports that I clipped from the local paper during the same timeframe. Kinda neat to look at once in awhile and reflect on the good ol days.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:41 am

It's a good idea just a bummer thinking something from 1996 is old.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:08 am

Or to marvel that Dad can still hunt at 75.I'm the same age and although we may be a bit slower and can't go quite as long the fires still in the belly. Way to many our age quit way to soon. Glad you guys still spend the time together.
Pumpguns and puppies,who could ask for anything more!
ohio mike
hunter

Postby 007 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:47 am

Thanks Mike, and I agree goos - I really enjoyed those times in the 90's - the days before the internet. Paper maps were essential. Hunting areas were passed down in the family or only shared with close hunting buddies through word of mouth. Even then, you had to get a map and drive out there to check things out. If you didn't hunt it back then, nobody would ever believe how uncrowded McPherson was...

S
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:13 am

:thumbsup:
I have done the same thing, 007. There are two of them (CB and Quivira) hanging on my wall right now, not three feet from my left shoulder. I consider them as satisfying as the pictures of me and my buds on our hunts.
Plus, they are good references when I'm going through my hunt logs from years past.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting