Coaxing geese onto WIHA

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, dukhntr

Coaxing geese onto WIHA

Postby Duckinsam » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:59 pm

Hey guys, being new to Kansas, I've never tried the technique I am about to mention, but I want to know if anyone has been successful in pulling it off.

I noticed there are some WIHA fields that have harvested corn in them, and they sit very close to a goose roost and one of them is even adjacent to the field that they are feeding in.

Has anyone had much success in luring geese that are already in the area to come into a decoy spread that is set up on WIHA ground like this? I figure with the cold front moving in and things starting to freeze up north that maybe some fresher birds may be here and more willing to come in. What are y'all's thoughts?
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure
Duckinsam
hunter

Re: Coaxing geese onto WIHA

Postby radfordc » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:45 pm

Lots of geese get killed on WIHAs. Layout blind and a couple dozen decoys are all you need.
radfordc
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:05 pm

You can definately kill geese in those areas
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Duckinsam » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:43 pm

Thanks guys, I will report back this weekend

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Duckinsam
hunter

Postby Duckinsam » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:23 am

Guys I finally made something happen. I think I've seen turkeys around here smaller than this thingImage

Duckinsam
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:29 pm

Very nice, congrats
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby John O`Neal » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:40 pm

Duckinsam wrote:Guys I finally made something happen. I think I've seen turkeys around here smaller than this thingImage

That`s a big-un for sure . Did you get to weigh it by chance ?
Cherish yesterday : Dream tomorrow : Hunt today
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby Duckinsam » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:54 pm

John O`Neal wrote:
Duckinsam wrote:Guys I finally made something happen. I think I've seen turkeys around here smaller than this thingImage

That`s a big-un for sure . Did you get to weigh it by chance ?

No unfortunately not, my guess was that he was more than 15 lbs, maybe closer to 20

Duckinsam
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:44 am

That's a big 'un. You can be proud of it. :thumbsup:

Now, a 12-pound Canada is a huge bird. That's what I'd say that one weighs; 12 pounds, give or take a pound.

There are no documented reports that I'm aware of of 15 pound Canadas taken in the USA.

Several years ago, there was a HUGE debate on one of the waterfowling forums (might have been this one, I can't remember) about the harvest weights of wild Canada geese. No one could produce valid proof of anything taken that was near 15 pounds.
There was a TON of guys who said they've killed 16 pound Canadas by the dozens, but could offer no proof...it was all guesses, estimates, and speculation.
Some years ago, one of the big decoys makers offered a large reward ($1000, as I recall) for validated proof of a Canada taken that weighed 16 pound or more. No one was able to claim it.

Having killed several 12-pounders (weighed on non-certified baby scales) myself, I can tell you that they FEEL like they weigh 20 pounds. There are some old reference books stating that the Giant Canada can weigh "up to 20 pounds", but there's no proof that Canadas of that weight have been harvested ever, let alone in the last three decades.

I help capture and band Canada geese state-wide every year, and have never captured any that weighed 15 pounds. These are resident geese, which tend to get a bit larger than migratory birds. Another reason we can be skeptical of 15 pound Canadas.

It makes for an interesting debate, though. :thumbsup:
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby Duckinsam » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:34 am

mudpack wrote:That's a big 'un. You can be proud of it. [emoji106]

Now, a 12-pound Canada is a huge bird. That's what I'd say that one weighs; 12 pounds, give or take a pound.

There are no documented reports that I'm aware of of 15 pound Canadas taken in the USA.

Several years ago, there was a HUGE debate on one of the waterfowling forums (might have been this one, I can't remember) about the harvest weights of wild Canada geese. No one could produce valid proof of anything taken that was near 15 pounds.
There was a TON of guys who said they've killed 16 pound Canadas by the dozens, but could offer no proof...it was all guesses, estimates, and speculation.
Some years ago, one of the big decoys makers offered a large reward ($1000, as I recall) for validated proof of a Canada taken that weighed 16 pound or more. No one was able to claim it.

Having killed several 12-pounders (weighed on non-certified baby scales) myself, I can tell you that they FEEL like they weigh 20 pounds. There are some old reference books stating that the Giant Canada can weigh "up to 20 pounds", but there's no proof that Canadas of that weight have been harvested ever, let alone in the last three decades.

I help capture and band Canada geese state-wide every year, and have never captured any that weighed 15 pounds. These are resident geese, which tend to get a bit larger than migratory birds. Another reason we can be skeptical of 15 pound Canadas.

It makes for an interesting debate, though. [emoji106]
Yeah I'm gonna go with your guess. I've never weighed one myself.

Duckinsam
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting