Anyone still around?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Anyone still around?

Postby laduckin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:46 pm

Rick or Madhook? How are all of you guys doing? It is hard to get too excited about the season but its better to think about what few ducks we have left than to turn on the news.
laduckin
hunter

Re: Anyone still around?

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:21 am

I'm still bored enough to be on board. Starting to see more and more of the little shorebirds that seem to precede the blue-wings, so their show shouldn't be too many weeks off.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby hunt_r05348 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:43 pm

Hi guys, what do ya'll think the season will look like this year?
hunt_r05348
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:25 am

hunt_r05348 wrote:Hi guys, what do ya'll think the season will look like this year?

I'm not expecting much and going every day anyway.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Madhook » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:36 am

It won't be long before I head down to Venice to start building blinds. I was able to secure a nice piece of private property for this year so I am pretty excited about that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Madhook
hunter

Postby laduckin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:34 am

It seems that Venice and some spots out in West LA may be the way to go in the future. I have recently taken up fishing more than ever to hold me over haha.
laduckin
hunter

Postby hunt_r05348 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:14 pm

We have hunted some in Venice before. It is rewarding if you know where to hunt. But you definitely have to know where you are going and how to get there safely. Its ashame hunters have to resort to those dangers just to kill a few ducks but it is what is , i guess. Hope for a good season is all we can do, right?
hunt_r05348
hunter

Postby Madhook » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:00 am

Venice can definitely be very dangerous if you run the river in a mud boat. I will usually go back ways to avoid the river but then you have to know your way around since mud boats don't perform well in sand. I personally prefer to have my 22 foot bay boat with mud boat in tow. It's much faster and a hell of a lot safer.

Madhook
hunter

Postby laduckin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:23 pm

Well, Madhook, If you ever need a hunting buddy for whatever reason let me know. I would trade you a teal shoot/fishing trip in braithewait but I do not know if it would be a fair trade when comparing it to what Venice has to offer lol.
laduckin
hunter

Postby Madhook » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:49 am

Laduckin we may have to figure out how to make a hunt
My wife and I fished out of grand isle this past weekend. We caught a good bit of lemons and mangroves ImageImageImageImageImage

Madhook
hunter

Postby laduckin » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:42 pm

I'd love that.
Those are some beautiful cobia. Any trout still on the beaches? I fished everywhere from my lease in Braithwaite to some ponds around Spanish lake this past Saturday. Dirty water everywhere. On a positive note, we had 10 teal sitting in the little rice pond in Braithwaite
laduckin
hunter

Postby laduckin » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:21 pm

Madhook, on a sidenote, are you still looking to go to Cali next year for a Cinnamon teal hunt? I spoke to a guide over there named Brett Dickerson who specifically guides for cinnys out of a kayak.
laduckin
hunter

Postby Madhook » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:39 pm

I didn't try for trout but did speak with a couple of guides that had half of their limits. I may put a cinnamon on the back burner for a while and try to get a elk with my bow.

Madhook
hunter

Postby laduckin » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:43 pm

I frequent the other state forums as well to look for guides haha. We are heading to hunt with eagle lakes in Washington this year and hope to go to the dakotas or utah the next. I don't think you could go wrong with either a Cali duck hunt or Elk hunt.
On another note, saw 5 teal this morning in Braithwaite. I could not even get to my lease because our canal was clogged with lillies so we will see how that goes.
laduckin
hunter

Postby Madhook » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:55 am

I hope all of y'all kill your limits of little blue rockets. I will be sitting out opening day and hunting during the week this year. Also on a crappy note I have been informed this week that the property that I had to hunt on was no longer available to me. I think someone has deeper pockets so I guess I am going to have to do the public grind once again. Good luck and stay safe.

Madhook
hunter

Postby Madhook » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:21 am

On a positive note my friend that owns bayou meto land and leasing in Arkansas got a new farm that he planted with rice. We spoke this week and he said that with the storm that blew through it knocked most of the rice to the ground and that will not be harvested so he should hold lots of birds.
I will be making a trip to hunt with him for several days in the first split.

Madhook
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting