New puppy day

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Re: New puppy day

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:45 pm

wsumner wrote:Leakey are you planning to run her in any test. They are a lot of fun and something to do with your dog in the off season. She is a good looking dog.
Yeah I think I’d like to try running him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:04 pm

Chapo had a very off day of training today. First bird, a duck, he got just about to it when he winded the blind bumpers. He peeled off to them and the helper wasn’t able to get his attention back towards the duck.

Second run was on a live pigeon. I believe it was his first time with live birds. Got to the bird on the water but would not pick it up. Tried a second time, same result. So we did a couple retrieves with a live pigeon on land and he got over it and got it. Then a short retrieve of one on water. Like I said first time with a live one. Im guessing that’s fairly common. He’ll see live birds again tomorrow and I bet he’ll do better.

Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:53 am

What a difference a day makes! Training today, his first mark was through water up on to land to retrieve a dead duck. He got the mark and took a direct line through the water on the return. Did not cheat.

Next retrieve was a break test on a live pigeon. He held steady when the guns went off, never broke, and didn’t hesitate on the bird.

Final retrieve, break test on a live duck. Again held steady with the gun fire, didn’t break. When he got to the duck it dove and Chapo dove down after it. They were both totally underwater. Duck pops up and Chapo popped up right after it and fetched it right up.

I could not have been more proud.

Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby wsumner » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:03 pm

Those are the retrieves you never forget. Sounds like a fun day.
wsumner
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:46 pm

Chapo did his first double the other day and will take part in the juniors mid October. He’s home for the weekend enjoying some RnR.

Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby wsumner » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:30 pm

Having a good run. Labor day weekend I ran 2 HRC Finished hunt tests with my dog Bean in New Hampshire and she earned 2 passes. Took her to Maine this weekend and ran 2 more Finished test and she went 1 for 2. When I got home there was a message on my answering machine that I had won a Browning Cynergy from the Connecticut Waterfowl Association. Our own Mike Enright (Irishwhistler) sold me the winning ticket. Thanks Mike.
wsumner
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:48 pm

Congratulations on the gun Wayne, that’s great. I had a stake in the game as well. Good for you!
My doctor said drinking heavily can lead to a slow death. I said good, I'm not in any hurry.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:13 pm

wsumner wrote:Having a good run. Labor day weekend I ran 2 HRC Finished hunt tests with my dog Bean in New Hampshire and she earned 2 passes. Took her to Maine this weekend and ran 2 more Finished test and she went 1 for 2. When I got home there was a message on my answering machine that I had won a Browning Cynergy from the Connecticut Waterfowl Association. Our own Mike Enright (Irishwhistler) sold me the winning ticket. Thanks Mike.

Aye Wayne,
Nice haul Lad. Enjoy that Cynergy and thanks for ye support to CWA.

Cheers :beer: ,
Mike
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby Maurry » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:18 am

Damn! I was supposed to win that Cynergy. .....Well, enjoy it, WSummer!
Maurry
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:45 pm

that’s fantastic. congrats.

will any of you be running your dogs at manorville next month? i’ll be there.

Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby wsumner » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:27 pm

Good Luck on Long Island! I always like running there. Good bunch of dog people. I'm headed there this weekend to run Bean in the LIRFTC HRC Upland tests. Can't make the Oct. 17-18 AKC test there. I'm going to Kentucky for Oct 7-14 to judge the Grand (789 dogs entered). Then stopping Oct 15-18 in MD to run Bean in 2 tests at Conowingo HRC.
wsumner
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:57 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:that’s fantastic. congrats.

will any of you be running your dogs at manorville next month? i’ll be there.

Gary,
I am running two retrievers in the HRC Upland Hunter Quad on 9/19 and 9/20. I agree, the LIRFTC is a club with some really fine members. I will see Wayne there this weekend.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:28 pm

I forgot to mention I did several doubles with Chapo last week. He did great. Still needs to work on hold but he gets his marks. He should be in good shape for the juniors next month. He’s got 2 more weeks to go with the trainer; then he comes home. I am very excited to run him in the juniors and of course to hunt with him this season.

Planning to hunt him central opener. I’ll probably not even shoot, just handle...though he’s been very good in break tests.

Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby wsumner » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:32 pm

IMG_4595.jpg
IMG_4595.jpg (186.28 KiB) Viewed 18 times
Bean passed 2 Upland tests at Long Island this weekend and earned her Upland Hunter title'
IMG_4604.jpg
IMG_4604.jpg (132.02 KiB) Viewed 18 times

Irishwhistler also earned several passes with Jackson and Mac.
Jackson earned his Upland Hunter title.
It was a fun weekend with perfect weather for upland hunting. The dogs loved it!!
wsumner
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:47 pm

wsumner wrote:
IMG_4595.jpg
Bean passed 2 Upland tests at Long Island this weekend and earned her Upland Hunter title'
IMG_4604.jpg

Irishwhistler also earned several passes with Jackson and Mac.
Jackson earned his Upland Hunter title.
It was a fun weekend with perfect weather for upland hunting. The dogs loved it!!

Aye Wayne,

Those are some right dapper looking lads there, and their dogs aren't half bad looking too! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

T'was indeed a fine weekend spent amongst HRC folks and their dogs, and that always means a grand time with grand friends and their beloved sporting dogs.

Cheers :beer: ,
IRISHWHISTLER
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting