Duck Hunting Forum banner

Late Season Geese

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Buffle 
#1 ·
Could someone give me some tips about late goose season in the north coastal zone? Tactics, gear, decoys..ect

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
No secret to late season geese other then you need to be where the birds want to be. With this weather that will be difficult. Scouted some this morning. Some birds leaving the salt for fields, but no freshwater opened up yet. Far up the north coastal zone there are a few snows around and a few greater white fronted as well. Calling tomorrow to see if the latter are fair game if opportunity arises, but don't think so. Late season is always a tough go and my goal is 5 birds which I rarely attain.

#4 ·
I had about 100 in front of me this morning south shore central area, but all they wanted to do was loaf out on the ice. Saw only one group come and go, but all out of range for me. Couple people in the area got some shots off, sounded to be only 1 about flock per each though. Just when you think you have them patterned, they change it up and just sit all morning :mad: A friend of a friend's been killing it all week in the middleboro area, all private farmland though.

Probably gonna go north shore next weekend, bird watcher reports showing a lot of birds up that way. I'll probably get skunked again, but maybe the change of scenery will be nice.

#6 ·
I am on north shore. Those birds on the bird watching pages are largely unhuntable and they know they are. They do the same thing virtually every day traveling between two unhuntable areas. Geese I am seeing are feeding in small tidal creeks which I think is odd considering other options are available. All of the creeks they are using are tight to roads. Did a lot of scouting yesterday and only found one group of huntable birds.

#7 ·
sounds about the same as I've seen south of the city, smart birds. I've even been seeing them in the grass along the highway/onramps! Only 2 more weekends left, hopefully I can make something happen. Frustrating this season, last year I at least got a few chances at pass shooting. I started contemplating crow hunting this past weekend listening to a whole bunch of them off on the edge of the woods.

#13 ·
Was able to hunt a roost the last day. Had wanted to hunt it all late season as it was being used heavily and is usually frozen solid. Didn't want to hunt it earlier and mess other hunters up. Was worried it would freeze up, but wind and birds kept a small hole open. Most of the birds came in after sunset, but was able to get four and end with some birds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.