20-21 season.

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Re: 20-21 season.

Postby AvianAddict » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:32 am

Slow morning but got this real nice drake mallard. Not usually this plumed this early.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AvianAddict
hunter

Postby Farmhunter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:49 am

The dog and I got 3 woodies this am.
We were done pretty early and gave the swamp back to the birds.
It rained the whole time.
Farmhunter
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:44 am

Leaving out the misses and missed opportunities. We had a good hunt. Professor Leakey and JambroseOutdoors were my guests. Leakey never uncased the gun solely to work with Chapo, his young retriever. I predicted mayhem for the morning and I was right. Wood ducks from all directions at a confusing pace. A few mallards around and had a nice flock of geese of around a dozen do it perfectly. Jack doubled on geese, me, hah, one of the misses at 15yds. I ended up with 2 woodies and a teal. The mallard I knocked down unfortunately eluded both dog and hunters but counted toward the bag. Jack got the 2 geese and a wood duck. I wish the birds were more photo worthy but it was nasty out there.
Attachments
A2B81B29-41A5-42AD-BA3F-91182684F411.jpeg
A2B81B29-41A5-42AD-BA3F-91182684F411.jpeg (195.74 KiB) Viewed 543 times
My doctor said drinking heavily can lead to a slow death. I said good, I'm not in any hurry.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby AvianAddict » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:47 am

Sounds like a fun morning!

AvianAddict
hunter

Postby Farmhunter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:33 pm

Solid work guys good job getting out in the rain.
Farmhunter
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:01 pm

Wet but productive morning today. Managed 8 birds between my buddy and I, mix of mallards, blacks and woodies. Plenty of missed birds as well. The dog made some awesome retrieves, one chasing a cripple over 130 yards in the water and up onto a beaver dam. She also found a cripple in the woods on the way out that it we didnt even know we had hit.

Not sure about everyone else but I was really surprised by the lack of people out this morning. We only heard two shots where it usually sounds like a warzone on opening day from all the surrounding bodies of water.Image

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby AvianAddict » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:07 pm

I think the rain had all the fair weather hunters stay in bed. I got to my spot this morning at 4:40 at sat in my car until 5:30 pondering going home and back to bed. It was a nasty morning. Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive!

AvianAddict
hunter

Postby JambroseOutdoors » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:51 pm

Awesome stuff guys. Great to see people were able to be rewarded for sitting in such brutal conditions.

Big thank you to BM for allowing me to join opening day. And thank you Leakey for letting me be a part of Chapo’s first real hunt and retrieves. He’s got a ton of drive and energy, you’ve got a good one on your hands!

BM said the night before to prepare for mayhem, and he delivered! Birds buzzing everywhere, they put on a show nonstop for the first 45 minutes. Definitely need to get the shot dialed in again. Embarrassingly missed on two gimme mallards that were dead to rights. Still not sure how BM called in that group of geese, had them cupped perfect over the a narrow stretch of water.

Had an absolute blast despite the brutal conditions. Again thank you BM and Leakey!
JambroseOutdoors
hunter

Postby AvianAddict » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:11 pm

This morning was a bust! Decent amount of birds but wanted nothing to do with us and the few times I got mallards to respond they’d circle over another hunter on the opposite shore and he was skybusting all morning. Taking 75+ yard shots and ruined the only chances I had. Thankfully we went for an afternoon goose hunt and killed our limit out of one group. Watched multiple groups after land in the decoys while we were standing there. Good finish to a tough start!Image

AvianAddict
hunter

Postby Buffle » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:24 pm

Nice to see some successful hunts. Hope to get out for coastal opener tomorrow, but doubtful. Working 12 to 14 hour days, 7 days a week. Leaves little time for family and sleep, let alone hunting. Better then the alternative I guess.
Buffle
hunter

Postby JambroseOutdoors » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:20 pm

Just a PSA before getting into today's hunt... after hearing about AA's morning hunt yesterday, hearing similar stories from other buddies, and experiencing it first hand this morning, everyone please be safe out there heading into the weekend. I believe Covid has given the crazies more hunting opportunities and it has become amateur hour.

Went out this morning with a buddy that I met last year at this spot. First time I've seen him in 2020, so it was great to get out there with him. Thought we gave ourselves enough time to be the first ones there so we could get to our #1 spot. Unfortunately got beat to the ramp, by a lot. 1 car was already parked and the guy was already set up probably 2 hrs before shooting time, we were 1.5 hrs early. No biggie, just made a little further paddle to spot #2. We take our time setting everything up, headlamps on the entire time, if anyone else showed up they couldn't have missed us. Our lights were on until probably 10 minutes before shooting time. Shooting time comes, guy in spot #1 fires a couple shots, and all of a sudden we get blasted by someone in front of us? Confused, my buddy and I chalk it up to maybe there was a weird echo carrying on the water. Then we get birds working our spread, woodies banking wings out starting to dance, all of a sudden 3 shots ring out and we have pellets raining on us... Come to find out another guy paddled out, no light or anything to identify himself in the pitch dark, set up directly across from us. And he is just skybusting away, did not shoot at a single bird committed to his spread. He's wearing like a light blue shirt sticking out like a sore thumb, no camo, and something that was literally reflecting light and glaring almost like a mirror. Every time he moved a glare flashed in the tree line. Not a single ethical shot, zero awareness of his surroundings, and did not care one bit about us and where we were. There is NO WAY he did not see our headlamps as we were setting up and he was paddling out, especially given how close he was to us.

I just don't understand and get people sometimes. I understand that guy was probably frustrated that two other groups were already out there, but if he had simply come over to talk to us, we most likely would have invited him to sit with us (maybe not after realizing his attire...). That is exactly how my buddy who I was with met last year. We wanted to set up in the same spot, I said let's sit there together, and now we hunt all the time. Instead this guy felt it was right to set up directly across from another group, shoot unethical shots, and blast shots right at us. My point is just be careful obviously the situation with Covid has given people more time on their hands, just keep your head on a swivel out there. Sorry for the long winded post, that type of stuff just gets my blood boiling and needed to vent. Ok end of rant and soapbox, thank you for listening :lol3: ...

Despite all that, we readjusted so we could take safe shots, and managed to scratch out 4 woodies. The duck gods did reward me however, with a bird banded earlier this year. She came in with another, did it perfect, both of us dropped one almost simultaneously with one shot each.

Good luck to everyone heading into the weekend, and again stay safe out there!
Attachments
IMG_9792.JPG
JambroseOutdoors
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:48 am

Aye Mates,
Not from MA, nor a MA hunt, but I''m a friend with a bunch o' the lads on this site so thought I would share this unusual "mixed bag" hunt from yesterday morn.

DSC01150 2_Fotor.jpg

~ MIXED BAG ~ Meself and me gunning partners were hunting Honkers o'er a field spread and I was watching three hen turkeys out o' range west of our blind. A small flock o' Killdeer kept landing in close proximity to the turkeys and one hen kept charging and chasing them off, a behavior I had never seen previously. The ornery hen made a hard left turn and started coming east right down a cornrow toward our blind and both my gunning Mate John and I have fall turkey permits. I shot the hen and rolled her and she got up and flew another twenty feet and John finished her. Ye can see her centered in our post hunt photo above,

Me younger gun dog MAC mad a retrieve on her and handled her just as he would any other bird, bit it was quite a sight to see him coming through the rig of honker field decoys with a hen turkey in his mouth :lol3: .

A bonus o' tis hunt was we got our gunning Mate Henry age 81 out on a hunt and had him shoot a one man limit o' two birds today. His first hunt in two years due to some severe back pain issues. It was awesome seeing him back in the blind with us. :yes: :clapping:

Glad to see the "Gathering Gang" getting out on birds :thumbsup: .

Have a productive and safe season all :thumbsup: .

Cheers,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby AvianAddict » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 am

Had a good morning in the rain today. That paddle out was miserable as we were paddling north right into the wind and rain but it was worth it. There was a point where I questioned my decision to get out of bed. We didn’t have a lot of birds decoy but what did stayed. I also saw more teal today than I can ever remember. So far so good this season with shooting as well. Went 3 for 3 this morning. There was 4 of us if anybody was wondering seeing as there is three hen mallards.Image

AvianAddict
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:37 am

Nice AA. Today was a weird day. Had plenty of birds around but very non committal. Nothing wrong with the spread or the hide. Maybe wind direction, who knows. Just one of those days. A black duck and a goose came home. Hey JambroseOutdoors, I did it again. Called in a flock of 18 geese and missed. Hah!
My doctor said drinking heavily can lead to a slow death. I said good, I'm not in any hurry.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:29 pm

Another rainy morning, I also observed birds that didnt want to commit and were flying higher than usual. Same spot on Tuesday we had birds coming in low and landing all around the marsh. We shot a couple ducks early on, missed a few and then we capitalized on a lay-up flock of geese. The flock must of come off the other pond because they came in low, still gaining altitude and flew directly over us, 3 guys, 3 double and 3 limits in a matter of seconds. The pup got a nice triple out of that flock.

Followed it up with a quick pheasant, couldn't have been more than 15 minutes for my limit. Drove by one of the main stocking sites and couldn't believe the number of trucks at 11:30, more than I've seen in 10 years of hunting there. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:57 pm

hunted the Berkshire opener and the first two days of central. the birds were there and if you're smart, you were too because the duck gods produced mightily for me. Woodie limits each day, two days of mallard limits in the central, with a black duck one day and my very first ever blue wing teal in 19 years of waterfowling. there was also jewelry involved. i really enjoy hunting in Mass and will be back again next early season, hopefully before that for eider but we'll see. stay safe out there!
Blind laws are treason
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Farmhunter » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:53 am

Ha dog tired that’s great, good goin.

Two drakes this am. Two nice retrieves and I got a few nice photos.

Farmhunter
hunter

Postby AvianAddict » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:53 pm

Hunted with my dad on Wednesday afternoon for geese. It’s the first time I’ve hunted geese with my dad in at least 20 years. I have a picture on my wall of him and I in the same cornfield from 1998 when I shot my first two geese. Kind of cool to be back in the same field with him. It was a slow afternoon but I got a group of 7 to come in and my dad dropped one. I didn’t even shoulder my gun, not sure why. I guess I was more interested in watching him shoot and I figured there’d be another group or two. I went out for ducks this morning and it was real slow, I saw a total of 7 woodies and 1 black. The black landed out at about 100 yards and swam into about 45-50 but he was just too far where I didn’t want to shoot. I did get one hen woody but unfortunately I centered her up too much and blew the guts right out of her. Not any useable meet left on her. I have noticed a lot more hunting pressure this year and a lot of inexperienced guys sky busting. I know new hunters are good for the sport but I hope the Covid hunters start staying home. All my spots are blown out and the warm weather hasn’t helped. With some lows in the thirties in the forecast we should hopefully get some new birds.

AvianAddict
hunter

Postby Farmhunter » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:42 pm

Yea roger that the hunting pressure is bad this year. I’m not a fan.
Hopefully they go and hunt the dee-ah instead now..
Farmhunter
hunter

Postby Farmhunter » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:13 am

Had a streak of poor shooting this morning.
Rushing my gun mount.

Nailed a drake woodie for a nice far retrieve.
Farmhunter
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:20 am

i’ve let the pup down two hunts in a row with poor shooting. i did manage one drake woody this morning but whiffed on some geese. not seeing great numbers of birds but hoping with the cold weather and north winds in the forecast we’ll get a push of new birds soon.

Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Farmhunter » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:24 am

Leaky that’s way cool your out there with your new dog.
I remember the first few times sending Thyra out for a real retrieve in the pre-dawn swamp were magic.
I remember it’s a bit stressful trying to be all you can be for your new partner and hoping everything goes correctly. Some missed shots happened to me too.
Just press on just like you’re already doing. Stress free hunts are on the horizon bud - not even leave your chair after you shoot one watching the dog all proud of your team...
You’ll have fond memories of these early days too.
Good work all around. You’re doing it.
Farmhunter
hunter

Postby PineRock » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:41 pm

PL, every time you miss, just know that you are training your dog to know that not ever gunshot earns a retrieve! You are just helping the dog out!! :lol3:
Keep up the good work! Not everyone has the pleasure of hunting with a trained retriever!
PineRock
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:34 pm

he’s still got a lot to learn, but so do I. today, i dropped the bird out of his sight. so i sent him on a line towards it. he veered off left so i called him back and sent him again. that time he went on a line straight to it. i was very happy with him.

the other day was a skunk day but i learned that i can take him in the canoe. figured i better try it while it’s still warm. he did just fine.

hunted him out of the invisilab today. he didn’t try to break. he was tied off so it wouldn’t have mattered anyway, but was happy he stayed put. also happy to see him watching the sky when birds are flying.

Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby AvianAddict » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:41 pm

That’s great that Chapos doing well! I’m sure it adds a lot to the enjoyment of waterfowl hunting.

AvianAddict
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting