Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:32 pm

Train your dog to retrieve your wallet and keys if laying around....might save your azz if you drop them in the woods or marsh. It has saved my azz a couple times. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

early season tips

Postby calebnewman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:04 am

well i have been hunting for a good while now and i have seen something in the ducks

tip 1. always have decoy motion in there like a mojo or a jerk string.

tip 2. do not show your face it is like a flag saying to them go away.

tip 3. aways remember that the ducks will circle then they will land faceing the wind
calebnewman
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:40 am

A pretty good way of carrying spinning wing decoys in your boat is to take a 3/4"x 8" nipple. Attach to side of bench seat of flat bottom with (2) 3/4" one hole pipe straps and a couple of sheet metal screws . Remove the bottom section from decoy stand and the top 2 sections will slide down into the nipple. (take the wings off). They will ride securely with no problem. If I knew how to post pics I would show you what I'm talking about.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby WolfHeart91 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:24 am

One thing Ive learned: put the cell phone away because the second you go to answer that text that says you got a date in the afternoon is when the big flock of dogris or grays start flying in. That was an embarrassing date.
Me: Y'know how you know I really like you?
Her: How?
Me: Because when I told you I was up for a date this morning I had a giant flock of teal fly over my head and no shotgun in my hand
I am just a pair of ragged claws, scuttling across the floors of silent seas....
2017-18 totals: 9 teal, 1 gadwal, 4 dosgris, 1 coot
Kaku Kahuna SUP duck hunter and fly angler
WolfHeart91
hunter

Postby micneador » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:41 pm

WolfHeart91 wrote:One thing Ive learned: put the cell phone away because the second you go to answer that text that says you got a date in the afternoon is when the big flock of dogris or grays start flying in. That was an embarrassing date.
Me: Because when I told you I was up for a date this morning I had a giant flock of teal fly over my head and no shotgun in my hand

Or you wake up late because she text and calls you at 1 in the morning.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby EARDLEYBIRD » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:16 pm

If ducks fly right by your decoys or mojo twice in a row. Take mojo out. Move decoys around.
EARDLEYBIRD
hunter

Postby garthfishandhunt » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:39 pm

By now I'm sure everyone knows to take baby wipes instead of toilet paper in the blind. But on those 20 degree days, does anyone remember to warm up said baby wipes inside of waders or shirt pocket a half hour before getting the #2 call? If you do remember, it'll make the experience infinitely more enjoyable so that you may never forget again.
Dead Hens don't lay Eggs
garthfishandhunt
hunter

Postby ILwaterfowl71 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:50 pm

garthfishandhunt wrote:By now I'm sure everyone knows to take baby wipes instead of toilet paper in the blind. But on those 20 degree days, does anyone remember to warm up said baby wipes inside of waders or shirt pocket a half hour before getting the #2 call? If you do remember, it'll make the experience infinitely more enjoyable so that you may never forget again.

Someone give this guy an award
ILwaterfowl71
hunter

Postby Cranberry1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:25 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Train your dog to retrieve your wallet and keys if laying around....might save your azz if you drop them in the woods or marsh. It has saved my azz a couple times. :thumbsup:

Usually I'm good at picking apart the sarcasm on here ... So are you being sarcastic or is your dog really that bad azz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cranberry1
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Cranberry1 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Train your dog to retrieve your wallet and keys if laying around....might save your azz if you drop them in the woods or marsh. It has saved my azz a couple times. :thumbsup:

Usually I'm good at picking apart the sarcasm on here ... So are you being sarcastic or is your dog really that bad azz

I dated a girl is HS whos dad was a professional trainer, as a part of demonstrations he gave at dog shows he actually did hide his wallet and keys and the dog would find them. So its possible
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Cranberry1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:11 pm

cluckmeister wrote:
Cranberry1 wrote:

I dated a girl is HS whos dad was a professional trainer, as a part of demonstrations he gave at dog shows he actually did hide his wallet and keys and the dog would find them. So its possible

No doubt , that's just extra BA haha.

Cranberry1
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:45 pm

Cranberry please check your PM, thanks
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby The New Guy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:17 pm

garthfishandhunt wrote:By now I'm sure everyone knows to take baby wipes instead of toilet paper in the blind. But on those 20 degree days, does anyone remember to warm up said baby wipes inside of waders or shirt pocket a half hour before getting the #2 call? If you do remember, it'll make the experience infinitely more enjoyable so that you may never forget again.

This is a good one! Trying to wipe the arse with frozen wipes would be an interesting game... :huh: :no:
If ya can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with bullshit!
The New Guy
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:32 pm

or u can always straddle a small spruce tree!! :beer:
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby DennisCanfield » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:49 am

Nice tips thumbs up!
DennisCanfield
hunter

Location: 3770 State Road KK PO Box 578, Fulton, MO 65251-0578

Re:

Postby tmound » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:18 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:Late in the season, we set our decoys up so the birds will slowly cross in front of us instead of coming into our face. That way the birds aren't looking directly at you during their final approach. It isn't traditional in yo face duck hunting, but it definitely kills birds.

Hope this helps somebody else.

Do you still create a small pocket for the birds to possibly land?
tmound
Newb

Postby TheMiz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:15 pm

New one I thought of the other day after breaking ice. To get all the smaller ice chunks out of your spread when there's no wind to move it for you, bring a leaf blower along in the boat and blow them chunks away...really beats the old rake method.
TheMiz
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:12 pm

I always used baby wipes to remove face paint after the hunt.

Last year I tried women's make-up remover pads. They are alot better.
Just say no to internet scouting.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby ILwaterfowl71 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:00 pm

Swamp Gas wrote:I always used baby wipes to remove face paint after the hunt.

Last year I tried women's make-up remover pads. They are alot better.

Very true. I have a pack of my wife's makeup removers in the truck and they work great
ILwaterfowl71
hunter

Postby berganser » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:05 am

TheMiz wrote:New one I thought of the other day after breaking ice. To get all the smaller ice chunks out of your spread when there's no wind to move it for you, bring a leaf blower along in the boat and blow them chunks away...really beats the old rake method.

You could also try "SNOW FENCE"or Plastic Fencing. You can cut a Pretty Good Section and Keep it rolled up.
Even if buy yourself, you can use it. I had Wooden Stakes at each. Something to hold onto. :thumbsup:
Hey, Let's go Huntin'!!
Committed Custom Calls! Try one out!!
berganser
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:42 pm

WolfHeart91 wrote:One thing Ive learned: put the cell phone away because the second you go to answer that text that says you got a date in the afternoon is when the big flock of dogris or grays start flying in. That was an embarrassing date.

I swear that pulling my phone out and getting on facebook or checking the weather does more to pull ducks in than calling, decoys..etc. HANDS DOWN
TheMiz
hunter

Postby SCduckhunter69 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:22 pm

PRO TIP- If you live in south carolina just stay home we don't have any ducks :thumbsup:
SCduckhunter69
hunter

Postby DOT3 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:12 pm

I spray a flat clear coat on all my re purposed decoys and 2 or 3 times per season I put a thin coat of Armour All on all my decoys. It doesn't make them shiny, it just makes the features pop. I noticed a difference in the birds' reaction from the first time I tried it.
DOT3
hunter

Re:

Postby mudpack » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:25 am

SCoutdoorsman wrote:If your decoys have begun to look dirty, and you feel like dunking them to brighten their original colors, try cleaning them before your next outing with tire cleaner foam. Simply hang your old decoys along your backyard fence, spray them thoroughly with tire cleaning solution, and let them dry overnight.

Sheeit...now i hafta' go buy a house with a fenced back yard. :mad:

This duck hunting is getting expensive.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:40 am

The best thing to use to tag birds is tyvek and a black sharpie. Cut a 3X5 inch rectangle and write your info on it, poke a hole with a knife and zip tie to the birds wings. :thumbsup: The tyvek will not get wet in the ice chest and the sharpie will not smudge off.

We buy a couple tyvek suits at lowes and use those for tags.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole