Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Re:

Postby mudpack » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Gooseboy wrote:apply a small coat of petroleum jelly to ur dekes. restores color.

Also attracts dust and dirt like you wouldn't believe, makes decoys impossible to pick up with wet hands, and gets your gloves and hands so greasy you can't hold onto your shotgun. Aside from that, it's a good tip. :rolleyes:

Here's my tip: one of the best qualities a duck hunter can have is patience. When you go out in the wee dark hours of the morning, be prepared to spend the whole day. Take snacks. Unless you have a compelling reason to end the hunt before sundown, stick it out until the bitter end. You will learn a lot about the areas, about the ducks, about yourself, about your God....even if you don't get your limit.
Picking up too early is a common mistake.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:40 pm

hurtin_honkers wrote:A few tips I found extremely helpful, and made me more successful

-Cart your gear in instead of hauling it on your back. If you use a layout, and cannot drive in, buy a set of wheels designed for toting a kayak or canoe. Strap your layout to the wheels and set all of your gear on top of the blind, maybe even attach a loop to your blind for a handle. Nothing starts a day off worse than hiking in with a couple dozen decoys, a blind, gun, in your waders and becoming soaked in sweat and having to hike in extra early to be setup for shooting time.

-Watch the birds. One mistake everyone makes, especially when hunting a new spot, or an old spot under different migration patterns, or weather, is over calling to draw in birds that simply don't like your setup. Unless you hunt a secluded pond with no other water around for miles, and no place for birds to go, if they dont like what they see they will more often than not land elsewhere. Nothing is more frustrating than watching birds land a couple hundred yards away constantly when the spot you are is where they normally want to be. If birds are flying high, don't break stride as they approach your setup, or simply don't come in close enough, change your setup, dont try and wail on your call. Even the best calling can't force a bird to land if they dont feel safe. Check to make sure you are concealed, stop moving, pull decoys, change the landing zone, spread them out, switch it up.

-Less is more, and become a watcher. I consider myself a decent caller, not the worst, and certainly not the best, but I can work with a call to produce the sounds I need. One bad habit I've had over the years is over calling. Even on committing birds, over calling can spook them and turn them away. The most successful hunts that I had this year were hunts that I actually rarely touched my call. Become a watcher, rather than a looker. I had never used layouts until this season, mostly because I have no need. The ponds a brooks of maine are lined in thick cover more often than not, and hiding among the trees is easy enough. One habit I noticed immediately when using the layout is how much your field of view is limited, unless you move and turn your head, which can spook birds. Find a good spot, get set and watch in front of you. This ties in with having a good setup, as passing birds will likely want to drop in low enough to see for their first swing. Which leads to my next tip.

-This reminds me of years ago as a child going swimming at the pool. Before jumping straight in, I would always dip my foot in to test the water, and see how cold it was. Mallards do the same thing, if you have a decent setup they will drop nice and low when they first come by. I have found that singles will often plop in on a first swing, but with a group the leading birds will pitch as if going to land, but are pushed up by the trailing birds. I do not know if this is because they are spooked, or just simply a routine. I have witnessed flocks on the lake while not hunting do this time and again. Wait for the second swing on groups, usually on the second swing the birds will be closer, and be flying slower. And after the first swing, hit them with the call. As soon as they abort the landing I hit them with a relaxed 5 note, (usually Qu-quack quack quack quack) similar to a greeting. If needed, some lazy mellow feeding calls may help. Wait for the second swing, and resort to the third as a last resort. If birds dont pitch on the third, they usually find something wrong.

-Perfect your spread, quality over quantity. Yes, those early season birds will come in close enough with a less than duckish spread, but after opening weekend you will have trouble pulling all those birds in on public land. I have dozens upon dozens of decoys, ranging from hotbuys to full flocked, and full bodies. be real, dont over do it. I have hunted over spreads of 3 decoys to 5 dozen, and if the birds don't like it they dont like it. Numbers can help certainly, but I hunt public where I always carry, canoe, or kayak decoys in. I dont have room enough for 100 decoys in my little old town. I had great success over a spread of 12-18 decoys, 6 being full bodies. use decent magnum decoys. 1 dozen large quality decoys will work better than 3 dozen cheapies.

- Just a short piece of a memorable hunt I'd like to share where these tactics helped.
I was hunting a coastal area, where a river dumped into the ocean, the terrain was salt marshy, and at low tide the birds liked to walk the sand flats for snails. Due to the tide, I was not able to get into the spot until close to 130, with legal shooting ending at 4. by 2 I was setup and ready. In Maine the limit is 6, no more than 4 of a species, and only 1 black. Because it was late december, the only birds around were mallards and blacks so I shot until I had those 5. Within a little over an hour I had shot my 5 birds, and decided to wait out the remaining time to observe. With my gun unloaded, and calls down, I just sat back in my layout with my spread and watched birds pile on me. The first few to land were the least committed, but after that they funneled in like I wasn't even there. I had birds walking with 10' of my layout, which was positioned on an open sandbar with no concealment besides the grass I had attached to it. Those 45 minutes of just watching 200+ birds land all around me were heaven. I realized then how a perfected setup is worth more than the most expensive calls money can buy. How concealment is key. Even though my blind literally was totally out of the ordinary on that bare sandbar, the grass I had covered it in, and no movement made the birds completely oblivious to my existence.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:03 pm

Indaswamp wrote: The first few to land were the least committed, but after that they funneled in like I wasn't even there.

That's because the best decoys in the world are live birds, and once a few live birds are milling around in your spread, the rest will come in with little hesitation. Happens every time....
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:07 am

Headlamps are super for setting decoys, but, I always have a call lanyard around my neck with a mini mag style flashlight attached to it. The one I prefer is a Rayovac Indestructible 2 AA 100 Lumen Flashlight From Home Depot for 14 bucks. It will shine a beam a hundred and fifty yards with no problem and it works great cutting thru fog. Also,Its about the same size as a duck call ands and will work on a lanyard with no problem
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby robs 1 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:57 pm

When using Avery keel grabber weights where the rubber is being attached to the lead put a key ring. It puts less stress on the rubber nd it makes it last longer. :smile:
robs 1
hunter

Postby parksm7 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:40 am

SCduckhunter69 wrote:PRO TIP- If you live in south carolina just stay home we don't have any ducks :thumbsup:

quoted for the truth. just stay in bed and save your money lol
parksm7
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:03 am

mudpack wrote:
Indaswamp wrote: The first few to land were the least committed, but after that they funneled in like I wasn't even there.

That's because the best decoys in the world are live birds, and once a few live birds are milling around in your spread, the rest will come in with little hesitation. Happens every time....

That's why I have a couple of........uh, never mind.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Re: Re:

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:06 am

mudpack wrote: Picking up too early is a common mistake.

Couldn't agree more! Something way better might come in just before closing time! :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:09 am

Indaswamp wrote:Train your dog to retrieve your wallet and keys if laying around....might save your azz if you drop them in the woods or marsh. It has saved my azz a couple times. :thumbsup:

Gotten me a few extra credit cards and cars, too, Inda! :thumbsup: :lol3: :lol3: Nothing makes a dog prouder than to cruise around in a new Land Rover he found the keys for! I often use the new cards to buy him really special treats. Cost is certainly no limit and he deserves it! :thumbsup: Ah, the sporting life! Fresh air, exercise, the fair pursuit of game, the end of a good day afield in a grand hotel drinking the very best scotch.........all paid for with someone else's credit card. Just doesn't get much better than that!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Re: Re:

Postby webfettish » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:06 pm

mudpack wrote: Unless you have a compelling reason to end the hunt before sundown, stick it out until the bitter end. You will learn a lot about the areas, about the ducks, about yourself, about your God....even if you don't get your limit.
Picking up too early is a common mistake.

This is true if you aren't hunting near a roost, otherwise morning hunt, then pick up and leave it alone for the night.

No hunt roost! :fingerpt:
webfettish
hunter

Postby Chuckleschuck » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:02 pm

Hey all,
I have lived in NoVa for my whole life but have not been very greatly excited about waterfowl hunting. I was/am a huge whitetail hunting enthusiast however the past season I got addicted to waterfowl hunting. I killed a few geese but no ducks. I am looking for anywhere to hunt waterfowl? Any ideas? I have a job boat with a duck blind and a canoe I am considering decking out for waterfowl hunting. I live by Winchester. I have the dekes and boats if someone has the spots! Thanks for the help guys and girls.
-Charlie
Chuckleschuck
Newb

Postby Poule_d'eauwhisperer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:40 pm

Any chance you get, bring a kid outdoors. It doesn't matter if you're going fishing, scouting, hunting, or anything for that matter; just as long as they get outdoors. Besides, who else is going to carry on the tradition of waterfowling?
Poule_d'eauwhisperer
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:35 pm

Poule_d'eauwhisperer wrote:Any chance you get, bring a kid outdoors. It doesn't matter if you're going fishing, scouting, hunting, or anything for that matter; just as long as they get outdoors. Besides, who else is going to carry on the tradition of waterfowling?

Great point, whatever your name is! :lol3: Plus, someone needs to run for shells, pluck the birds, get you out on jr. hunt days, carry decoys, guns, drive if you drink too much after the hunt, clean the vehicle when you get home, and bring his 17 year old girlfriends over to the house for pool parties. Yep, nothing like introducing kids to the sporting life! :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby tem3 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:50 pm

A wave runner is not a viable alternative for a duck boat.
WDE!
tem3
hunter

Postby webfettish » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:23 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
Poule_d'eauwhisperer wrote:Any chance you get, bring a kid outdoors. It doesn't matter if you're going fishing, scouting, hunting, or anything for that matter; just as long as they get outdoors. Besides, who else is going to carry on the tradition of waterfowling?

Great point, whatever your name is! :lol3: Plus, someone needs to run for shells, pluck the birds, get you out on jr. hunt days, carry decoys, guns, drive if you drink too much after the hunt, clean the vehicle when you get home, and bring his 17 year old girlfriends over to the house for pool parties. Yep, nothing like introducing kids to the sporting life! :thumbsup:

Dad?
webfettish
hunter

Postby TaylorMann1 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:17 am

cluckmeister wrote:Headlamps are super for setting decoys, but, I always have a call lanyard around my neck with a mini mag style flashlight attached to it. The one I prefer is a Rayovac Indestructible 2 AA 100 Lumen Flashlight From Home Depot for 14 bucks. It will shine a beam a hundred and fifty yards with no problem and it works great cutting thru fog. Also,Its about the same size as a duck call ands and will work on a lanyard with no problem

You can't get a better flashlight for the money. IMO
TaylorMann1
hunter

Postby shooter5635 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:05 am

It took me two days but I finally made it through all 37 pages.

My tip would have to be clean your gun after every hunt. Most people spend $800-$1600 on a gun and then get mad when it doesn't operate correctly. Clean. Your. Gun. A few of my buddies don't clean their auto loaders regularly and have nothing but problems come end of season. Take the half hour to fully disassemble your firearm and give it the love and attention it deserves. Your wife/girlfriend might get jealous though, so be careful... :help:
shooter5635
hunter

Postby addicted2fowledbehavior » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:04 pm

If you have a male dog and he's hesitant to jump in the water early in the morning for the first time on those bitter cold days get just his balls wet and he won't think twice about jumping in the rest of the day. Just like people once you dive in the first time your good. It's true for my dog. Hope it helps
addicted2fowledbehavior
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:59 am

addicted2fowledbehavior wrote:If you have a male dog and he's hesitant to jump in the water early in the morning for the first time on those bitter cold days get just his balls wet and he won't think twice about jumping in the rest of the day. Just like people once you dive in the first time your good. It's true for my dog. Hope it helps

Ball toucher
Save the Pangolins.

Dixie Decoys brand ambassador
https://www.dixiedecoys.com/
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:27 am

addicted2fowledbehavior wrote:If you have a male dog and he's hesitant to jump in the water early in the morning for the first time on those bitter cold days get just his balls wet and he won't think twice about jumping in the rest of the day. Just like people once you dive in the first time your good. It's true for my dog. Hope it helps

Say the water is all frozen, and you don't have any water. Will your tongue work or no? Thanks for the help
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:31 am

What if your dog is neutered ? do you splash cold water on his butthole?
Save the Pangolins.

OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:13 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

Or maybe his empty coinpurse
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:07 am

OmegaRed wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

I'd hate to have a cold wet coinpurse
Save the Pangolins.

OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:09 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

But once you do, you'll want to jump right in the pool without your floaties
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:14 am

OmegaRed wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

But once you do, you'll want to jump right in the pool without your floaties

If i'm working for a guy and at o dark 30 he splashes ice water on my shnutz first thing. I'm going back to the house. I bet his dog bites
Save the Pangolins.

OHIODUCKA5
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole