Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby tbossart » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:13 pm

If you hunt in the fields...bring a rake.
tbossart
hunter
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby ksgoosekillr » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:54 pm

every now and then you or someone with you will shoot a shell that at some point was wet causing a dud and a stuck wad in the barrel. The fastest and safest way to remove it is to take your barrel off and remove one of the AA or AAA batteries from your headlamp and drop the battery in the barrel from the chamber side. Swing it if its a bad jam, but the coating on the battery protects the barrel and force of the battery removes the wad. Back to hunting
ksgoosekillr
hunter
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:41 pm

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby micneador » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:56 pm

ksgoosekillr wrote:every now and then you or someone with you will shoot a shell that at some point was wet causing a dud and a stuck wad in the barrel. The fastest and safest way to remove it is to take your barrel off and remove one of the AA or AAA batteries from your headlamp and drop the battery in the barrel from the chamber side. Swing it if its a bad jam, but the coating on the battery protects the barrel and force of the battery removes the wad. Back to hunting



I could see someone releasing their barrel and it flying off into the water. No hunting for you!
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
User avatar
micneador
hunter
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: sapulpa, ok

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:24 am

this method of cooking didnt work very well :huh: ...I think I missed a few vital steps in the process :biggrin:
Attachments
IMG_2370.JPG
IMG_2370.JPG (108.31 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
User avatar
Elvis Kiwi
hunter
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:16 am
Location: South Island New Zealand

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby webfettish » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:02 am

This is a duck...
Image

This is a duck on pot...
Image
User avatar
webfettish
hunter
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:03 am
Location: Eldorado, WI

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
poor wee fella had been struck by a car,hen and another drake "bought the farm" but this fella dazed but still alive,I put him in long grass in morning and collected him after work.four days of living in our house ,dog cage at night and bath tub during day and he had recovered ,by day 3 he up to preening feathers,we put him out on back lawn in the drizzly rain and half hour later he had gone back to wild again :thumbsup:
User avatar
Elvis Kiwi
hunter
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:16 am
Location: South Island New Zealand

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby kcwellington » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:28 am

ksgoosekillr wrote:every now and then you or someone with you will shoot a shell that at some point was wet causing a dud and a stuck wad in the barrel. The fastest and safest way to remove it is to take your barrel off and remove one of the AA or AAA batteries from your headlamp and drop the battery in the barrel from the chamber side. Swing it if its a bad jam, but the coating on the battery protects the barrel and force of the battery removes the wad. Back to hunting

....and when you swing it, your battery flies halfway across the river. Now you've got another problem...your headlamp wont work. :crying: I just take the cleaning rod out of my cleaning kit and push it out..... and my headlamp still works. :thumbsup:
kcwellington
hunter
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:13 pm
Location: Bama

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:53 pm

^Someone boot this MF
OmegaRed
Fabio
 
Posts: 6123
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby Dep6 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:57 pm

:hammer: :hammer: :thumbsup:
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
User avatar
Dep6
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9782
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:17 pm
Location: GA

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby camoedfowler » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:30 pm

OmegaRed wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
addicted2fowledbehavior wrote:If you have a male dog and he's hesitant to jump in the water early in the morning for the first time on those bitter cold days get just his balls wet and he won't think twice about jumping in the rest of the day. Just like people once you dive in the first time your good. It's true for my dog. Hope it helps


What if your dog is neutered ? do you splash cold water on his butthole?


Or maybe his empty coinpurse


I'd hate to have a cold wet coinpurse


But once you do, you'll want to jump right in the pool without your floaties



Too damn funny, I just crap myself :clapping:
camoedfowler
hunter
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:09 pm
Location: inda bush

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:56 pm

kcwellington wrote:
ksgoosekillr wrote:every now and then you or someone with you will shoot a shell that at some point was wet causing a dud and a stuck wad in the barrel. The fastest and safest way to remove it is to take your barrel off and remove one of the AA or AAA batteries from your headlamp and drop the battery in the barrel from the chamber side. Swing it if its a bad jam, but the coating on the battery protects the barrel and force of the battery removes the wad. Back to hunting

....and when you swing it, your battery flies halfway across the river. Now you've got another problem...your headlamp wont work. :crying: I just take the cleaning rod out of my cleaning kit and push it out..... and my headlamp still works. :thumbsup:


:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
:lol:

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:03 am

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby NebraskaSam » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:16 pm

Check out Powderhook's "Waterfowl Tracker" app. It is a great resource to see the migration of birds and how high the migration activity is in your area. It is a great tool to help you decide if you want to go out and sit in the blind. You can check it out here, http://waterfowltracker.com/ . It has helped me decide when the perfect time to sneak out into the field and get some good hunting in. The reports come from hunters like you and I. The more accurate the reports you post the better the information is on the map. Check it out online or in the app store on your phone! http://waterfowltracker.com/
NebrSam
NebraskaSam
Newb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby Goose Isle Gunner » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:27 am

Don't eat about 20 hot wings and drink a 12 pack the night before a hunt. My friend found out the hard way last year. He was sharting hot lava on a muskrat den for much of the morning. It was probably 20 degrees with a 20 mph wind too.
Goose Isle Gunner
hunter
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby ILwaterfowl71 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:27 am

Goose Isle Gunner wrote:Don't eat about 20 hot wings and drink a 12 pack the night before a hunt. My friend found out the hard way last year. He was sharting hot lava on a muskrat den for much of the morning. It was probably 20 degrees with a 20 mph wind too.


Ugh been there. Not fun at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
ILwaterfowl71
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: N ILL

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby BOBBYLlGHT » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:29 pm

Goose Isle Gunner wrote:Don't eat about 20 hot wings and drink a 12 pack the night before a hunt. My friend found out the hard way last year. He was sharting hot lava on a muskrat den for much of the morning. It was probably 20 degrees with a 20 mph wind too.


Haha I always bring a roll of toilet paper in my blind bag for this exact reason!
BOBBYLlGHT
hunter
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby TheMiz » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:17 pm

If it looks like someone is about to set up too close you. Start yelling obnoxiously loud at your buddies. Make sure that the word/topics coming out of your mouth are crazy and prejudice enough to cause the other hunters enough fear for their well being that they leave the area. Also if the above tactic pulls you out of your "comfort zone" just try blowing your duck calls with the most horrible and loud technique you can manage and yell about how much you love to sky blast and make sure to continuously refer to your 80 yard all time sky busting record.
User avatar
TheMiz
hunter
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:59 am
Location: KS

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby panthertrainhunter » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:19 pm

TheMiz wrote:If it looks like someone is about to set up too close you. Start yelling obnoxiously loud at your buddies. Make sure that the word/topics coming out of your mouth are crazy and prejudice enough to cause the other hunters enough fear for their well being that they leave the area. Also if the above tactic pulls you out of your "comfort zone" just try blowing your duck calls with the most horrible and loud technique you can manage and yell about how much you love to sky blast and make sure to continuously refer to your 80 yard all time sky busting record.

Everything you just describes is about 75% of the morons on public ground :crying: :fingerhead:
“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
User avatar
panthertrainhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby TheMiz » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:58 pm

panthertrainhunter wrote:
TheMiz wrote:If it looks like someone is about to set up too close you. Start yelling obnoxiously loud at your buddies. Make sure that the word/topics coming out of your mouth are crazy and prejudice enough to cause the other hunters enough fear for their well being that they leave the area. Also if the above tactic pulls you out of your "comfort zone" just try blowing your duck calls with the most horrible and loud technique you can manage and yell about how much you love to sky blast and make sure to continuously refer to your 80 yard all time sky busting record.

Everything you just describes is about 75% of the morons on public ground :crying: :fingerhead:


Yup, that's the idea. Fight fire with fire. Sadly in this case the fire you're trying to fight doesn't realize what an ****** the both of you are being.
User avatar
TheMiz
hunter
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:59 am
Location: KS

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby panthertrainhunter » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:58 am

TheMiz wrote:
panthertrainhunter wrote:
TheMiz wrote:If it looks like someone is about to set up too close you. Start yelling obnoxiously loud at your buddies. Make sure that the word/topics coming out of your mouth are crazy and prejudice enough to cause the other hunters enough fear for their well being that they leave the area. Also if the above tactic pulls you out of your "comfort zone" just try blowing your duck calls with the most horrible and loud technique you can manage and yell about how much you love to sky blast and make sure to continuously refer to your 80 yard all time sky busting record.

Everything you just describes is about 75% of the morons on public ground :crying: :fingerhead:


Yup, that's the idea. Fight fire with fire. Sadly in this case the fire you're trying to fight doesn't realize what an ****** the both of you are being.

I've gone more to the method of equipping everyone in the boat with nice bright spot lights and blinding them until they leave. Usually works and is an entertaining way to begin the morning!
“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
User avatar
panthertrainhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby Pacific Flyway Waterfowler » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:07 am

We spend a lot of time scouting and setting up for success. Tip number one is to scout, scout, scout! Observe what the birds are doing and when they are doing it. There is always a chance at a bird or two in the morning flight or late afternoon just before the end of the day but, we find that scouting and patterning birds ultimately leads to greater success.

Check out our latest video from the day after Thanksgiving 2015. We watched these birds for a couple of days and found that they were moving to the fields and feeding in the early afternoon when the temperatures were just climbing out of the 30's. All the other local hunters had left the fields after the morning flight. We stuck it out knowing that the birds would show and it paid off. Watch the video for some fun mallard action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad6pn-iK8Vo
Pacific Flyway Waterfowler
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re:

Postby Rusty Shackleford » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:21 pm

Franchi wrote:Heres a little tip I heard from an old timer at the hunting camp. If you are interested in making your own decoy weights by melting your own lead, try using a muffin pan for the mold. I have used this before and my weights came out perfect. I also used clothes line wire instead of coat hangers for the hooks and the clothes line wire lets you have something bendable to wrap around the keel or head for a sucure line setup.

Good Luck

:salude:



Jesus. Game winner sells the malleable wrap around decoy weights for about .50 a pop. seems like a lot of trouble to make your own weights . . .
Rusty Shackleford
hunter
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:55 pm

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby Rusty Shackleford » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:50 am

Tips from North Florida:

I carry a back pack with an extra T-shirt (in Florida you sweat to death or freeze to death), extra set of batteries for head lamp and spotlight (if your spotlight dies you have to wait for sun up to set up), a tupperware container w/ hunting license, wallet, keys, cell phone, and boat registration), a tupperware container w a turkey sandwhich, a couple of bottles of water, and maybe a beer. Everything in zip lock baggies in case it rains or falls in the water.

looking for some good decoy spread tips . . .
Rusty Shackleford
hunter
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:55 pm

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby BGipson » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:16 am

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Tips from North Florida:

I carry a back pack with an extra T-shirt (in Florida you sweat to death or freeze to death), extra set of batteries for head lamp and spotlight (if your spotlight dies you have to wait for sun up to set up), a tupperware container w/ hunting license, wallet, keys, cell phone, and boat registration), a tupperware container w a turkey sandwhich, a couple of bottles of water, and maybe a beer. Everything in zip lock baggies in case it rains or falls in the water.

looking for some good decoy spread tips . . .

In the water (unless you're hunting a field) and match the species in the area. My top 4 species killed are mallard, greenwing teal, wigeon and Pintail so you can guess the 4 species I use any given hunt.

sent from jail
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
User avatar
BGipson
hunter
 
Posts: 2926
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:19 pm
Location: SW WY / SE ID

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby Rusty Shackleford » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:56 am

Thanks BGipson.

We get a lot of teal. So the majority of my spread is teal. We also get a bunch of Ruddys, Scaup, and Divers.
I use about 15 teal, leaving enough room for birds to land . . .

I also have 4 Scaup hens I put seperate from the teal close to the shore w/ 2 feeder Scaup drakes.

I totally conceal my boat and hike about 10 yards from it, hunt from behind some tall grass or palm bushes by the spread. Im in full camo including face mask and gloves . . .

I'm just not limiting out or dropping as many birds as the other guys at the boat ramp . . .
Rusty Shackleford
hunter
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:55 pm

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby BGipson » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:42 am

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Thanks BGipson.

We get a lot of teal. So the majority of my spread is teal. We also get a bunch of Ruddys, Scaup, and Divers.
I use about 15 teal, leaving enough room for birds to land . . .

I also have 4 Scaup hens I put seperate from the teal close to the shore w/ 2 feeder Scaup drakes.

I totally conceal my boat and hike about 10 yards from it, hunt from behind some tall grass or palm bushes by the spread. Im in full camo including face mask and gloves . . .

I'm just not limiting out or dropping as many birds as the other guys at the boat ramp . . .

Time to scout some new water with more ducks or spend more time on clays during the summer so you up your hit %.

sent from jail
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
User avatar
BGipson
hunter
 
Posts: 2926
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:19 pm
Location: SW WY / SE ID

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 18 guests