Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby BGipson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:34 am

walnuts4x4 wrote:Let us know if they work out... I've done concrete for regular anchors but never Texas rigged...
Made almost identical when I was a broke college kid and they worked great. Green plastic coated cable clothesline and I had Texas rigs before they existed on the market in 2007/2008
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby nswartz34 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:44 pm

I feel like the concrete would begin to scrape the decoys over time do yourself a favor and just spend the money on some lifetime Texas rigs had mine for two years and I’m so glad I got em I never worry about a tangle or the weights coming off. Just a good solid product.
nswartz34
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:15 pm

They worked awesome. I left the plastic on and just painted them. They are very light though, if I was to do it again I'd double up or use bigger Pvc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby bigrick_2u » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:33 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:They worked awesome. I left the plastic on and just painted them. They are very light though, if I was to do it again I'd double up or use bigger Pvc

Clyde, I don't care how you would do whatever it is that you're talking about. I just want to say that you're beautiful.

And although Clyde is a strange name for someone with your attributes, it is fine with me.

Cheers.
“The cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.”
― Henry David Thoreau, Walden
bigrick_2u
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:08 pm

bigrick_2u wrote:
DuckManClyde wrote:They worked awesome. I left the plastic on and just painted them. They are very light though, if I was to do it again I'd double up or use bigger Pvc

Clyde, I don't care how you would do whatever it is that you're talking about. I just want to say that you're beautiful.

And although Clyde is a strange name for someone with your attributes, it is fine with me.

Cheers.

That's my future wife Melanie Iglesias

If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Northerner » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:53 pm

Make your camo dipped finish last forever...

I read from time to time that camo finished guns will show wear quickly. I have several that have seen over a decade of use (one in particular) and look new...and i use them pretty hard. To achieve this...understand the finish itself. The hydro dip graphic its self is not durable by any stretch. It can rub off, chip off etc. Its the clear coat that goes on over this that provides all of the wear protection be it from handling, solvents, UV etc. Ive heard from the uninformed that once they start to "chip" they cannot be fixed. This is simply not true.

My tip of the day is to re-apply this clear finish annually to keep your gun looking like new indefinitely. Every year when the season closes and I'm getting ready to start shooting clays i go through this simple process.

1. Remove the forend and tape off the receiver where the mag tube joins and also the recoil pad
2. Degrease with denatured alcohol using a soft brush in the checkering if your gun has it...the newer style 870s do not so i forego this
3. Apply rattle can matte finish clear coat in several thin coats allowing 15 between to dry. ( I do 5 or 6 light coats)

The type of clear doesn't matter...i typically use krylon as its available at Walmart and is very durable....just be sure to use MATTE

Thats it...no more camo wearing off...no more chipping...no more paying $200 to get the gun redone every 5 or 6 years.

I hear the also common mis-conception that brand A uses a better finish than brand B etc. EVERY major manufacturer jobs this out...to multiple vendors.
An 1100...because this doesn't have to be complicated
Northerner
hunter

Postby JDP01 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:10 pm

BOBBYLlGHT wrote:
Goose Isle Gunner wrote:Don't eat about 20 hot wings and drink a 12 pack the night before a hunt. My friend found out the hard way last year. He was sharting hot lava on a muskrat den for much of the morning. It was probably 20 degrees with a 20 mph wind too.

Haha I always bring a roll of toilet paper in my blind bag for this exact reason!

Instead of a roll of TP throw a pack of wet wipes in your blind bag!
JDP01
hunter

Postby walnuts4x4 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:14 pm

If time allows place the package of wet wipes inside your waders to allow body heat to warm them up....
walnuts4x4
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:00 pm

Helpful tip, don't eat lots of turkey, followed by a several pieces of pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and then hunt on the following Friday
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby nswartz34 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:28 pm

If you haul your decoys in your boat on the way to the ramp either strap them down or place heavier bags on top of the light ones. Had a bag of fullbodies fly out and break my tiller handle on a brand new motor got the dekes back though. Also put hydroturf in your boats much easier to walk on and safer too.
nswartz34
hunter

Postby snowboard704 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:59 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Helpful tip, don't eat lots of turkey, followed by a several pieces of pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and then hunt on the following Friday

Best tip ive seen so far :clapping:
snowboard704
hunter

Postby SERE Nate » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:31 pm

#1, most waders have a male buckle on one shoulder, and a female buckle on the other shoulder. When you have to take a leak, buckle them together so they are in front of your neck, pull down the front and do your business. Makes it a whole lot easier to find your straps when you are done.

#2, if you are making a hard blind for your boat or property, look into a product called coroplast. Its basically plastic cardboard. Its waterproof, windproof, insulated, lightweight, easy to cut and shape, and not too expensive. I have used it on my last 2 boat blinds and I love it.
SERE Nate
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:21 am

DuckManClyde wrote:Went with all new avian deeks this year. Decided to Texas rig them. But with the price of weights I decided to make my own.

I work concrete construction so the boss gave me a bag of mix, some pvc, and I grabbed straws today. Will post back when they've been tested. 2inches tall 1 inch ID. Image

We used DIXIE CUPS instead of PVC cheep n Easy.
Google is your friend......Google earth is your Enemy
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby scheister » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:23 pm

18 inch zip ties to anchor dekes to concrete weights in foot or less of water in flooded rice fields foR a permanent spread. Fast, easy, no untied floaters. Modest cost for 400+ dekes.
scheister
hunter

Postby Old dude » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:43 pm

A few things I have in my bag. Wet wipes , hand warmers, stub of a candle and lighter. Wet wipes and hand warmers we all know what they are not for. Stub of candle and lighter just in case someone gets wet and you have to build a fire.
Old dude
hunter

Postby Lt. Dan Taylor » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:47 pm

put your toilet paper roll over your gun barrel then lean it against a tree,rolls right off, almost makes you feel at home
Lt. Dan Taylor
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:34 am

I have these up under the gunnels of my grass boat and lay out boat. They are cheap, last forever and work awesome.
Huge help..
Attachments
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (13.09 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Belowaveragehunter11 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:28 pm

Little tip I’ve learned over the years with about 8 duck boats over my lifetime all ranging in quality. ALWAYS have as many paddles and hand bails( I use milk jugs cut in half as it provides a nice handle) as the amount of hunters in your boat. Nothing is worse than having 4 guys in your boat having to alternate paddling or bailing in the case your battery is dead and you can’t bilge.

Belowaveragehunter11
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:32 pm

Belowaveragehunter11 wrote:Little tip I’ve learned over the years with about 8 duck boats over my lifetime all ranging in quality. ALWAYS have as many paddles and hand bails( I use milk jugs cut in half as it provides a nice handle) as the amount of hunters in your boat. Nothing is worse than having 4 guys in your boat having to alternate paddling or bailing in the case your battery is dead and you can’t bilge.

Arizona Ice Tea gallon jugs are THE best bailers. They are gummy enough to not chip and crack when freezing and the ergonomics are perfect. (And the sweet tea aint bad)
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole