The migration

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

The migration

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:29 pm

Western Canada BC and Alberta have just gone thru a series of cold snaps, and even some folk in Montana and N Idaho are talking seven inches of snow.
Now 'Waterfowlers of Idaho' on FB are posting pictures of limits of ducks across that state along the Snake river, and even some of my hunting partners have been seeing lots, and bagging limits of Mallard and local geese with a few groups of migrant geese (They believe) wandering thru the area with that 'lost' look new birds often display until the locals take them in hand.
I see weather news saying the upper mid west is getting cold weather too, do you guys hunting there notice big increases of new birds yet?
After the last couple of rather dismal seasons we deserve a good long hunt with an early migration moving in and staying for a while. So far we've had day after day of really heavy winds, but the forecast is for light winds for two weeks at least (they say), below freezing cold temps at night and 40*s to low 50*s during the day.
Should anchor arriving birds right here!
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Re: The migration

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:49 pm

Birds arriving here in Kansas also, to bad we dont have any water for them. Its drier than a pop corn fart
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:02 pm

Got first hand evidence myself while driving to Bible study tonight.
Corn field cut and once lightly scratched. One end loaded with Honkers, the rest of field covered (in select locations) with carpets of Mallards. The air above the field looked like swarms of mosquitoes, cupped and dropping in everywhere. Drove length of field, perhaps 300 yards, and when I again passed the geese, there were over 3 times as many as 5 minutes before. Hundreds!
Son-in-Law is checking his connections for access.
Field across the street have nearly 400+ geese. If they don't turn under the grain stubble left there, the hunt there could be one for the books in the next week or so!
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:32 am

Good luck getting permission there FS!!
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
Dep6
Site Admin

Return to The Honey Hole