Drought

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Drought

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:16 pm

Eastern Idaho now seems to be experiencing as long a drought as I have seen in the 35 years we have lived here.
Until June we had a nice wet Spring, and then it turned off. Perhaps four very short showers until Fall, and now only four 1" snowfalls since.
The days are running up to the mid-30*s but the nights are single digits to mid teens.
We had some pretty fair hunts on local geese early on, but on his best day ever, Solomon wasn't as wise as our geese have become lately .....being the only game in town.
If the jet stream shifts bringing in our wet storms here and giving a good dump on the fields in Canada, we might still have a good long hunt, but it better start soon.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Re: Drought

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:24 am

Unfortunately, the real meteorologist (Accuweather) forecasted a drought west of the Mississippi for fall and got it right this time. :sad:

Here is West Central Missouri, we can usually count on a couple of significant rains to help with the duck puddles either through watershed or brief floods of low areas, but not this year. :no:

We have been dependent on pumping, and when the surrounding woods are dry, its like pumping water into a sponge. And now the three inch pump will not start, so I hauled it out on Sunday and took to a shop.

Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes, and we still have huntable water though it would be nice to get another 24-48 hours of pump time. Lacking that, we will dry out in a couple of weeks. :help:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
Swamp Azz

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:33 am

Rat Creek wrote:Unfortunately, the real meteorologist (Accuweather) forecasted a drought west of the Mississippi for fall and got it right this time. :sad:

Here is West Central Missouri, we can usually count on a couple of significant rains to help with the duck puddles either through watershed or brief floods of low areas, but not this year. :no:

We have been dependent on pumping, and when the surrounding woods are dry, its like pumping water into a sponge. And now the three inch pump will not start, so I hauled it out on Sunday and took to a shop.

Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes, and we still have huntable water though it would be nice to get another 24-48 hours of pump time. Lacking that, we will dry out in a couple of weeks. :help:

Central Kansas is drier than a pop corn fart!
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Dep6 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:27 am

I hate to hear that for all of you. If I could pass off some of the rain we been getting, I promise, I would send it right on yall's way!!

4 plus inches since last Wednesday, but we didn't see any of the snow flurries that others in GA did.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:42 am

cluckmeister wrote:Central Kansas is drier than a pop corn fart!

Yes, it certainly is.

Hard to believe that 18 months ago we had so much rain that folks around here were pumping out basements and lower floors of split-levels. Be careful what you pray for.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:55 am

:lol3: So true. One little sump pump failure and I see people dragging 500 pound rolls of wet carpeting to the curb. :sad:

We got our little three inch pump repaired and will drag it back into the wooded pothole in west central Missouri on Saturday for 24 hours of pumping, which will require a 20 foot lift from the very low river. Getting the thing primed is always a real treat. :sad:

If work schedules remain soft, I will make the three hour round trip drive Monday afternoon with another ten gallons of fuel to get another 24 hour pump cycle. Assuming success, which is a big assumption, that should give us sufficient water to get us to the end of the season (first week in January). :beer:

And I will not be surprised if Mother Nature provides a flood on our club (which is in a flood easement) shortly after all this effort, though I will still welcome it. :yes: That seems to be how it goes. :oops:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
Swamp Azz

Return to The Honey Hole