Is Sitka Worth It?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Is Sitka Worth It?

Postby Crazy Coot » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:34 am

Just curious to hear from those of you that have tried Sitka. Is it worth the extra $? If so, how? Anyone tried it and not been pleased with it?
I've been very pleased with Drake and other brands for years, but several of my buddies have slowly switched to Sitka and seem to love it. I'm interested in any input.
Crazy Coot
hunter

Re: Is Sitka Worth It?

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:43 am

Crazy Coot wrote:Just curious to hear from those of you that have tried Sitka. Is it worth the extra $? If so, how? Anyone tried it and not been pleased with it?
I've been very pleased with Drake and other brands for years, but several of my buddies have slowly switched to Sitka and seem to love it. I'm interested in any input.

Don't have any. Hear it's quality wear though. Matter of use/need and budget. I prefer quality but it's always possible to over estimate the ROI. My billiards balls are $400.00 a set when you can buy pool balls all day long for $100.00 or so. But mine will outlive me and play great to the end. Clothing I don't suffer enough with mid range gear to spend the money.

I see a lot of (newer) used for sale. Which seems odd. Buyer remorse? Not the products fault. YMMV
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:06 am

I do not have a set of balls like HNTFSH, but understand the sentiment. :oops:

I am cheap and always fall on the lower price end of this which might be a mistake as we tend to keep jackets and such for a very long time. One place going cheap seems to work for me is waders. I seem to always snag that nail on the blind or find that the dry rot arrived earlier. :sad:

My "best" and most expensive jacket is my very cold weather coat, and only gets out 2-3 times each year as we don't get bone chilling cold here is west central Missouri until very late in the season. That coat will outlive me. :yes:

If the sitka fits well, has sufficient pockets and storage, and your friends recommend it, why not? :hammer:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
Swamp Azz

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:10 am

Rat Creek wrote:I do not have a set of balls like HNTFSH, but understand the sentiment. :oops:

You should see 'em shined up! :grooving:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:45 am

HNTFSH wrote:
Rat Creek wrote:I do not have a set of balls like HNTFSH, but understand the sentiment. :oops:

Talking about balls. Yesterday a gentleman with the biggest set Ive ever heard of passed away RIP Chuck Yeager
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Dep6 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:47 am

You should see 'em shined up!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I gotta pass on that one!!

My oldest nephew, the money maker, swears by it now, he got turned on to Sitka at his duck club in AR, though I can't get an invite.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:52 pm

HNTFSH wrote:

Mmmmm. Sounds impressive. :love: But how do they compare to Schweddy Balls? :huh:

Rat Creek
Rat Creek
Swamp Azz

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:30 pm

My absolute favorite thing about DHC -- how a conversation can get completely derailed in 3-4 posts. :lol3:

I have some Sitka gear and think it's top tier quality, but would never pay full price for the stuff. I know of a website that will have it for 30-40% off from time to time. If you're patient and watch camofire.com, they will have Sitka gear somewhat regularly for decent deals.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote: think it's top tier quality, but would never pay full price for the stuff.

Kind of like Yeti. Rather have an RTIC and lose the coolness of the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:37 pm

#1 China made

I aint a cool kid so I wouldn't spend the money

A lot of guys selling their shitka gear , why is that
OGblackcloud
Super Moderator

Postby Tim Terrell » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:20 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:#1 China made

----
Spoken like a guy that don't have a clue what he's talking about. LOL.
Best hunting gear I've ever found--'specially with 20%-50% off sales--and wearing it will keep this aging hunter out in the field/marsh for maybe another 10 years or so. (If my legs don't give out.) Ain't got nothing to do about being cool... it's all about being comfortable-- warm and dry. Clearly you've never been close enough to any Sitka to actually try a piece on.
Name another brand of outdoor gear that has ANY value on the used market? That fact alone should tell you something as to it's quality. Best dog-walkin' gear on the planet in the off-season too, so it don't hang in my closet until hunting season. I could care less where it's made-- its top-quality, performs as advertised with clever features and that's what counts with me. Same as with my Nissan Xterra.
Spend your dollars how you like OG, but this gear has certainly been worth every dollar to me... yep, haters are gonna hate and ignorant is to the bone.
I say if HNT can spend nearly $400 for a pair of insulated FroggTogg (Rogers) insulated, breathable chesties, he can afford a Sitka Delta wading jacket. 'Be the best money he's spent in a while. :biggrin:
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:36 pm

Just called a guy to ask and he said so he can get the newer Sitka stuff.
If you're bagging on Sitka, you've never spent any time in harsh, cold weather in any of their gear.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Mike the Fox » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:04 am

The only sitka gear I own is a neck gaiter and an insulated gore Tex beanie type hat. I didn’t pay retail and it was still expensive but it definitely keeps me warm when hunting on the ocean in December and January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:14 am

Tim Terrell wrote:

----
Spoken like a guy that don't have a clue what he's talking about. LOL.
Best hunting gear I've ever found--'specially with 20%-50% off sales--and wearing it will keep this aging hunter out in the field/marsh for maybe another 10 years or so. (If my legs don't give out.) Ain't got nothing to do about being cool... it's all about being comfortable-- warm and dry. Clearly you've never been close enough to any Sitka to actually try a piece on.
Name another brand of outdoor gear that has ANY value on the used market? That fact alone should tell you something as to it's quality. Best dog-walkin' gear on the planet in the off-season too, so it don't hang in my closet until hunting season. I could care less where it's made-- its top-quality, performs as advertised with clever features and that's what counts with me. Same as with my Nissan Xterra.
Spend your dollars how you like OG, but this gear has certainly been worth every dollar to me... yep, haters are gonna hate and ignorant is to the bone.
I say if HNT can spend nearly $400 for a pair of insulated FroggTogg (Rogers) insulated, breathable chesties, he can afford a Sitka Delta wading jacket. 'Be the best money he's spent in a while. :biggrin:
--Tim

Whoa now...the waders were a desperation buy. :hammer: :lol3: They do resemble some FroggToggs but are different from what I see at Rogers. However, I have owned FroggToggs rain suits and breathable stocking foots for fishing and would maintain they are a good value buy. These were a little overpriced but it was like buying a box of mini powdered donuts at QwikMart at 3:00 am for $4.29 versus Kroger the night before at $1.29. :crying:

Let's not fool ourselves on the coolness factor. Maybe you're above that but many aren't. Just ask Yeti. Not to say either are bad products but there is an ego play with both. That's why they both make window stickers. :lol3:

Where I worry about you though is the Xterra. :huh: Normally the guys I see wearing Sitka to the honey hole are in H20's :bow:

The Xterra was discontinued in the U.S. after the 2015 model year. Poor fuel economy, declining sales, and mandated upgrades to safety and emissions were cited as reasons

I am happy to admit though, if it's "Harsh Condition" hunting or there is a possibility of Grizzly attacks on my cooler - I'm probably at home shooting straight pool in front of the fireplace with my fancy balls. :banana:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:48 am

Anyone feeling deja vu to the old Drake debates which gave one deja vu to the even older then-new Gor-Tex debates?
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:06 am

Sitka is low rent when compared to Filson. Tin cloth and wool. Im dry and warm in the harshest of conditions. Plus it’s made in the USA.

Bunch of wanna be chumps.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
Moderator in Training

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:26 am

jaysweet3 wrote:Sitka is low rent when compared to Filson. Tin cloth and wool. Im dry and warm in the harshest of conditions. Plus it’s made in the USA.

Bunch of wanna be chumps.

:lol3: Ouch!
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:59 am

jaysweet3
Moderator in Training

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:07 am

My man jay :thumbsup: :beer:
OGblackcloud
Super Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:31 am

jaysweet3 wrote:Sitka is low rent when compared to Filson. Tin cloth and wool. Im dry and warm in the harshest of conditions. Plus it’s made in the USA.

Don't forget the best part: they make you smell like a Chessie.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:56 am

Rick Hall wrote:

Don't forget the best part: they make you smell like a Chessie.

Now you've given him the excuse.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:58 am

You do have to love that waxed smell.
jaysweet3
Moderator in Training

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:12 am

jaysweet3 wrote:You do have to love that waxed smell.

:lol3: :lol3: Can always count on Jay to be a straight shooter!

I own a pair of Filson tin cloth pants and they are great pants, durable and do a fine job of keeping the legs warm and dry, however, that wax is something to get used to. It gets on everything – your hands, legs, truck seats, etc. How often are you supposed to re-wax Filson stuff?
Filson, much like Sitka, is way overpriced, so real question: If you’re looking for a warm canvas coat that is made in the US, why not Carhartt at a third the price? All the farm boys around here wear Carhartt and I’d imagine they’re out in the elements a lot more than most of us.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:32 am

HNTFSH wrote:Let's not fool ourselves on the coolness factor. Maybe you're above that but many aren't. Just ask Yeti. Not to say either are bad products but there is an ego play with both. That's why they both make window stickers. :lol3:

This is absolutely 100% true! To put everyone's mind at ease, my motivation for buying a Sitka parka wasn't done in hopes of becoming an instagram influencer.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:18 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:You do have to love that waxed smell.

:lol3: :lol3: Can always count on Jay to be a straight shooter!

I think he meant Brazilian.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Next

Return to The Honey Hole