Is Sitka Worth It?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Re: Is Sitka Worth It?

Postby Terrapin » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:17 pm

I started with Dakota Vest, then Dakota hat, then Duck Oven coat. This year for Christmas, I got (bought) the Delta wading jacket and Dakota pants. I suppose I spend a couple hundred every year. I hate being cold. I’m out about 50 days a year in wet and cold N Idaho. Sitka always functions as advertised and seems to hold up well. I can afford it, and I don’t like to feel like my gear limited my enjoyment of my days out hunting.

I took a guy hunting this fall on a pretty nice day. He made fun of my Sitka vest and coat. He’s poor and has limited earning potential, so I understand his objections. But then he wanted to quit at 9:30 because he was cold. So politeness caused me to quit as well. That’s unforgivable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Terrapin
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:31 am

You're a jerk
OGblackcloud
Super Moderator

Postby Madhook » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:28 am

I always tell anyone that hunts with me that we are going to hunt till I am ready to go. I drive 2 hours from my home to the marina then a 30 min boat ride to my perfered spot. I also keep a blanket and small tarp in the boat should someone need it to warm up.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Madhook
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:34 am

I'll quit when it's really cold or I'm really cold but I am never cold when there's birds.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby kahunna » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:03 am

I think...whoops, thought this was a deer hunting thread...sorry, carry on.

Merry Christmas from the family!
kahunna
hunter

Postby dduckman » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:04 pm

I own zero sitka waterfowl gear, have several base layers and jackets for mountain archery hunts, the stuff fits me like a glove and is warm and very functional. I got all mine on sale or even slightly used.

Well worth it to me.

As far as there waders go, I would just buy USIA for half the price, I assume they make Sitkas waders but have no idea really?
dduckman
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:24 pm

I haven't been on DHC in a while but years ago, this question came up quite a bit. I am sure if you search on it, you will find quite a few posts that I made about it.

The high majority of what I hunt in is Sitka. The year that they introduced their waterfowl line, a friend who had a Duck Oven let me borrow his for a few hunts. I bought one soon after. In years two and onward, I steadily added pieces. As others have mentioned, many pieces I added were after season deals at at least 30% off. Some pieces I got for 50% off.

Are they expensive? Yes. Are they worth it? In my opinion, they are if you wait and do not pay retail.

I will also add:
- I do not own their waders. I love my Cabela's breathables too much.
- In my opinion, their outerwear is better than their inner layers. I have not had great luck with their thermals and gloves. But the coats: Hudson, Duck Oven, Dakota vest, Parka, etc are amazing! If you were to try Sitka Gear (or are looking to start a collection), I would start with the outerwear first.

One of the main reasons why I like Sitka Gear the most is the company. I have never had any issues with any of their gear over the last 5 or so years until last year. One of the pockets on my Hudson jacket started to delaminate. I called Sitka, expecting them to tell me that it was well passed the warranty and I would have to come out of pocket. Nope. They nicely told me: we will send a box, you put your old coat in it and send it back, and we will send you a brand new Hudson, free of charge. And they did just that. (I will say that I like the older Hudson version better, but that is for another day.)
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Woodiewhacker82 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:58 pm

I don’t care about the cost or the quality it’s the tackiest looking camo I’ve ever seen.
Woodiewhacker82
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole