Layout Resto

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Layout Resto

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:30 am

This boat was built before WW2 and I got it in the early 90's. I gunned it for all those years and it was a great rig. During a fluke storm it filled at the dock and sank. The wind and current moved it under the floating dock that it was mored to. When the tide went out, the dock crushed it. It was "squished" and wracked (twisted.) I was devastated. I flipped it upside down and didn't even want to look at it. I have a great friend named Steve Sanford who is a master carver, boar-right, artist, on and on......... he took the boat back to his workshop 2 years ago. Here's the finished product.

Have a look at his website, there's a LOT to see.

https://stevenjaysanford.com/another-so ... y-to-hunt/

I don't know if you'll be able to access this without joining, but it's the full documentary of the resto.
http://www.duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/ ... ead#unread
Attachments
T 03 Aerial - full.JPG
ST D 06 bow quarter.jpg
Last edited by Slack Tide on Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Layout Resto

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:35 am

Looks good! :thumbsup: I remember that, glad you have it back. I'd have ZERO idea on where to even start. :oops:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:38 am

Looks great, Slack! Amazing what he was able to do with that boat considering it was completely crushed. :beer:
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:01 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:Looks great, Slack! Amazing what he was able to do with that boat considering it was completely crushed. :beer:

He used jacks inside the boat to "inflate it" and then a jig system with 2x4s screwed to the beams above to push down on one side while he jacked the other side to correct the twist. It was inventive and successful but wild indeed.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:05 am

Slack Tide wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:Looks great, Slack! Amazing what he was able to do with that boat considering it was completely crushed. :beer:

He used jacks inside the boat to "inflate it" and then a jig system with 2x4s screwed to the beams above to push down on one side while he jacked the other side to correct the twist. It was inventive and successful but wild indeed.

Wear a life jacket.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:08 am

HNTFSH wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:

Wear a life jacket.

He is a genius with glass work. I've been all over the boat. It's tight. The finish is like a car. Plus I generally hunt it in under 6' of water.... :lol3:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:59 am

Holy moly. :eek: :eek: :eek:

That was quite a project. Congrats on getting to the finish line. :thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
Swamp Azz

Postby Baymen Moe » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:53 pm

Very nice
My doctor said drinking heavily can lead to a slow death. I said good, I'm not in any hurry.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:53 pm

Very cool. Do you row it or pull it out with a tender boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:28 am

Mike the Fox wrote:Very cool. Do you row it or pull it out with a tender boat?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either, I've done both.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:34 am

Sweet!! Glad he was able to get her back in shape for you!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:51 pm

Dep6 wrote:Sweet!! Glad he was able to get her back in shape for you!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Right down to the ammo holders, shelf, flag, bucket, rowing stool, padded backrest, decoy "pickup stick", skirt and full canvas. We went from nasty Nor 'Easter to full frozen and then now it's thawing. I'm dying to get out in it.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby tgs » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:05 am

Steve is a great guy! Congrats on getting your boat back in order. :beer:
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:17 pm

tgs wrote:Steve is a great guy! Congrats on getting your boat back in order. :beer:

He sure is, thanks.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby sthwht24 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:39 am

That is wild stuff, thanks for sharing. Gotta feel good to have her back in working order.
sthwht24
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:24 am

sthwht24 wrote:That is wild stuff, thanks for sharing. Gotta feel good to have her back in working order.

It really does. I'm going to move some things around this weekend to get it int he water and hope for a shoot on Sunday.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole