Gun Club or MDC area for shooting practice

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Gun Club or MDC area for shooting practice

Postby jjb27 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Finally got myself a gun and need to break it in a practice some. Am I better off going to an MDC area and patterning or doing skeet/trap? Or am I best served joining a club? Gateway Gun Club seems reasonable but have nothing else to compare it to. Thanks.
jjb27
hunter

Re: Gun Club or MDC area for shooting practice

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:44 am

personally never liked going to MDC gun ranges.. Never know what your going to get! People wise
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Id stay away from the MDC ranges, those are more geared towards rifles and pistols, and can get a little interesting at times. Best practice you can get for waterfowl is sporting clays. There are some good ones around, and most have trap and skeet if you are so inclined.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby SMcGarrity » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:07 am

I'll offer a different opinion.

Jay Henges off hwy44 is a decent place run by MDC. There is a station to pattern your shotgun and they run 3 trap stations. Costs you $3 a round. They have people who monitor the stations and there are usually some good shooters there. During the summer they run a 5 stand on Wednesdays which I've been told is pretty fun.

Blackhawk is a place I shoot sporting clays. It's up past Old Monroe off hwy79. Blackhawk is not MDC. I'd call before going up there though.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:09 am

SMcGarrity wrote:I'll offer a different opinion.

Jay Henges off hwy44 is a decent place run by MDC. There is a station to pattern your shotgun and they run 3 trap stations. Costs you $3 a round. They have people who monitor the stations and there are usually some good shooters there. During the summer they run a 5 stand on Wednesdays which I've been told is pretty fun.

Blackhawk is a place I shoot sporting clays. It's up past Old Monroe off hwy79. Blackhawk is not MDC. I'd call before going up there though.

I was unaware about the place off 44, thats a good deal. Most of the MDC ranges I have been to are all pistol and rifle ranges that have no trap stations, and they get pretty hoosier-ish. Blackhawk is where I shoot sporting clays as well, thats a great place.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby SMcGarrity » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:32 am

BlackHawk is great for clays. I'm not really sure if there are other MDC ranges for shotgunning...

SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby Ski2b99 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:06 pm

SPatrick wrote:
SMcGarrity wrote:I'll offer a different opinion.

I was unaware about the place off 44, thats a good deal. Most of the MDC ranges I have been to are all pistol and rifle ranges that have no trap stations, and they get pretty hoosier-ish. Blackhawk is where I shoot sporting clays as well, thats a great place.

J Henges is the perfect place to pattern your gun. On weekday daytimes you'll likely have as long as you want and they have paper rolls at the pattern station. You can also shoot trap on your own with their time delay releases.

When the Busch Wildlife range opens, hopefully later this year, you'll have another place to go.

Black Hawk is a blast - a hidden jewel for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ski2b99
Newb

Postby kbbgood » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:39 pm

Wonder if there is any good places out around the Rolla area? Love to practice for duck hunting.
kbbgood
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:12 pm

You realize this post is 3 years old?
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
Dep6
Site Admin

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting