Western Montana

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Western Montana

Postby Luke WL. » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Hey All. I dont expect to get any concrete answers but some insight would be great. I am a photographer that lives in Islamorada (florida keys) and travel a bunch for work. I have spent a bunch of time in western montana and was lucky enough to recently be able to purchase a bit of land just west of Trout Creek. Mostly plan on big game but I have recently started waterfowl hunting. I am wondering how the hunting out that way is? Can you hunt Noxon Res? I am planning on being out there late August thru end of October but can extend that a bit if it would be worth it. I do have a creek and a bit of marsh on my property, hoping I will get lucky and have ducks on it!
Luke WL.
hunter

Re: Western Montana

Postby Luke WL. » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:35 am

Let me try something else. Is there a chapter of DU nearby? Does anyone like free beer and lobster? I'm driving up from the keys late August and would love to grill up a few Florida lobster and drink a few beers if I can ask some general questions. I feel like it will be very different from Florida.
Luke WL.
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:25 pm

I'm sure there will be birds around your place for at least part of the hunting season. Only problem is there is about 20 different trout creeks in Montana, are you referring to the one that is a tributary to the Bitteroot?
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby Luke WL. » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:33 pm

Trout creek is the name of the town. It is just west of Thompson falls (north/central west Montana). Looking for people to hunt with as well! I just got a puppy I am training, I doubt she will be full hunt ready this season but I will be working her a bit.
Luke WL.
hunter

Postby benelliboym2 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:00 am

Their are ducks around Tompson Falls
benelliboym2
hunter

Postby Luke WL. » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:24 pm

I'll be out there in a few weeks and plan on putting up some wood duck boxes... is end of may too late to do that?
Luke WL.
hunter

Postby tealdog » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:57 am

I think that you'll be on the late side for putting up boxes. But it doesn't hurt to try. And they will be plenty early for next spring!
tealdog
hunter

Postby Luke WL. » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:49 am

Loading the boat and truck up this week. Cleaning and re rigging decoys. Getting everything in line and hitting the road at the end of the month. Anyone seeing any birds moving around yet? I know there is no early teal out there but getting excited anyway! I guess I'll have to fill my time with getting me elk and deer during archery until waterfowl opens!
Luke WL.
hunter

Postby 406LIFE » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:04 pm

I've seen a lot of Canadas moving in. Not much in the way of ducks yet. Some coots, but mostly small groups of 5 or so. I expect to see more in the next 2 weeks.
"He was a might hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9

"There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR
406LIFE
hunter

Postby bttrym8 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:48 pm

Luke WL. wrote:Loading the boat and truck up this week. Cleaning and re rigging decoys. Getting everything in line and hitting the road at the end of the month. Anyone seeing any birds moving around yet? I know there is no early teal out there but getting excited anyway! I guess I'll have to fill my time with getting me elk and deer during archery until waterfowl opens!
Hey Luke, I'm brand new to Missoula myself. Came in from Oklahoma on Friday and will be scouring the area for ducks/geese. Any chance you'd want to meet up and we can try to figure out the area? Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bttrym8
hunter

Postby bttrym8 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:49 pm

I also have a 5 year old Seasoned level black lab so I can supply the pup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bttrym8
hunter

Postby Luke WL. » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:04 pm

Yea, shoot me a dm. I have two buddies coming up for opener but i'll be scouting alone and hunting most of october by myself so always down to meet other hunters. I am picking my pup up sept 29th, she will be 10 months but has been at the trainer all summer. Im sure she will need lots of work still but cant wait to watch her work!
Luke WL.
hunter

Postby jstrong921 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:13 am

Luke, I hunt around your area. Let me know if you'd like some direction. I don't always have someone to hunt with so maybe we can arrange a hunt. I have a 16' jet boat and more gear than I can haul.
jstrong921
Newb

Return to Montana Duck Hunting