Would appreciate some insight from fellow Montana hunters...

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Would appreciate some insight from fellow Montana hunters...

Postby MT_Fin » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:02 pm

hello all,

I have a question that I hope someone is willing to help with.

Let me preface this with couple things:
-Not asking for honey-holes or to steal spots
-Not begging for someone to take us

With that said, does anyone have any insight on an area conducive to self retrieving that might also have a few ducks that cruise through? Im in Missoula but willing to travel a little ways, not to be redundant if anyone read my bio post but I grew up in the Missoula area and always duck hunted but its been a few years, getting back in to it but don't have a new dog or anything yet. The areas I used to hunt are now private and most of the public areas around seem to be deep or fast moving water, unless I'm not looking at it right.

I try to take my 6yr old hunting every time the circumstances permit it (terrain, weather, etc) so he's been big game hunting, grouse hunting, etc with me frequently since he was a baby but he has not been duck hunting with me since he was 3ish and that was for 1 or 2 days in the Great Falls area with little success (maybe 1 duck, i don't remember, no geese as Ive never shot a goose)

So i would like to try to find an area to hunt a duck or two with my son but that would allow me to self retrieve with waders or similar. Does not need to be a GRADE A area (or B or C..........Just the possibility of birds), and definitely shouldn't be someones secret honey hole as I'm not in to stealing spots, just try to taking advantage of experience if willingly given.

Would be stoked to kill even 1 duck/goose this year with my son there. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fin

***** As a side note, if anyone ever wanted to get together to hunt/fish or whatever I would love to meet some new hunting buddies (1 caveat is that have to open to my son coming at least some of the time depending on circumstances)
MT_Fin
hunter

Re: Would appreciate some insight from fellow Montana hunter

Postby wingnutty » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:19 pm

Plenty of areas around ninepipes that can be hunted w/out a dog. Just pick ponds that aren't too deep, there are literally dozens and dozens to choose from all on public land. 4,000 ares of public land hunting. Need a tribal bird license.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby 406LIFE » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:48 pm

While I wouldn't want to just because it would be a pain, most of the rivers around here could be waded and hunted effectively. I would look for sloughs and eddies just off the main river.
"He was a might hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9

"There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR
406LIFE
hunter

Postby Kwalter9 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:48 am

I just moved to Helena and have hunted the Canyon Ferry ponds in Townsend. Seems to be good place for what you're looking for self retrieve and good number of ducks. Easy walk in for a little guy too. Let me know if you'd want to meet up for a hunt sometime this season I'm trying to meet more duck hunters here.
Kwalter9
Newb

Return to Montana Duck Hunting