Helena Question

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Helena Question

Postby IDECOYM » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:40 am

Hey all,

I just applied for a job in Helena with Montana DNR. It is based out of Helena. Doing some research the cost of living is pretty high. Are there areas close by that there is a reduction in CoL? Reports indicate that the Helena area has a high crime rate, is this accurate? How is the Helena area for Waterfowl? Any help would be appreciated.

FYI I'm am coming from Northwest Wisconsin. Currently our House is is 3Brdm 2 Bath, full basement, two 500Sq.ft Garages/Shops, on about an acre and fore the most part "updated". Assessed Value is mid 130,000's true market value is upper 140,000's to low 150,000's
" I told you not to go past the Divers. You'll float your hat!! The waters cold isn't it. Dont worry we will be back at the truck once I get my limit!!"
IDECOYM
hunter

Re: Helena Question

Postby MT Drake guy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:24 pm

There is plenty of hunting around Helena, The Missouri river is right there, several lakes, and lots of agriculture for field hunts. Probably won't get the same housing situation for what your selling yours for though.
Good luck!
Blessed with the dogs in my life
MT Drake guy
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:43 pm

MT Drake guy wrote:There is plenty of hunting around Helena, The Missouri river is right there, several lakes, and lots of agriculture for field hunts. Probably won't get the same housing situation for what your selling yours for though.
Good luck!

Hunting is good. Especially if you don't mind driving an hour- two when it starts to get really cold. The crime is not horrible. I grew up there and my family is still there. It's just like any other town in Montana. Cost of living is just higher in the west in general I think.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby lundin-loading » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:36 pm

IDECOYM wrote:Hey all,
FYI I'm am coming from Northwest Wisconsin. Currently our House is is 3Brdm 2 Bath, full basement, two 500Sq.ft Garages/Shops, on about an acre and fore the most part "updated". Assessed Value is mid 130,000's true market value is upper 140,000's to low 150,000's

The house your describing in Helena's market would likely go anywhere from 210,000 to 270,000. And rent would likely be 1400 to 1800 a month. The housing here is ridiculous....but not as bad as Bozeman.
lundin-loading
hunter

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:38 pm

As others here have already indicated, the water-fowling in and around Helena isn't too bad, and you can easily get to some truly great spots if you're willing to drive a bit, but as you've duly noted, the cost-of-living in Helena (or anywhere in the state of Montana as a whole), is inexplicably and frustratingly high. Montana reportedly has the second lowest median household (or per capita) income in the entire nation (second only to Mississippi !!!), but our housing, utility and grocery prices are through the flippin' roof. We currently live near Missoula, and we pay the same monthly rent on a modest 3-Bdr home here that we paid for monthly rent on a comparable home in Honolulu (Hawaii) two years ago! Fact! Its simply inexplicable, but then again, for some of us, money isn't everything. And so, depending on your decision, good luck! :thumbsup:
Sky Pilot
Newb

Return to Montana Duck Hunting