New To Missoula

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

New To Missoula

Postby mippado » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:19 pm

Grew up in Washington hunting the Columbia river, I moved to Missoula July 29th to start my new life as a UM student and football player. Out of state tags are expensive, so I will probably only be hunting ducks (and of course fishing) this year. I am excited to learn how to jump shoot, and hopefully find some birds this year! If anyone around Missoula needs a hunting buddy, let me know!
mippado
Newb

Re: New To Missoula

Postby MT Drake guy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:20 pm

Good luck this year, and welcome to Montana!
Blessed with the dogs in my life
MT Drake guy
hunter

Postby AlecSmith24 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:34 am

I'm going to be new to Missoula coming into the fall of 2018. I'm transferring to UM from a school on the east coast. I'm pretty excited to get into some waterfowl hunting.Id be interested in getting together for some hunts if you're still there
AlecSmith24
Newb

Postby mippado » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:10 am

I'll still be here! Got 5 years of school here and am in love with it. Getting pretty dialed in for ducks and fishing around town. Sure is fun
mippado
Newb

Postby AlecSmith24 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:40 pm

That's awesome! I'm pretty pumped to get out there. I've been doing research already on different areas to hunt but I can wait to just check it out for myself. We will definitely have to meet up and plan a hunt next season!
AlecSmith24
Newb

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:47 pm

Best wishes on your move to the Missoula area. Having hunted up and down the Columbia River myself over the years, I think I can safely say that you'll generally find lower numbers of waterfowl here in 'western' Montana. The eastern side of the divide is another story, but then you're looking at some driving distance, and you can probably get back over to the Columbia River just as quickly. I've spent most of my adult life (50+ years) hunting waterfowl all over the western U.S. and Canada, including Manitoba, Saskatchewan, the Dakotas, Alaska, Montana, Washington and California, and bar none, some of the all-time best shooting I've ever experienced was in eastern Oregon, on the Patterson Unit at the Umatilla National Wildlife Refuge (Columbia River). That was back in the late 80s, and I've yet to hunt some of the nations other primo spots for water-fowling (like Arkansas, Louisiana, etc.), but there were more ducks per square foot on the Columbia River back then than anything I'd ever seen! Anywho, happy trails and good luck to you!
Sky Pilot
Newb

Return to Montana Duck Hunting