Non-Resident hunting

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Non-Resident hunting

Postby DuckHuner88 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi all,

Just trekked from Washington to hunt Ninepipes and the Flathead Reservation, but Walmart left is in disarray after selling us a conservation permit and an out of state license. However, the regs mention a Flathead Reservation bird stall which we are almost certain we weren’t given. Thanks in advance, just curious on wha we ACTUALLY need.

Jay
"If you cant beat 'em, hurt 'em."
DuckHuner88
hunter

Re: Non-Resident hunting

Postby Snowfly » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 am

I'm a nonresident hunting Nine Pipes area too. I had the misfortune of thinking I'd buy a license at the Polson WalMart. In addition to trying to set me up with a license package that wouldn't adequately support a legal waterfowl hunt on the reservation the counter person was a rude a**hole. I called the tribal office and they steered me to westland feed in Ronan. Top notch, helpful folks there.
Snowfly
hunter

Postby labsforme » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:45 pm

People at Westland good help. My 2nd year up here. How did ya'll do? Lots of birds on Ninepipes Nat'l refuge, not much flying off. I wound up with 4 BW Teal on private property in an afternoon shoot Saturday.

Jeff
labsforme
hunter

Postby Snowfly » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:37 pm

three Saturday afternoon here. 2 hen mallards, 1 blue wing teal. My dog and I are here for another month. If you ever want company give me a shout. I've got spots and a mud boat with a blind.
Snowfly
hunter

Postby DuckHuner88 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:08 pm

We got it figured out that night, the salesman at the Polson Walmart couldn’t wrap his head around the fact that we were in Montana and didn’t need an out-of-state license which is what he sold to us the first time. All you need is the conservation permit and the Flathead permit, even if the salesman tells you “it’s only for pheasants.”

Hunted yesterday and shot 4 bluewings (new to us), a green wing, a mallard, a wigeon, and 3 honkers. Hunted the same spot today thinking we had dialed them in, but only managed two honkers and a Suzy. Hitting the road to try and find another spot!
"If you cant beat 'em, hurt 'em."
DuckHuner88
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting