Bozeman, MT - Introduction/Huntin Buddies

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Bozeman, MT - Introduction/Huntin Buddies

Postby NorthernFowler » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:01 am

Good evening all, this is my first post on the Montana duckhuntingchat.com forum. I’d like to say hello and introduce myself, feel free to respond and introduce yourself below if you would like to, thank you. I’m reaching out to you as I have just finished my last deployment overseas in the US Navy and returned home and have moved into the Bozeman area of Bridger Canyon. My wife is an RN working in the area, and I’m an Aviation Electrician, 35, and will be using my military benefits to attend some Ag Animal and Range Science programs at MSU. I grew up in Wisconsin, my wife is a southern girl I met when I joined the Navy out of Florida. While stationed in Virginia I met a lot of South Carolina boys whom loved to hunt Waterfowl and I have been addicted ever since. I love it. I don’t just love shooting birds, I like to scout, film, and photograph as well, from the birds to just fun in the blind with friends. I’ve got a lot of research ahead of me for this new area/state but in the time of the season that’s left, I’d love to get on some Montana birds and meet some new people. If you have any advice for a new hunter to Bozeman, MT, I would greatly appreciate it. I enjoy putting in the work, with a group, scouting, setting up and tearing down, it’s all part of what I love about duck hunting. Thank you for your time. Respectfully, NorthernFowler
NorthernFowler
Newb

Re: Bozeman, MT - Introduction/Huntin Buddies

Postby Red Huck » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:35 pm

I wish you much success in your efforts as one of those SC boys that enjoy fowling.
Red Huck
hunter

Postby MissJordan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:09 pm

Greetings from Missoula! And welcome to the great state of Montana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MissJordan
Newb

Postby NorthernFowler » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:52 pm

Thanks bud, good luck to you as well. I had a pretty fun weekend looking for birds. Friday I jumped a single hen Golden Eye, my first Montana duck. Beautiful scenery in this state, and a pretty Bird. Sunday I hunted on the Missouri River, I saw a couple thousand birds pick up flying high early morning, then jumped a group of maybe 200 divers (likely mostly golden eyes) where I picked on a map to set up. I set up in front of that spot, killed three more Golden Eye hens, still waiting on a drake. Bought some Golden Eye drake decoys, we’ll see how it go’s next go around with some decoys.
NorthernFowler
Newb

Postby NorthernFowler » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Thank you MissJordan, nice to make your acquaintance. I’m really enjoying it here.
NorthernFowler
Newb

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:11 pm

Welcome to MT, NorthernHunter. I am in the neighboring Idaho Panhandle. I think you will enjoy Montana. I traveled it extensively for work for 18 years and after retiring, now go there for pleasure or to visit my daughter in Billings. MT is a spectacular state so I am hoping you wake up every day thankful at the course of events that led you to settling there.

I spent the first 24 years of my life East of the Mississippi River and you will never find me living east of the Rockies again (although Montana East of the Rockies still qualifies).

Have fun as you get your bearings and learn the area.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Bozo_Drake » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:38 am

We have a couple things in common; I came to Bozeman after I got out of the Corps and went to MSU. Same age. I’d be happy to buy you a beer or cup of coffee and shoot the crap. I’m always looking for guys to hunt/fish with. I work in NODAK so I’m gone 2/3 of the time and have little kids so it’s been tough to socialize much. Honestly why I looked up the forum, been getting into waterfowl hunting and was hoping to meet some people in the area to hunt with. Shoot me a message if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bozo_Drake
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting