New Hunter Looking for help

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Postby Boone96 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Hey I'm a new to duck hunting, but really want to get into it. Unfortunately I don't really know where in to go in north or South Carolina. I live in Charlotte and don't mind driving a little bit to get to a good place to hunt. If anyone knows where I could go to hunt that I preferably don't have to pay for or pay minimally for that would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has tips on how to find a good place to hunt ducks if you don't know of a place that I can go that would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
Boone96
Newb

Re: New Hunter Looking for help

Postby HydeMarsh » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:39 pm

scout hard, knock on doors, or come up with a load of cash and drive a long way from Charlotte. Not trying to be disrespectful but with the parameters you laid out you have a very tough road in front of you. good spots are very, very, very hard to come by and no one (with good sense) will share them with you. you may want to take up another sport or move. Charlotte is a long way from good duck hunting centers. Can you get a gig in Louisiana?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby ursos » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:58 pm

Where in Charlotte are you? I am new as well and have some things lined up.
ursos
Newb

Postby Bluesky2012 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:57 am

Dude duck hunting is expensive, and that's without even getting a lease. Go pay for a guided hunt and see if you even like it before you spend the crazy cash necessary to start hunting from Charlotte.
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby FITZH2O » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:25 pm

You're a damned fool if you don't make the hajj to High Rock. Waterfowling Mecca. I'm sure Tsmart will be along with the pictures at any moment.
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Postby NCSUMeck » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:03 pm

Any lake in the area, as long as you're not in the city limits and are 150 yds from a residence is fair game. That includes the catawba. Just make sure you're standing in the water.

Please don't shoot unless they are getting ready to land, otherwise they will stay up high and not decoy in for other guys when you miss them.
NCSUMeck
hunter

Postby jph4387 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Unfortunately the hunting is not great around Charlotte. I also live there but the best bet is to make a trip or two to the coast each year. That's what my buddies and I do.
"Whack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em."

-Ted Nugent
jph4387
hunter

Postby waterfowlwidamaker252 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Metalman hits the nail on the head. Find some buddies or belly up the money and get a guide. Duck hunting aint cheap and it is not something you wanna "skimp" on. Spend the money right the first time or be prepared to pay for improvements along the way. Done right, duck hunting is one of the most enjoyable legal things to do.
waterfowlwidamaker252
hunter

Postby feathersflyin » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:35 pm

Im from Hickory and always looking for hunting partners. Ive a few spots on rhodhiss, few spots on lake hickory on the caldwell co side, few spots on lookout when its not overcrowded and a couple spots on the upper end of lake norman. If your new to lake norman id suggest stay close to the bank on the big water southern end. A lot hunt the islands. Its tricky but there are birds there. Ive lived and hunted these areas all my life. I hunt the draw hunts as well and there are a few that are great. Suggs mill is nice. DU dumped some coin on the place. Morgan futch the same. Hunted both this year and had good hunts. Hunted goose creek and bright sunshiny day....AWFUL. Hunt down toward Loris S.C. to georgetown as well usually 5-6 times a season. Love field hunting geese from layout blinds but if your on the water youll see my raft just look for the name feathers flyin on her stern. Also agree with High rock only it gets a ton of pressure. Heard guys were taking pintails on Norman earlier but I cal b.s. havent seen one in 20 years, usually woodies and mallards with an occassional good move of teal. If I can help out im more then happy to PM me if you want specifics. By all means join the DU chapter in charlotte.
feathersflyin
hunter

Postby hrlduckman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:21 am

Come on up to high rock and join everyone out there...real good bunch of people...sat was a zoo as usual starting at midnight the boats kept waking me up in the house...goodluck out there high rock is brutal to some but very rewarding for others...just do what most do and see where everyone sets up and pick a spot 50 yds away...but with all joking aside the low water now makes getting a bird to work near impossible with less room and more boats hunting that previous years
hrlduckman
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:11 pm

waterfowlwidamaker252 wrote:Metalman hits the nail on the head. Find some buddies or belly up the money and get a guide. Duck hunting aint cheap and it is not something you wanna "skimp" on. Spend the money right the first time or be prepared to pay for improvements along the way. Done right, duck hunting is one of the most enjoyable legal things to do.

No it isn't cheap. Must cost a ton to dump tons of corn in your water. Are those the "improvements" you are referring to?
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby brackett33 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:15 pm

id just find a guide in Currituck to hyde and go with that. tons of them out here. maybe get up with a few local guys and hunt with them. I take a few guys each year for fun or little bit of cash but I couldn't charge some one a ton and them not kill limits.
1801 parker
19ft Center Console
16ft Alumacraft Waterfowler
Pro Staff
EastCoast WaterFowl
Fowlplay Fanatics
brackett33
hunter

Postby gnorris74 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:58 pm

Hate to be the guy that resurrects a dead thread, but I am new to the Charlotte area and am looking for some guys to hunt with this season for a fee of course, just want to get my feet wet being new to the area.
gnorris74
hunter

Postby tsmart » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:11 pm

High Rock

Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby tsmart » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:12 pm

FITZH2O wrote:I'm sure Tsmart will be along with the pictures at any moment.

Sorry, a little late.. :lol:
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby eisenhauer01 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:34 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
eisenhauer01
hunter

Postby mikesever » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:01 am

I am new in NC also and living in Charlotte , NC
Will very appreciate for some where to hunt ducks recomendations
I was hunting once in UWHARRIE national forest at the Badin lake shore . But didn't hit any duck
Will ready to join a team with author of topic BOONE96 or anybody who looking for a partner for duck hunting
I was hunting ducks long time ago in Kazakhstan , where I was born
I have a rubber oar boat, f-350 truck dual
mikesever
Newb

Postby mikesever » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:06 am

FITZH2O wrote:You're a damned fool if you don't make the hajj to High Rock. Waterfowling Mecca. I'm sure Tsmart will be along with the pictures at any moment.

Where is High Rock located at and how far it from Charlotte?
mikesever
Newb

Postby Deerhunter1995 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:03 pm

I’m looking for a duck hunting partner in Charlotte Nc area. I am new to duck hunting but have a basic understanding please let me know if anyone wouldn’t mind helping a young ethical hunter learn
Deerhunter1995
Newb

Postby jdbdkhr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:52 pm

I hunt Norman and Lookout maybe 10 to 12 days every year. Some good hunts, some ok, some miserable. When the birds are there it can be good. Been to High Rock a few times. I've been at it now for about 10 years, mostly go by myself. Went on some guided hunts down East for my introduction to duck hunting and I must say it lit a fire. That was the best money I've spent hunting so far. Got a lot of good advice from knowledgeable people and took it from there. Still learning every time I go. I seem to have better luck at Norman hunting from shore on the islands. With all the houses on the lake now that's about all that's left.
jdbdkhr
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting