Duck Hunting Forum banner

New to duck hunting

340 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  merg 
#1 ·
Greetings All,

I am an experienced hunter, but I am just a fledgling duck hunter. I am not asking for coordinates for awesome spots. I only seek the opportunity to learn from a more experienced duck hunter. I am properly licensed, and I strive to follow all sustainable limits. I know what a sky buster is, and I aim not to be one. I know there is no reason for me to use a call in the field until I am more proficient in my ability to use it correctly. I know how to figure out things on my own, as I have done with other game animals. However, with ducks it takes an ability to identify birds in flight, an ability to gauge range, and a number of other things that can be learned with less error from an experienced waterfowler. I have all the gear I need to be successful aside from decoys. I wanted to get my feet wet and score some ducks before I shell out that kind of money. I have gone on a few hunts by myself, and I saw ducks on all of them, but all the ducks were far out of range or I had no idea what they were. That's when I decided I should try to learn from someone before I shot up something I shouldn't. I live in Wilmington, and I would love the opportunity to learn the basics from someone in the field. If there is anyone in the area that wouldn't mind showing me the ropes, it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Best Regards,

Bioduck

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I understand your concerns, as I share many of them. I am very selective about who I hunt with because I don't like getting lumped in with people that pull stunts like your dove hunting friends. I have had some luck. I was able to bag a wood duck drake last week, but that's all I have to show for my efforts so far. I have done a lot of paddling and watching and listening. I am seeing more ducks on each hunt, but now I have to learn to get them close enough to shoot.

#4 ·
Bioduck said:
Thanks for your reply. I understand your concerns, as I share many of them. I am very selective about who I hunt with because I don't like getting lumped in with people that pull stunts like your dove hunting friends. I have had some luck. I was able to bag a wood duck drake last week, but that's all I have to show for my efforts so far. I have done a lot of paddling and watching and listening. I am seeing more ducks on each hunt, but now I have to learn to get them close enough to shoot.
The best way to get close to ducks is to be where they wanna be.
if you are set up in the exact spot ducks want to be you don't need many decoys or even to be hid overly well.
In a very general sense, you can divide duck destinations into 3 areas: Roost, feeding area, loafing area. Ducks roost at night in one area, move to feed near 1st light, and then sit the day away in a safe loafing area. Near dark they go back to feed and then to roost. Weather conditions will affect that-when its really cold ducks need to feed more than twice a day and may loaf and roost in their feeding area, but, again, in general ducks will stay with the pattern until overly pressured.
So you want to focus your scouting on not just seeing passing ducks but on finding out where they are coming from and going to.
Being willing to paddle, watch and listen is probably the most important trait a successful fowler can have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.