NEED MORE OF THIS

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

NEED MORE OF THIS

Postby Paul26 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:18 pm

If we get enough of this across the top of the country we'll have the birds here on 17 Dec. The timing of this, on our off weekend, could not be better.
Attachments
weather.jpg
Paul26
hunter

Re: NEED MORE OF THIS

Postby merg » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:58 pm

Lot o swan flyin over the house tonight
merg
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:18 pm

Running from all that blue stuff on the map! I did not get a permit this year so I will only be looking at them.

Also: looking at the 10 day forecast for some cities on the shores of the Great Lakes it looks like those guys are going to have nasty cold Wx with snow and wind starting on the 12th or 13th. Plenty of time for things to change, but right now cautious optimism is in order for NC duck hunting on the coast for the start of the major season.
Paul26
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:52 am

Going to Kansas next week, should have pushed a lot of birds there, should make the second split much better than the first.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:03 pm

Y'all put way to much science into this. The weather helps, but just go hunt. There are always a few birds around. When they're here they're here and when they're not they're not. In the middle week of the November split I hunted a couple days(only times I've went all season thus far) and we had very few birds, but I limited twice by 7:15am. It's nice when there's thousands upon thousands here, but this is NC and that isn't the case often times until the last week or 2 in January regardless of weather(with the exception of the hurricane year). Go and enjoy it before deer season goes out and all the moronic backwoods bumpkin weekend warrior deer hunters start blasting at and running up everything that swims or flies.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:24 am

You're missing the point: I hunt one day a week. I spend the other 6 on duck chat trying to outsmart an animal with a brain the size of a oversized Lima bean.

It's the journey, man!
Paul26
hunter

Postby black_duck » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:11 pm

Paul26 wrote:You're missing the point: I hunt one day a week. I spend the other 6 on duck chat trying to outsmart an animal with a brain the size of a oversized Lima bean.

It's the journey, man!

This
Psalms 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

The duck hunters bible verse
black_duck
hunter

Postby carsonr2 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:58 pm

Swans were pouring over my house last evening in the dark, they were low enough to see in the light from our City lights.

I checked our local lake to see if we got more ducks and didn't see an increase. I just took a quick look so that doesn't really mean much.

Our small (swamp/pothole) water will lock up solid tonight. The larger lakes should have ice around the edges within the next few days. I'm guessing by our forecast (NW MI) that our large lakes will be froze over by about this time next week. Next week our highs for Thursday-Friday are about 14 degrees F.

Our 2-day late season on the 17th and 18th is looking prime with this shot of cold. I'm hoping to pile up the mallard and golden eyes over those 2 days.

Hope this weather pushes some birds your way.
Vegetarian = Old Indian Saying "Not Good Hunter"
carsonr2
hunter

Postby Galactic Ricky » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:26 pm

Junior Commanders will be out in full force on their xmas/new years break.
Galactic Ricky
hunter

Postby merg » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:09 pm

Swan and snow geese steady flying over from the north past two days and nights. No increase in duck numbers yet.
merg
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:41 pm

Swans are in Hyde in Force. I did not see but a few hundred on Northlake Road Saturday and none over near Lake Landing. Had to
return for some work on my impoundment and they were everywhere. Hope there are a bunch of ducks with them.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby jcz » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:52 pm

Just my luck, weather is looking good for us and my boss drops a bombshell today. We will be working the next 2 Saturdays trying to stay ahead of the Christmas rush. :crying:
jcz
hunter

Postby black_duck » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:40 am

What are the odds that the ducks over shoot us? We are finally getting the cold that we've been wanting but with all these big fronts and full moon I'm worried that they'll just keep flying south.

I'm just over thinking I'm sure and causing unnecessary stress to my life.
Psalms 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

The duck hunters bible verse
black_duck
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:37 pm

black_duck wrote:What are the odds that the ducks over shoot us? We are finally getting the cold that we've been wanting but with all these big fronts and full moon I'm worried that they'll just keep flying south.

I'm just over thinking I'm sure and causing unnecessary stress to my life.

I'd be surprised if they overshot. Undershot, sure, overshot, doubtful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:33 pm

I do not think this Wx is cold enough or long enough for them to pass us. It's cold, but there was no wind and blue skies when I took those pics today on the other thread.

What you're describing happened here 5-6 years ago (I think it was 2010 but I am not certain). The entire eastern seaboard had a massive artic blast and it was nasty cold here for a week. As I recall we then had one of the slowest seasons ever while (allegedly) the boys south of us did well.

I don't see 2 nights in the high 20's with no wind or precip doing this.
Paul26
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:47 pm

Snowpocalypse 2010. Bad year. Maryland froze with3' of snow the week before xmas. Way different than this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Scouting trip this morning looked promising for next weekend. The mother load is not here yet, but they are finally starting to arrive and hopefully will build through the week.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone ยป Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting