Crazy weather

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Crazy weather

Postby grizz18 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:54 pm

What's everyone's prediction on how the ducks will act with this crazy weather rolling through tomorrow and Saturday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grizz18
Squatch Life

Re: Crazy weather

Postby EastBound&Down » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:13 am

Has got me nervous. I don't like the setup of back to back fronts so soon. I might blow some of the ducks out before we even get a chance to hunt them. I know there were good numbers around last weekend and hopefully only the numbers have built since then and they have stuck around. Tomorrow will be the same as every other hunt though. Either real good or real bad. One thing I have never seen is a guaranteed duck hunt.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:48 am

Yeah this one could be interesting. Woulda been nice to get out today. Tomorrow morning though might be odd. Scattered rain, and warming all night, not sure how birds will respond.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:10 am

One thing for sure is the weather up north is finally looking right for us down here.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby davidsonducks » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:38 pm

Thursday was the day here in the central piedmont. All the birds showed up and there was plenty of shooting to be had if season was in. Scouted this morning and literally found nothing, guess full moon moved them out again. Going tomorrow so just have to see what happens, but with whats happening up north, looking more forward to Monday and Tuesday.
davidsonducks
Newb

Postby Paul26 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:11 pm

The birds I have been photographing the last few weeks either (a) left the area, or (b) didn't want to come out and play today. I think some probably left (which is normal anyway), but I agree that the nasty wx north of us will bring others our way. We'll see tomorrow, won't we?
Paul26
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:43 pm

Paul26 wrote:The birds I have been photographing the last few weeks either (a) left the area, or (b) didn't want to come out and play today. I think some probably left (which is normal anyway), but I agree that the nasty wx north of us will bring others our way. We'll see tomorrow, won't we?

The small rafts I saw earlier this week are now gone as well. Not sure if it is coincidence or a sign that they left the area

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:41 pm

Moon, wind, strong front makes birds unpredictable this time of year. Some puddlers showed but divers remain a mystery. For now anyway.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:26 am

Decent numbers this morning. Was hoping for more to show up over the week, but it looked like it remained the same or even lost a few. Still made for a good hunt and a nice pile of dead ducks.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:34 pm

From what we saw there were less birds, but the fog laid in thick about shooting light

grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:13 pm

grizz18 wrote:From what we saw there were less birds, but the fog laid in thick about shooting light

Less is an understatement where I was

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:25 pm

Heard there was some fog around this morning from some buddies. Was forunante and didn't have to deal with it where I was at.
grizz18 wrote:From what we saw there were less birds, but the fog laid in thick about shooting light

EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:46 pm

EastBound&Down wrote:Heard there was some fog around this morning from some buddies. Was forunante and didn't have to deal with it where I was at.

I was a pain. It was actually a little after sunrise but it got thick and down to probably 150yrd visibility.

grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby sprighunter27889 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:11 pm

Am I the only one who looks forward to hunting in the fog?
sprighunter27889
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:49 pm

sprighunter27889 wrote:Am I the only one who looks forward to hunting in the fog?

I don't mind a little fog, but I've had days where it's so thick you don't see birds till they burn through the decoys.

Saturday's wasn't bad fog. Just made the mistake of headed to a hole I always love hunting, but went for the first time this year, and unfortunately there wasn't much of any water.
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:11 pm

sprighunter27889 wrote:Am I the only one who looks forward to hunting in the fog?
I would rather hunt in fog or rain than any other conditions.

We have good hunts if/when everything freezes but with the tide you can't keep your decoys in place in the ice.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:07 pm

I like the fog, but it got too thick. It was thick enough that you couldn't see birds 50-60 yrs up unless they were directly above. And birds flying on the water where on you quick outside the decoys

grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby merg » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:34 pm

ncbufflehead wrote:

We have good hunts if/when everything freezes but with the tide you can't keep your decoys in place in the ice.

Interestin. We do much better on sunny windy days. Never done much good in steady rain or fog-and starin into fog give me a helluva headache.
merg
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:25 pm

I have found a wee bit of fog OK. As long as there is some wind accompanying it so that the birds see through the occasional wisp of air that clears the decoys for a short period. These birds have great vision....but not x-Ray vision. They cannot see THROUGH the fog.

I have absolutely given up on hunting in a steady rain. Maybe I am missing the X, but in normally productive spots I have sat many a mornings and haven't seen a bird in the air. If it is raining steady at 0430 and is forecasted to stay that way, I don't go.

Cold: great. Cold and wind: even better. Cold, wind, and a Navy Gray sky: the absolute best conditions for me.
Paul26
hunter

Postby bay gunner » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:31 pm

Same here. I''ll hunt any weather if I think the birds are right, except a steady rain. Time better spent doing something else in those conditions, for me.
bay gunner
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:14 am

merg wrote:
ncbufflehead wrote:

Interestin. We do much better on sunny windy days. Never done much good in steady rain or fog-and starin into fog give me a helluva headache.
I think fog helps us because they don't seem to fly as high leaving the refuge and my blinds are close. Birds that would normally be a mile high and not interested in stopping anywhere short of their destination fly lower and closer and are looking for somewhere to land.

Some of my best hunts and quickest limits of big ducks have been when you couldn't see 75 to 100 yards.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby merg » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:02 pm

ncbufflehead wrote:
merg wrote:
ncbufflehead wrote:

I think fog helps us because they don't seem to fly as high leaving the refuge and my blinds are close. Birds that would normally be a mile high and not interested in stopping anywhere short of their destination fly lower and closer and are looking for somewhere to land.

Some of my best hunts and quickest limits of big ducks have been when you couldn't see 75 to 100 yards.

I was thinkin maybe you near the lighthouse pond and fog would help. Duck or two on the refuge now....
merg
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting