Decoy use, shallote nc???

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Decoy use, shallote nc???

Postby Killintime94 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:23 pm

Heading up to hunt and I was told no one uses decoys in the shallote area. Been hunting 12 years, never heard of not using any decoys. Thoughts please????
Killintime94
hunter

Re: Decoy use, shallote nc???

Postby EastBound&Down » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:59 pm

Doesn't sound like the Shallote area guys are very good duck hunters :huh:
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone ยป Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:15 pm

They don't use decoys around Shallotte because there are no ducks there.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Killintime94 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:24 pm

So the guide we had just had next to no clue what he was doing.
Killintime94
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:42 am

Please don't tell me there is a duck hunting guide service in Shallotte NC. :no: :no: :no: Please don't tell me you booked a hunt in there! :no: :no: :no: I know there used to be a preserve near there with tamie mallard shoots a few years ago but I think it folded.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:36 pm

Use what you would use in Wilmington or other areas... there's going to be the same types of mergansers down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Killintime94 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:19 pm

Yes there's a guy that says he guides ducks there. I'm from South Carolina and have never hunted out of state (besides spring snows in PA) not to mention NC at all so I was hoping for something a bit different and did not know what to expect. Didn't have the time to drive up to the outer Banks to hunt so we tried this guy. Should've known better I guess.
Killintime94
hunter

Postby Raging Woodie » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:30 am

Killintime94 wrote:Yes there's a guy that says he guides ducks there. I'm from South Carolina and have never hunted out of state (besides spring snows in PA) not to mention NC at all so I was hoping for something a bit different and did not know what to expect. Didn't have the time to drive up to the outer Banks to hunt so we tried this guy. Should've known better I guess.

Have you hunted with him yet? If not, don't be so fast to trash him, but if you are looking for something different than SC, Shallote NC is not going to offer anything different. If you are going diver hunting then yes i would be skeptical, but most of the birds down there are woodies with some mallards and gadwalls mixed in. A lot of guys down there don't use decoys because they know decoys for a woodie shoot are useless. A lot of guys that have impoundments down there also don't use decoys or calls and still kill their limits in mallards and other ducks. Some people believe if your on the "X" there's no need for decoys and calls.

I'm not taking the guides side but i know the area and how the people down there hunt, i'm just saying don't write it off if you have already scheduled the hunt, you might be surprised, then again you might be let down. Though i would be on the look out if he takes you into a swamp or beaver pond and it looks like he sunk a yellow school bus in there. That areas pretty bad for baiting.
"When blizzards and storm winds strike, other hunters curl up by the hearth. Waterfowlers go forth."
Raging Woodie
hunter

Postby Killintime94 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:28 am

Hey. Yea unfortunately we already hunted with him. It was just a real mess. We weren't on an impoundment. Just in the river. Boat with no lights, just got dropped off and he went to "hide" the boat, never came back, all birds we saw were flaring out, finally about an hour into it went to look for him and he had just anchored up in the middle of river channel about 50 yards from where we were in the grass. I'm very aware woodies don't decoy. Anyone got any recommendations for good guides obx or where ever?
Killintime94
hunter

Postby Raging Woodie » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:00 am

Killintime94 wrote:Hey. Yea unfortunately we already hunted with him. It was just a real mess. We weren't on an impoundment. Just in the river. Boat with no lights, just got dropped off and he went to "hide" the boat, never came back, all birds we saw were flaring out, finally about an hour into it went to look for him and he had just anchored up in the middle of river channel about 50 yards from where we were in the grass. I'm very aware woodies don't decoy. Anyone got any recommendations for good guides obx or where ever?

Ouch! Well i had positive hopes for you, not all the guys down there are slobs like that, but then again none of the guys who are killing birds down there are going to offer guided hunts.
"When blizzards and storm winds strike, other hunters curl up by the hearth. Waterfowlers go forth."
Raging Woodie
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:28 pm

There was a guide on the diver hunting forum on facebook that had opening for Dec 30 & 31 yesterday due to cancellations. He was located in Cedar Island.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Capt. Cane » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:54 am

Call Guien at Green Creek Outfitters for a great Pamlico hunt
Capt. Cane
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting