Kayak hunting near shallotte

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Kayak hunting near shallotte

Postby drumfisher » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:55 pm

I'll be in shallotte in late January for about four days and plan to bring my kayak to try and get on some ducks. I'm from western NC so I would honestly be fine shooting mergansers, but if I somehow managed to knock down a teal or bufflehead I would be ecstatic. I've heard to not even bother with sunset, ocean isle, and holden. So I was thinking possibly the shallotte river, waccamaw, or maybe the Lockwood folly river. Would these areas be safe/sorta safe to kayak hunt? Thanks, and any tips are welcome.
drumfisher
hunter

Re: Kayak hunting near shallotte

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:28 am

You could try Town Creek too. Just be careful you don't get run over by crazy duck hunters running the river before light. :hammer:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:49 pm

I would think Shallotte River should hold some birds. As above, watch yourself for safety.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby tarheelduckhead » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:08 am

You need to research where you can launch your kayak. Parking beside the road and launching is a risky adventure based on some of those locations you mentioned. The Waccamaw runs shallow in many places but runs through many swamps that hold puddlers. I used to hunt it in the late 90s while stationed at Fort Bragg...I had family that lived in the Whiteville AO.
tarheelduckhead
hunter

Postby Capt. Cane » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:49 am

You can launch from The oyster house in Shallotte Point, paddle across the river to the estuary in front and set up. Good flyway for Buffelheads and Megs.

Good luck have fun
Capt. Cane
hunter

Postby drumfisher » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:19 pm

Appreciate all the help guys. It'll be put to good use!
drumfisher
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting