Best Guide For Redheads?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Best Guide For Redheads?

Postby ibedamn » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:09 am

Got a friend looking for a guided redhead hunt. Any suggestions?
ibedamn
hunter

Re: Best Guide For Redheads?

Postby tchandler2 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Parkers Waterfowl on the outer banks
tchandler2
hunter

Postby echoduck » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:24 pm

Laguna Madre or South Texas.
echoduck
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:17 pm

The one with the biggest corn pile in Core Sound! :yes:
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby HFDLT » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Used Parkers once, from what I saw he was almost a travel bookie as he kept the deposits and hooked you up with other guides. The only interaction we had with him on our 3 trips booked through him was talking on the phone. This isn't knocking him as many guides don't want the hassle of phone calls and setting up web pages and all that. I will be honest and say that you must tell him you aren't there to shoot buffleheads and sea ducks we realized this after our first day hunt, in which the quickly told us as soon as we set out decoys that he was told we just wanted to shoot ducks "not true" after that the other trip went great when we told him we would rather shoot red heads, pintails, or even nothing at all then a bufflehead or sea duck I am not going to eat. Always tell your guides what you want!
HFDLT
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:41 pm

HFDLT wrote:Used Parkers once, from what I saw he was almost a travel bookie as he kept the deposits and hooked you up with other guides. The only interaction we had with him on our 3 trips booked through him was talking on the phone. This isn't knocking him as many guides don't want the hassle of phone calls and setting up web pages and all that. I will be honest and say that you must tell him you aren't there to shoot buffleheads and sea ducks we realized this after our first day hunt, in which the quickly told us as soon as we set out decoys that he was told we just wanted to shoot ducks "not true" after that the other trip went great when we told him we would rather shoot red heads, pintails, or even nothing at all then a bufflehead or sea duck I am not going to eat. Always tell your guides what you want!
You were better off hunting with some(not all) of the other guides he's books for, they are the ones with good blind locations.

The last few years, "duck guides" have came out of the woodwork. Every rubberhead with 5 or 6 dozen decoys and a boat is a guide now and the guys that book hunts for them don't seem to care if they send you on a bufflehead hunt when you are expecting redheads and puddleducks. A lot of these guys are hunting the same blinds 6 days a week and there's another blind 500 yards away doing the same thing. Then you've got the new "guides" hunting 500 yards outside of the blinds that have always been there, and the guy hunting 500 yards from him and so on. And then you've got the guy running up buffleheads so everyone gets at least one shot.

At High Rock the rubberheads want your ducks. On the Outer Banks the rubberheads want your money.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby ncdrumchaser » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:26 pm

Obx duck hunting has literally became a pimp game. Last few posts were dead on the money. Good thing to do is go to the tackle shops and marinas and ask who they recommend and contact directly.
becuase you leave at 2 am to hunt ducks... makes me glad we have blind laws!
ncdrumchaser
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting