Mattamuskeet Info

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Mattamuskeet Info

Postby Bluesky2012 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:55 am

For those who have hunted Mattamuskeet in the past, please PM me. I'm trying to get a decent idea of what all to bring (sled, pirogue, etc), what the walk/drag to the blinds are like, process on the morning of the hunt etc.
Bluesky2012
hunter

Re: Mattamuskeet Info

Postby Paul26 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Blue---will PM after the season to get the same scoop from you if I may. I am 0 for 6 in M-Skeet permit drawls.....next year the law of averages HAS to do something for me.
Paul26
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:42 pm

I'm 1 out of 15 . I don't think it really matters that much anymore from the info I'm getting Mattamuskeet pretty much sucks due to lack of food. I will be there this Friday and Saturday, (1/13/17 & 1/14/17) a buddy of mine got a draw this year so I'm going with him. Not expecting much with temps forecast to be in mid 60's. I have a garden wagon that I got from Agri Supply, its just a flat wagon that I put my sled and gear on. Its a lot easier to pull the wagon with wheels than drag the sled 950 yards to blind #9.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:23 pm

Paul, I'll keep you posted on what I learn after the hunt in 2 weeks. Hoping for a N wind to make it productive, but regardless, my two buddies and I are making a fun guys weekend out of it. Birds or no birds, fun will be had and memories will be made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Dingbatter wrote:I'm 1 out of 15 . I don't think it really matters that much anymore from the info I'm getting Mattamuskeet pretty much sucks due to lack of food. I will be there this Friday and Saturday, (1/13/17 & 1/14/17) a buddy of mine got a draw this year so I'm going with him. Not expecting much with temps forecast to be in mid 60's. I have a garden wagon that I got from Agri Supply, its just a flat wagon that I put my sled and gear on. Its a lot easier to pull the wagon with wheels than drag the sled 950 yards to blind #9.

Haha I have blind 9 for one day. Boy that should be fun. Might have to rig a wagon up as well. Figured a sled and pirogue would cover the bases well but doesn't seem to be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:28 pm

We hunted #9 two years ago and were glad we had a bicycle tired cart and a sled. The cart was great for carrying the sled with guns, decoys, etc from parking spot to water edge, sled was used to float everything to the blind. Later in the year most of the blind paths are very boggy and the cart simply would not roll in the mud and crap.

Good luck, ducks or not still a great experience!
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:36 pm

We have #9 on Friday and #4 on Saturday
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Blind 9 is quite the haul but I've done well the two times we hunted it. Can't say 70 temps Friday will help but Sat. should present a much better opportunity weather wise. One thing about the road leading to blinds 8 and 9. It can get very soggy/muddy/pot holes with prolonged rainy periods. We had a cart also and played the dickens getting down there. A sled in that case then becomes your best friend although most don't hold all the gear/decoys you'll want to haul. And one other thing- DO NOT wear your waders when making that long march. Throw them on the cart and put them on when you get to the water part, otherwise you'll be soaking wet in sweat. Also don't dilly dally after the ranger's initiation meeting. Get to your truck quickly, go to your designated parking area, get your mess out quickly and go. You will have very little time to set a good sized spread and be ready for LST. Good luck and enjoy.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Pinner1020 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:09 pm

I have drawn lake mattamuskeete blinds 2 and 16. weather is working against us but can anyone give me a kill report of either blind.
Pinner1020
Newb

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting