New member here

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

New member here

Postby cbwoodie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:01 pm

What's up guys, :hi:

I am still new to Duck hunting (2 years) and if you ask the wife she would say I am obsessed...which.. I am :yes: so knowing that I am new to this, I like to always research as much as I can.

I joined this forum, because for a while now I have been searching information on places to hunt around the Havelock area. Many people talk about the Catfish lake impoundment and that's where I have always gone for the years I have hunted Duck. I must say, being a Marine, and reading forums saying that the impoundment is a Marine Corps zoo full of skybusters... I must say it is spot on. But being Mature about this. I have seen locals skybust, park their happy selves with 100 yards of me, pepper me, shoot/scare ducks off as I work ducks into my spread and even promise a fellow hunter to retrieve a duck only to take it for themselves.

I know it seems like I am ranting- would just like feed back if anyone goes there and if 1. anyone is willing to come up with ideas to make the place better with me and 2. what every new hunter is wanting to know haha- is there anyone in the area who knows of land or willing to lease or help me out with getting away from killers instead of ethical hunters?
cbwoodie
Newb

Re: New member here

Postby Paul26 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:32 pm

I swore off Catfish Lake Impoundment after my first (and last) hunt there in 2002. Based off everything I have read on this forum, I think I made a good choice. It's the perfect recipe for a bad hunt: a wide open area, accessible by car, and miles from the front gate of a Base full of Jarheads, half of whom probably hunt.

I say let the LCpl's support the ammo industry and have fun. Seriously. I would hate to see that impoundment become a permit area. And that is the only thing that would fix it.

My suggestion: if you have a wee bit of flex with your schedule: hunt there on Tuesday.

Welcome.
Paul26
hunter

Postby cbwoodie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Right now I'm trying do all sorts of scouting when I have the chance. And I'm trying to knock on doors and call numbers I may have found about getting to flooded timber or joining a club that may have ponds and what not, but no joy.
cbwoodie
Newb

Postby cutngut » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:55 am

Great. Another one
cutngut
Newb

Postby cbwoodie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:00 pm

"Great. Another one."

If you're upset that I joined the forum and I am "another one" I feel you cant talk. You joined a month ago. :welcome:

unless you're here for helpful advice like the first gentlemen, just read the topic and move on.

Thanks. :thumbsup:
cbwoodie
Newb

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting