Guided Snow Goose Hunt

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Guided Snow Goose Hunt

Postby LongSnapper » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:43 am

I know I'm sort of late to the game on trying to book a guided snow goose hunt, but I am in the search for a guide to go with. Any recommended guides/guide services? Looking for a guide who can provide us the best chance to pile up the geese, but also someone who will ensure a good time while hunting as well. Also would prefer to hunt a feild as I know some guides hunt over water. Any help with selecting a guide would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LongSnapper
hunter

Re: Guided Snow Goose Hunt

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:19 am

If you could get something in the next couple of weeks I would search Arkansas. I would also look into one of the states out west and chase them on the spring migration. I would rather paint the house than pursue them in NC and I hate painting.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby LongSnapper » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:31 am

EastBound&Down wrote:If you could get something in the next couple of weeks I would search Arkansas. I would also look into one of the states out west and chase them on the spring migration. I would rather paint the house than pursue them in NC and I hate painting.

It's mostly a cost thing, we are just looking to kill some snows and not have to travel very far. I would love to go out west for them, but looking to stay as close to home and as cost effective as possible

LongSnapper
hunter

Postby skydog » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:04 am

EastBound&Down wrote:If you could get something in the next couple of weeks I would search Arkansas. I would also look into one of the states out west and chase them on the spring migration. I would rather paint the house than pursue them in NC and I hate painting.

:lol: well said. You are much more likely to strike out than you are to have a good hunt. And a good/great hunt in NC is maybe 10 birds? Whereas a good hunt for them in areas they're worth hunting is 100+ birds.
Give a man a duck and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to duck hunt and he'll go broke and starve.
skydog
hunter

Postby LongSnapper » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:19 am

I understand that NC is not the best place to kill them. I just want to know who can give me and some friends the best chance at killing a few. I understand that to kill a lot of birds you have to be where they are. Just want to go snow goose hunting with a guide who can potentially put us on a few. We can't travel out of state as we are still students who have to be in class so just looking for somewhere in NC

LongSnapper
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:16 am

If you want some shooting then I would suggest going to a preserve and doing a quail and pheasant hunt locally. Probably would be cheaper, guaranteed shooting, and you will have something tasty to take home with you.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby skydog » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:01 pm

I think Troy Boyd or one of his guys messes some with the snows in Feb. You could try to contact him.

Capt. Froggy does snow hunts but I don't think you want to go that route. You're in college- spend your money on booze and chasing coeds, not on a failed NC snow goose hunt.
Give a man a duck and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to duck hunt and he'll go broke and starve.
skydog
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:44 pm

skydog wrote:spend your money on booze and chasing coeds, not on a failed NC snow goose hunt.

Nothing like keeping hunting season going on year long. Just a different game :grooving:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby HFDLT » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:49 pm

Dude go for it, some friends and I are using Troy Boyd early March. I might not pull the trigger it could get lucky and shoot quite a few. I would love to go to Arkansas but probably like you this ain't the year. Drive, license, guide, hotel, food, yeah it's a bit more money. Enjoy the chance to extend your hunting season with friends on a bird you haven't done much with!
HFDLT
hunter

Postby merg » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:17 pm

Bout 3000 using a field Troy hunts, yesterday.
merg
hunter

Postby JamesM » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:28 am

My two cents is save your money. Try to get a gobbler in a couple months if you're just wanting to hunt. Take the money you would've spent and put it aside in your "Arkansas Fund" for next year. If you go this route feel free to PM me cause I know a great goose guide working in Arkansas.
JamesM
hunter

Postby LongSnapper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:16 am

JamesM wrote:My two cents is save your money. Try to get a gobbler in a couple months if you're just wanting to hunt. Take the money you would've spent and put it aside in your "Arkansas Fund" for next year. If you go this route feel free to PM me cause I know a great goose guide working in Arkansas.

Oh, trust me, I'll be chasing gobblers in a couple months as well, but we are already saving for an arkansas hunt next year, just want to shoot some snows this year close to home

LongSnapper
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Troy Boyd is about the best chance at killing snow geese in NC. If I was going to hunt them here, that's who I would go with.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:23 pm

Troy is your best bet, please do not waste your money on Froggy.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting