They are Mostly Gone

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

They are Mostly Gone

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:33 am

Checked a lot of places over the last week. Very few ducks left. Hopefully they will come in droves next year. Here's to a good breeding season.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Re: They are Mostly Gone

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:38 pm

Been one of the warmest and strangest duck seasons I can ever remember.
Should of been a good one to weed out a bunch of the newbie duck commanders that have popped up over last couple of years.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone ยป Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:25 pm

I'm afraid they are here to stay, I've been hoping the new breed of duck hunters would fade when gas prices shot up a few years ago. Or when the public impoundments went from walk in days to all permits. Nothing has stopped them yet. A couple of bad years probably won't either. About the only solution is cut the season back to 30 or 45 days and the bag limit. That was the way it was in the late 1980s and early 90s.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Galactic Ricky » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:36 pm

I don't know....I noticed a lot less hunters where I usually go. The season was pretty good for me until right after that last freeze.
Galactic Ricky
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:26 pm

There's still a few around. One of my friends on the coast called me this morning and told me that one of his neighbors that is a commercial fisherman brought him 15 redheads that had drowned in his net. Some were actually still alive and were released. :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:There's still a few around. One of my friends on the coast called me this morning and told me that one of his neighbors that is a commercial fisherman brought him 15 redheads that had drowned in his net. Some were actually still alive and were released. :thumbsup:

Good story, nice to see some lived. I did see more in Dare around pea island than in Hyde. I saw almost none in Juniper bay all the way to Wysocking. Our impoundments were full two weeks ago and were completely empty this past week. not many on the refuge. very few in MI8&9.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby merg » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Bunch of swan flyin oer the house going north this morning. Riding that south wind outta here.
merg
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:26 am

Dingbatter 2 wrote:There's still a few around. One of my friends on the coast called me this morning and told me that one of his neighbors that is a commercial fisherman brought him 15 redheads that had drowned in his net. Some were actually still alive and were released. :thumbsup:

Aren't Gill Nets great?? :mad:

Scouted a spot of ours saturday. 250 teal, 250 woodies and 100 widgeon. Way More than during the season. Good to see.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:41 pm

Did see several hundred assorted birds over a private impoundment yesterday near my place in Pamlico County. Funny thing...very few were mallards.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:42 pm

scouted same pond saturday. 150 teal, 100 woodies 50 widgeon. Good to still see some ducks. Gonna drain her down in a week or two. birds didnt want to leave. Seem to be hitting the inverts hard. Lots of paired up birds coming and going through day as well.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting