Which permit hunt is better

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Which one

J. Morgan Futch
40%
Texas Plantation
60%

Total votes : 5

Which permit hunt is better

Postby spots_2016 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:59 pm

I'm going to be applying for a late season duck hunting permit for the first time and would like to know if anyone knows what's the better J. Morgan Futch gameland or the Texas plantation gamelans thanks for any info regarding either
spots_2016
hunter

Re: Which permit hunt is better

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:46 pm

To be honest neither, permit draw hunts aren't really that great. You might not even get drawn.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:39 pm

Apply for both, if you get drawn for either let us know how it goes.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby spots_2016 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:32 pm

OK I will apply for both I'll see how it goes from there
spots_2016
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:08 am

Comes up every year: So here is my two cents worth before you put in for any draw hunt-

You should:

1- know the area you are putting in for well- maps and google are available- before you apply
2- know where the area is located, where to stay, how long the drive before you apply
3- know what equipment is allowed/needed/not allowed before you apply
4- know if check in is required, when and what time before you apply
5- make sure you understand gameland rules before you apply
6- be on time and follow rules
7- have a good time, even if there are few (or no) ducks

Permit hunts are not guaranteed, like all hunts there is a chance you will do well and a chance you will get skunked.

Finally leave the area better than you found it, clean up your trash and even the other guys trash. Make it like you would want to find it when you arrive. Have a great hunt.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:15 pm

Well stated Bigsprig :thumbsup:
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby high flyer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:09 pm

EastBound&Down wrote:Well stated Bigsprig :thumbsup:

I agree
high flyer
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Suggs #4 is a can't miss ! :no:
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby fowlhntr » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:28 am

Dingbatter wrote:Suggs #4 is a can't miss ! :no:

Damn now you let the cat out of the bag! :lol: :beer: :bow:
fowlhntr
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:21 pm

After recently viewing some of the state impoundments conditions, I will say there will be some very disappointed waterfowl hunters come this fall. I can't even say for sure that the NCWRC is putting forth any effort towards planting and maintenance on some of the areas that have traditionally been fair in the past.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:52 pm

fowlhntr wrote:
Dingbatter wrote:Suggs #4 is a can't miss ! :no:

Damn now you let the cat out of the bag! :lol: :beer: :bow:

The devil made me do it! :devil:

If you base your hunting season on which permit you get drawn is where you are hunting you need to quit.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:35 am

No corn this year at futch and half of texas plantation is being worked on so no go there. Any idea why no corn at futch this year?? My guess was it was just a wet spring and they couldnt get it in. I hope they arent going to all soybeans for good. That wont help anything. Futch has been slow at best the last few years
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:20 am

KAhunter wrote:No corn this year at futch and half of texas plantation is being worked on so no go there. Any idea why no corn at futch this year?? My guess was it was just a wet spring and they couldnt get it in. I hope they arent going to all soybeans for good. That wont help anything. Futch has been slow at best the last few years

I don't think a wet spring had anything to do with it. Farmer was there drilling beans the first of June when I was there bear sight seeing. Maybe choice is up to farmer on what to plant and it was time for a crop rotation?????
Perhaps NCWRC decided corn was too effective and switched over to weed fields and a few beans to intentionally drive down the opportunity of a successful hunt which seems to be in their management role of our game lands.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:56 pm

I personally think the head of WRC/ Marine Fisheries should be an elected position. they would have to campaign on what they would do for the citizens of the state. Otherwise appoint me as lifetime CZAR and duck hunting and sound fishing would greatly improve.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby creekcaptain » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:15 pm

sss
Last edited by creekcaptain on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
creekcaptain
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:10 am

Went by futch yesterday afternoon. Wasnt impressed. Catfish ponds are choked with alligator weed. Soybeans look good and one moist soil unit looks good. other moist soil unit has been disced up heavily. I am assuming to set back plant succession or to open up area couldnt tell for sure. I hope they get the $hit together for next year.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:39 am

there is so much good corn in the area that it may be tough for the marginal places to draw ducks. Futch and Texas may have a tough year. As sure as I say that they may have a banner year.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:13 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:As sure as I say that they may have a banner year.

I highly doubt it.
I'm afraid the good ole days of that place have come and gone. As KAhunter previously stated, the hunting has been off there for the last couple of years. My theory is poor management by the NCWRC and it seemed it started after the permanent blinds where put in place for all the cry babies who don't know how to scout and hunt ducks on a even playing field with other hunters.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting