Sunday Hunting- confused yet?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Sunday Hunting- confused yet?

Postby bigsprig » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Migratory Birds
Under the new law, hunting of migratory birds on Sundays remains prohibited. The legislation gives the Commission the authority to lift the prohibition after March 1, 2018. The Commission is required to complete a study that includes examining biological and resource management impacts, economic impacts, and social impacts associated with hunting migratory birds on Sundays.

Any potential changes in migratory bird hunting, including the longstanding waterfowl hunting season structure, must be cautiously considered before determining whether changes should be implemented. The Commission will establish a decision process that is collaborative, inclusive, and scientifically sound. It is critical to study all potential impacts comprehensively before deciding whether or not to make any changes to Sunday hunting of migratory birds.

Compensatory Days for Waterfowl Hunting
Compensatory days apply only to waterfowl hunting, but are dependent on Sunday hunting prohibitions that must apply to all migratory bird species.

In 1997, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service worked with the Atlantic Flyway Council to clarify the issue of compensatory days for states that prohibited hunting on Sundays.

States that prohibited Sunday hunting of all migratory bird species by state law prior to 1997 are eligible for compensatory days for waterfowl hunting. In those states, federal rules reflect state laws by prohibiting all take of migratory birds on Sundays. Although waterfowl hunting season days must run consecutively within each segment, Sundays are not counted as hunting days and are replaced by an equal number of compensatory hunting days.

Using the 2016 – 2017 general duck hunting season framework as an example, North Carolina was allocated 60 days to hunt under the following conditions:

The season could not begin before Sept. 29, 2016 and could not end later than Jan. 29, 2017.
Migratory birds could not be hunted on Sundays.
The season could not be broken into more than three segments (two splits). Within each segment, days were counted consecutively except for the closed Sundays which were not included.

The 2016-2017 general duck hunting season was the following:

Season Segment Season Dates Calendar Days Hunting Days Number of Saturdays Number of Sundays
1 10/5 thru 10/8 4 4 1 0
2 11/12 thru 12/3 22 19 4 0
3 12/17 thru 1/28 43 37 7 0

Totals:

69 60 12 0

Here is a hypothetical comparison of what the season may have been if there were no prohibition against hunting migratory birds on Sundays.

Season Segment

Season Dates

Calendar Days

Hunting Days

Number of Saturdays

Number of Sundays

10/6 thru 10/9

11/23 thru 12/4

12*

12/16 thru 1/28

Totals:

*Under this scenario, days are shifted toward the latter part of the framework. Under either scenario, hunters would be allocated the same number of hunting days (60) distributed within three segments (with two splits).
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Re: Sunday Hunting- confused yet?

Postby Dingbatter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:50 pm

I remember when we had 3 days in October, 3 days at Thanksgiving and then the regular season started in early December and ran until early January, normally ended after the first week. Everyone assumes we will always have a 60 day season, what happens if it goes back to this?
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Uglymud » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:48 am

I'm all for Sunday hunting, but it doesn't do a lot of us much good if they don't open the game lands up on Sunday.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Uglymud
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:48 am

Uglymud wrote:I'm all for Sunday hunting, but it doesn't do a lot of us much good if they don't open the game lands up on Sunday.

Just hunt near the shoreline of Jones Bay or Bay River. it is way better than game lands.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby cbrtrvr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:40 am

Not a big fan of Sunday hunting. I think it needs more research before it takes effect. Because from what I read and understood is they are giving us Sunday's to hunt. But you can't hunt between 930 and 1230. So if there is 12 Sunday's that's 36 hours you can't hunt. That takes away roughly 3 or 4 days of hunting depending on where you hunt. So we are giving away days. But then again I could be reading this wrong I've been known to do that from time to time.
cbrtrvr
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:52 pm

This is going to turn into one big cluster before its done and over with. I've heard that there is a lot of grumbling in Pamlico Co against Sunday hunting. I don't think Hyde or Dare allow it now so I don't see it changing for waterfowl. We have a good season structure now, don't need to screw it up.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Raging Woodie » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:14 am

Dingbatter wrote:This is going to turn into one big cluster before its done and over with. I've heard that there is a lot of grumbling in Pamlico Co against Sunday hunting. I don't think Hyde or Dare allow it now so I don't see it changing for waterfowl. We have a good season structure now, don't need to screw it up.

Totally agree. People just can't sit back and see what a mess this will turn into in more ways than one and learn to leave well enough alone.
"When blizzards and storm winds strike, other hunters curl up by the hearth. Waterfowlers go forth."
Raging Woodie
hunter

Postby Uglymud » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 am

We need to just do as most other states and open up Sunday hunting everywhere, and open gamelands on Sunday.

Uglymud
hunter

Postby creekcaptain » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:10 pm

Dingbatter wrote:This is going to turn into one big cluster before its done and over with. I've heard that there is a lot of grumbling in Pamlico Co against Sunday hunting. I don't think Hyde or Dare allow it now so I don't see it changing for waterfowl. We have a good season structure now, don't need to screw it up.

It will be double duty for enforcement agents in blind law counties and I'm sure double the yahoos and skyblasters pressing there luck on trespassing. The paid cronies who chase folks away from "permanent hunting locations" will be working all weekend now. :clapping:
creekcaptain
hunter

Postby echoduck » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Pamlico county should focus on their meth/opioid problem and less on some guy shooting within 500 yds of a blind on Bay River.
echoduck
hunter

Postby merg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:57 am

Raging Woodie wrote:

Totally agree. People just can't sit back and see what a mess this will turn into in more ways than one and learn to leave well enough alone.

Agree 100%.
Somebody whispered "economic opportunity" to folks who care about little else.
merg
hunter

Postby creekcaptain » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:46 am

There was a Delta Waterfowl article bragging about how they were the driving force in pushing the sunday hunting initiative. They have claimed victory. :no:

https://deltawaterfowl.org/expansion-of ... -into-law/
creekcaptain
hunter

Postby echoduck » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:51 am

The linked article states Delta Waterfowl feels the addition of Sunday hunting will increase hunting access in North Carolina. If they feel so passionate about increasing hunter access why didn't they support removing the restrictive 500 yd rule that affects some of our coastal counties?
echoduck
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Good observation Echo. Their press release was very misleading as mentioned. They appear to have their own agenda for NC ...
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:37 pm

Money, that is all Delta wants. Didn't they side in favor of the Safe Hunter Law in Pamlico county a few years back too?
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Dingbatter wrote:Money, that is all Delta wants. Didn't they side in favor of the Safe Hunter Law in Pamlico county a few years back too?

Yes because the local Delta leadership was being courted by the clubs/land owners who are pushing to keep the law up and running.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:32 am

creekcaptain wrote:

It will be double duty for enforcement agents in blind law counties and I'm sure double the yahoos and skyblasters pressing there luck on trespassing. The paid cronies who chase folks away from "permanent hunting locations" will be working all weekend now. :clapping:

I think Pamlico county law enforcement will be hunting with the big money clubs so don't worry about them. they have Splashin Divers in their pocket.
as long as people are on the water they are not trespassing.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:56 pm

EastBound&Down wrote:
Dingbatter wrote:Money, that is all Delta wants. Didn't they side in favor of the Safe Hunter Law in Pamlico county a few years back too?

Yes because the local Delta leadership was being courted by the clubs/land owners who are pushing to keep the law up and running.

I always trash anything I get from Delta, more reason now than ever. :yes:
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:57 pm

I used to think a lot of Delta and what they were attempting to do and how they supported the hunting community. Now it looks like they support the hunters that pay curry to them. I'm still baffled at their press release claiming victory (Sunday waterfowl hunting) when it's not the case. Gonna take more political maneuvering to bring it to fruition for the 2018-19 season. And with severe limitions to boot.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby merg » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:12 am

A few (entire) weekends of 30,000 idiots spaced out every 80yds, blowin the reeds out of their lanyard full o calls, blastin 3.5s at every songbird, grebe or bufflehead that ventures within 100yds, rallying rafts, boat riding/socializing/boom scouting around at 9:00am and taking 20 mins on the ramp to dump their 14' boat oer...
Serious fowlers will be yelling for blind laws everywhere east of 95 (like VA. has).
merg
hunter

Postby echoduck » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:33 am

Just because some hunter has the potential to be an idiot on the big water (especially west of 17 residents) should not allow a few coastal counties to keep people off a public domain. By the same virtue, these same areas should be closed to fishing, water sports or any activity where there is potential for someone to be a nuisance.
echoduck
hunter

Postby merg » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:03 am

You, and every other citizen can apply for a blind in Currituck or Dare, just like you and every citizen can apply for any draw hunt. Aren't the draw hunts on public land? Why aren't you up in arms about not being able to hunt public land/impoundments without winning a lottery? After all the public should have unfettered access to ALL public lands and waters right? J
merg
hunter

Postby skydog » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:11 am

I can tell yall from our experience with it here in Virginia for the past few years, nothing good comes from SH for waterfowl.

It's condensed our season to the point that we now miss out on any December migration and the few birds that are here during our compressed season are that much more pressured. The atlantic flyway already has the worst duck hunting in the country with too many duck hunters and too few ducks. Adding SH to that mix only makes matters worse.
Give a man a duck and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to duck hunt and he'll go broke and starve.
skydog
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 am

merg wrote:You, and every other citizen can apply for a blind in Currituck or Dare, just like you and every citizen can apply for any draw hunt. Aren't the draw hunts on public land? Why aren't you up in arms about not being able to hunt public land/impoundments without winning a lottery? After all the public should have unfettered access to ALL public lands and waters right? J

I trust that you know the difference between allowing any citizen the chance at a weekend hunt and giving cronies exclusive life time rights to public water blinds in some of the best hunting grounds in he Atlantic flyway. You have a great future as a Democrat spinmiester.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby merg » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:42 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:
merg wrote:You, and every other citizen can apply for a blind in Currituck or Dare, just like you and every citizen can apply for any draw hunt. Aren't the draw hunts on public land? Why aren't you up in arms about not being able to hunt public land/impoundments without winning a lottery? After all the public should have unfettered access to ALL public lands and waters right? J

I trust that you know the difference between allowing any citizen the chance at a weekend hunt and giving cronies exclusive life time rights to public water blinds in some of the best hunting grounds in he Atlantic flyway. You have a great future as a Democrat spinmiester.

You can trust that I know the difference between a coherent arguement and lame conspiracy theories/juvenile political insults.
merg
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting