Help me start a diver spread

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Help me start a diver spread

Postby tobers » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 am

I hunt a lot in the middle part of the state but also want the ability to travel towards the coast. Up to this point I've just always used 1-2 dozen puddle duck decoys but I have a dozen worn out ones I want to paint and start a diver spread with.

If I'm hunting in the raleigh/Durham area and maybe the coast a few times a year, what should I be painting? Buffle heads? Red heads? Blue bill? Thanks for helping a complete beginner
tobers
Newb

Re: Help me start a diver spread

Postby HydeMarsh » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:23 pm

don't laugh but sometimes straight flat black works really well. paint them like bluebills and red heads.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:20 pm

You will need more than 1 dozen divers to have any success. I wouldn't even think of going out with less than 5 dozen, and you'll be better off with more.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby echoduck » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:07 am

If you are only going a few times per year to the "coast", hire a guide. Spread wise i would recommend 150-300 blocks (25 dozen) this depends on the time of the year and the amount of birds on the sound. Mainly running blackheads with a few dozen cans/reds. You will need a sizable boat to handle this amount of weight. This will get very expensive. It is easier to pay a guide 150 bucks per day. You dont have to scout or buy all these decoys.
echoduck
hunter

Postby tobers » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:19 pm

Is it totally useless to hunt over two dozen? I gotta start somewhere. I realize it might not be ideal but is it a total waste of time?
tobers
Newb

Postby echoduck » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:36 pm

In diver hunting on large bodies of water numbers matter greatly. You have to realize these birds are used to seeing rafts of several hundred to thousands of birds in the sounds. Flying over and seeing your 24 birds will not be impressive to them. You may decoy a flock here or there depending on your location but you will not consistently decoy divers with a spread that small in coastal NC. Just call Adam Jones he will hook you up.
echoduck
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:26 am

If you scout, you can find small pot holes in the marsh where you can decoys birds with a much smaller spread. I've had plenty of success killing bills and buffies over 4 dozen blocks if you are in the right spot. You won't pull big knots of birds in, but you can definitely decoy small groups and do fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluesky2012
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting