guide hunts

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

guide hunts

Postby ericannolivia » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:32 am

Been some period since went on a guided hunt so decided to go on another one this year. Went looking at the prices and all I can say is my God. Cheapest seen was 550 blind max of 3 people some as much as 250 per person. Its getting so that the common person cant hunt any more. For most of us this was the only way to do a coast hunt because of all the blind laws but now this is getting where it is not possible.
ericannolivia
hunter

Re: guide hunts

Postby cbrtrvr » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:38 am

Where are you looking to hunt?
cbrtrvr
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:40 am

They can pretty much charge whatever they want and people will stand in line to hunt with them and shoot buffleheads. Most are booked and have waiting list if someone cancels. Some of them are putting 8 people in a blind which is retarded and just asking for something bad to happen.

As far as the price, nothing about hunting is cheap.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby skydog » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:16 am

$250/person? That's cheap these days. DaretoHyde and most of the other impoundment operations are charging $350/person for a morning hunt.

Crazy but people are paying it. After many failed attempts, I've made a lifelong policy to no longer pay for guided duck hunts in the atlantic flyway. I'll save my money and make a trip every few years to a part of the country that actually has good duck hunting.
Give a man a duck and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to duck hunt and he'll go broke and starve.
skydog
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:14 am

Skydog, I understand your feeling and agree, other flyways have a lot more ducks to chase than we do. But don't sell yourself short on area guides, I personally know two that are the exception to the "take your $/put you in a box" ones. These fellows flat out work to put you on birds and have great success at doing so. And the great thing is they are very reasonably priced and will respond to your emails and calls. Happy to share info to those interested.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby skydog » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:52 am

^Fair enough, shurshot. I wasn't trying to put down any area guides and I know there are guys who work hard to put folks on birds and they obviously meet a demand from the hunting population.

I think for guys who might only get to hunt a couple days a season or who want a change of scenery, a guide (even on the east coast :smile: ) is the way to go. Compared to what I spend most years on leases, decoys, gas, etc. I'd probably be better off just going on a handful of guided hunts each year and being done with it.
Give a man a duck and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to duck hunt and he'll go broke and starve.
skydog
hunter

Postby bootliplivesmatter » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Been go public to AR for 2-4 weeks a season. Sick of the drive. Any birds worth giving it a shot up in NC? I'm in SC. We kill a couple here and there, but the # of ppl and the ethics of the modern age hunters are sending birds to other flyways. Looking for reputable decent priced guide or hitting the coast or something. Anyone got any pointers?
bootliplivesmatter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:27 am

bootliplivesmatter wrote: Anyone got any pointers?

Keep heading west :thumbsup:
You are pissing $ away paying for a guided hunt in NC. A payed hunt in NC gives you the chance you might see a duck or 2 and cost twice as much as a guided hunt in a good flyway :huh: verses out west you are paying for most likely having a successful hunt.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone ยป Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting