High Rock

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

High Rock

Postby upwardcalling_7 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:14 am

Hey everyone. New to NC so I've been doing some scouting. The subject line probably has you rolling your eyes based on everything that I've read about high rock and the attention it gets. However my question is related more to unwritten rules. I've hunted on Lake Catahoula in LA and it's one of those lakes with a ton of unwritten rules. It's a public lake that's actually not so "public" unless you have an in. I was wondering how High Rock is when it comes to being "public" I've seen a couple of permanent duck blinds on the lake and that led me to question what I was about to get myself into.

Any additional info In regards to the unwritten rules or the people would be great. Thanks.
upwardcalling_7
hunter

Re: High Rock

Postby upwardcalling_7 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:32 pm

If someone wants to shoot me a PM that'd be fine too. Just wanna know what I'm getting myself into before it happens.
upwardcalling_7
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Not familiar with the lake, but if the blind is built on public waters, then it's a public blind. The person who built the blind would probably disagree and think that they have special rights to the area, but that's BS. If the blind becomes a problem a lightening storm usually comes along and remedies the problem.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:33 am

Hi, Below is the state law that gives you the right to hunt on High Rock. I keep a copy of this document in my boat so that I can present it to any law enforcement officer . Riparian rights in NC do not include any provisions that gives shore line property exclusivity for hunting and fishing in waters adjacent to their property.

North Carolina General Statutes: North Carolina’s Public Trust Doctrine (NC PTD):
N.C.G.S. § 1-45.1. ----------------. As used in this section, "public trust rights" means those
rights held in trust by the State for the use and benefit of the people of the State in
common. They are established by common law as interpreted by the courts of this State.
They include, but are not limited to, the right to navigate, swim, hunt, fish, and enjoy all
recreational activities in the watercourses of the State and the right to freely use and enjoy the State's ocean and estuarine beaches and public access to the beaches.
It has consistently been the law of this jurisdiction that lands and waters held by the
sovereign in trust for the public cannot be conveyed by the State so as to deprive the
public of its rights therein, except for legislatively authorized public purposes furthering the trust.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:40 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:Hi, Below is the state law that gives you the right to hunt on High Rock. I keep a copy of this document in my boat so that I can present it to any law enforcement officer . Riparian rights in NC do not include any provisions that gives shore line property exclusivity for hunting and fishing in waters adjacent to their property.

North Carolina General Statutes: North Carolina’s Public Trust Doctrine (NC PTD):
N.C.G.S. § 1-45.1. ----------------. As used in this section, "public trust rights" means those
rights held in trust by the State for the use and benefit of the people of the State in
common. They are established by common law as interpreted by the courts of this State.
They include, but are not limited to, the right to navigate, swim, hunt, fish, and enjoy all
recreational activities in the watercourses of the State and the right to freely use and enjoy the State's ocean and estuarine beaches and public access to the beaches.
It has consistently been the law of this jurisdiction that lands and waters held by the
sovereign in trust for the public cannot be conveyed by the State so as to deprive the
public of its rights therein, except for legislatively authorized public purposes furthering the trust.

Would be nice if this held true at the North end of our great state's coastal areas.
CountryRN
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:59 am

Returning this to reality will take a court case, we have tried the State legislature, the Governor and the Attorney General (who has the obligation to defend our public trust rights) all to no avail. One is coming.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting