Decoy Spreads

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Decoy Spreads

Postby Jman03 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to the page and have been duck hunting for a couple yrs. I am trying to get my decoy count up and I need some help, I live in the mtns of NC near the new river and have mainly hunted Canada geese but trying to get some more ducks in the spread for a more realistic look, I have 3 doz goose shell decoys, 4 goose floaters, a doz mallard floaters and a couple sleepers and duck butts. I guess the questions I have are, I don't want a predominant mallard spread I would like to add something else but what other species could I add to the spread of floaters I already have? How many decoys of other species would I add?
Jman03
Newb

Re: Decoy Spreads

Postby EastBound&Down » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Depends on what else you are seeing???
Adding a bunch of decoys ain't gonna make you kill more ducks if you don't have them in the area.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone ยป Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Re: Decoy Spreads

Postby skydog » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:48 am

Stick with what ducks you see and keep it realistic...in other words don't have a decoy spread of 5 dozen ducks if you mostly only see small groups of birds.
Give a man a duck and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to duck hunt and he'll go broke and starve.
skydog
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting