Where are the ducks?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Re: Where are the ducks?

Postby spots_2016 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:15 am

They startin to leave saw some flocks flyin south yesterday
spots_2016
hunter

Postby visco » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:15 pm

this is awesome... it makes me feel like I am back home in Southern Louisiana :clapping: You think you're bad on this forum... those coonass's from Cajun country do not say a word, they shoot first. :grooving:
visco
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 pm

visco wrote:this is awesome... it makes me feel like I am back home in Southern Louisiana :clapping: You think you're bad on this forum... those coonass's from Cajun country do not say a word, they shoot first. :grooving:

I watched a guy pull his pants down and take a dump on the hood of another hunters truck one time at the ramp. Gotta love North Carolina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby seamusduckdog » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:30 pm

I guess the real question is...when will they get there? I hunt Lake Erie and the Niagara River. Finally, just spotted a good raft of mixed divers this past Sunday (26th). Traditionally, they would get here after the 20th of October, but in the last 5 years or so, have been showing very late in the season. Too much open water in Canada!! I hope you NC guys get a crack at them before the season is out.
seamusduckdog
hunter

Postby visco » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:48 am

spent all day Sunday on the beach and did not see much. Maybe 4 or 5 good flocks of birds, most were about a mile off the beach heading South. I did not see anything fly over the ICW, except for one small flock of geese, and they were headed North.

good thing we have two weeks until season cranks up again...
visco
hunter

Postby creekcaptain » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:14 am

I got talked into trying some public land for woodies on Saturday for a quick hunt so we could be home early and get on the honey do list. Got to the ramp to see three truck loads of high school kids dropping in there jon boats. It seemed like they all knew each other as they were conversing and talking. My buddy got there a little later after most of them had launched. We got back to our little spot and waited for LST. About 6 minutes before, it sounded like WW3 behind us. Those 12 kids must have tied up together and they all shot non stop for 5 minutes. They had to have been sky busting the ducks coming out of the roost. :eek: Finally the shooting subsided and then the clock struck LST. They were done shooting BEFORE LST. We heard a couple shots after that from other locations, but that was about it for the AM. It was pretty sad all the way around. On a positive note, I guess they had done there scouting... :no:
creekcaptain
hunter

Postby OUTATIME » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Blue sky, did the man use TP? :lol3:
OUTATIME
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 pm

OUTATIME wrote:Blue sky, did the man use TP? :lol3:

Shoot no. Dropped the hot steamer, climbed down, and got in his truck and drove off like he had done it before.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby OUTATIME » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:32 am

:lol3: :lol3:
OUTATIME
hunter

Postby Galactic Ricky » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:34 am

So I guess it wasn't quite a clean get away.... :wink:
Galactic Ricky
hunter

Postby CatFan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 am

Seems to be a few more mallards around here and I saw two buffleheads in a pond in my neighborhood yesterday morning.
CatFan
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm

One poor lost soul---a drake ringneck duck---was swimming alone in the retention pond at the airport today in New Bern. I bet one of you mean SOB's shot his girlfriend.

I have a really, really good feeling about what we are going to see on 16 December. We'll see.....
Paul26
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Shoot y'all are just looking in the wrong spots. Wigeon are thick right now!

....in a pond, at a park, in Arizona hahaha

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:41 pm

deer hunted most of the week so I did not scout for ducks till Friday. boy what a change I encountered. My buddies in Fairfield said that huge flights of ducks started dropping in from on high Tuesday. We rode around Saturday and what we saw was very encouraging. lots of all types of puddle ducks. Wind to bad to go on the sound. So many more Swans at skeet this year.

Not saying that what is here will fly during legal Shooting Time, but there are a lot more ducks than there have been. the biggest knots we saw were on the western side. my path on the northeast side is blocked so I did not see what is on the lake there. however there do not seem to be as many ducks there as usual. every year is different.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby DOT3 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Hunting geese today (SJB zone) and as soon as the clouds from this front broke the tops of the trees about 0900, here come about 400 geese from somewhere over virginia. Of course I'd gotten out of the blind to check on a beaver swamp across the field and got caught out in the open. Too bad too bc they wanted down. Somehow they picked me off kneeling in a picked bean field. Smh
DOT3
hunter

Postby visco » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:18 pm

yea... not looking forward to Saturday here, been doing a bunch of scouting over the last two weeks, and haven't seen much at all. even my woodie location was only holding a couple of loons.
visco
hunter

Previous

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting