Pls post pics and send reports on this 4 day season

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Pls post pics and send reports on this 4 day season

Postby Paul26 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:29 am

Interested to see how awesome this 4-day season is! Pls send pics!!!
Paul26
hunter

Re: Pls post pics and send reports on this 4 day season

Postby Duckincrazy88 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:02 pm

Have scouted several areas along the rivers and few beaver ponds that hold ducks, and it's been staggering to see how few ducks are around. My expectations for this 4 day aren't high, this time last year where there were hundreds of woodies you'd be lucky to see 30.
Duckincrazy88
Newb

Postby Duckincrazy88 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:36 am

As expected this was a poor early season..had some success but it was short lived. Was at the ramp Friday got there early to beat the crowd, we did, however I met the wood duck pit crew. I pulled up backed the boat to the launch and was getting my mess in together about 4 min after I was there slipped into my waders these boys rolled up. 3 of them were in the truck I literally stopped what I was doing in awe of how they were moving! One jumped in the boat while the other piled the gear in none of them bothered getting waders on just tossed them in their ride. The Driver of the truck barley let it stop rolling they were lunched and truck parked in like 60 sec! Lol my buddy just started laughing was like dude don't rush we lost that race! Them boys were making a wake before I could fire my motor. Lucky for us they went to a different hole, still had a good hunt. Bird count super low hope this is going to change soon...props to them fellas who move like ninjas!
Duckincrazy88
Newb

Postby Dingbatter » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:10 pm

With the full moon as bright as it had been I could see without lights at 530 AM every morning going to work. I saw no need to even attempt to hunt with the moon so full and bright. Most wood ducks would have flown before LST.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby fowlhntr » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:32 am

only made it out twice, opener and Sat. Opening day we took a 3 man limit of wood ducks in around an hour, Saw good amounts of wood ducks but only one single teal . Sat only took 2 wood ducks. Had a thick blanket of fog over the swamp and it killed us. Could hear their wings and squealing as they would pass by but you cant shoot what you cant see. nice to be out there again and get the dog on a few birds. November will be here soon
fowlhntr
hunter

Postby spots_2016 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:41 pm

I had a good Saturday saw a ton of woodducks and a black duck
spots_2016
hunter

Postby skydog » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:41 am

Paul26 wrote:Interested to see how awesome this 4-day season is! Pls send pics!!!

Sounds like someone isn't a fan of the early season?

Hunting was poor in my neck of the woods this weekend as well but it's still better than having to wait until November to get back out there and it's only 4 days of our 60 that gets used up in the process.
Give a man a duck and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to duck hunt and he'll go broke and starve.
skydog
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:02 am

My 8 year old daughter thought it was an awesome time. The water swat queen rained hell on them and we came out with a 2 person limit of wood ducks. Plenty of ducks, multiple in the decoy shot opportunities, ducks didn't start flying until at least 5min past LST and were still flying when we were leaving. Bojangles fed and home back to momma by 9am and then off to dance at fall festival at noon.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone ยป Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby DOT3 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:21 am

Would have liked to see the ninja crew do their thing. Had a good hunt...went Friday morning before my wedding on Saturday, got my groomsman from Rhode Island his first mallards, as well as getting my dog her first retrieves. Also got the boat good and stuck. A very memorable weekend!
DOT3
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:35 pm

Bah, humbug. 4 days out of our 60, gone never to be back.

But I'm glad those who went shot something.
Paul26
hunter

Postby skydog » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:50 pm

I'm guessing it's similar in NC but here in VA the state has historically viewed the Oct season as more geared towards those in the Western half of the state to increase access as some of those guys won't have much open water come late season. It's a throwaway 4 days for the coastal hunter though and with how warm our winters have been lately, it can be argued that the western guys don't need it much either.

But like I said, I'd rather have a few days of slow hunting in October than have to wait another month+ to hunt them in November.
Give a man a duck and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to duck hunt and he'll go broke and starve.
skydog
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 pm

Hunted all 4 days. Did some serious traveling but had some success. Thursday afternoon and friday morning where the biggest busts. Wednesday was great killing a bunch of mallards, woodies, teal, 2 widgeon and a gadwall. Rest of trip was slower but killed limits of woodies every day with a few teal mixed in. Was hotter than hell but the bugs werent terrible. Ready for november and come cool weather.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting