Crossing state lines

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Crossing state lines

Postby DOT3 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:25 pm

Anyone know the rules regarding launching your boat in one state and crossing the state line to hunt? I don't have an out of state license and want to stay in compliance, but I'd like to shave 45 minutes off my boat ride. Google was no help. Thanks
DOT3
hunter

Re: Crossing state lines

Postby Shurshot » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:01 pm

It sounds as if your asking about needing a hunting license to hunt in that other state. I'm fairly certain there is no reciprocity between us and our neighboring states with maybe the exception being on Kerr and or Gaston lakes. But I think that pertains to fishing only and there may be limitations. But I'm almost certain you'd need a hunting license for that particular state. Maybe someone who hunts up that way can shed more light.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:12 am

Reciprocity laws only apply to fishing. You are required to possess a hunting license for the state you're hunting in.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby DOT3 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:44 am

No I'm only talking about traveling one state's waters to get to the state I'm hunting in, where I do have a license. My question is do I need a license just to posses a stowed gun and some dead birds once I leave nc waters to get back to the launch? I could launch in nc where my license are valid,but I'd add almost an hour to my boat ride. Thanks for the input so far though.
DOT3
hunter

Postby spots_2016 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:27 am

I believe you have to tag the birds when crossing state lines and the gun would probably require a gun lock or be disassembled
spots_2016
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:06 am

You definitely will need a hunting license for the state you're returning to! How else are the wardens to know where you were hunting, your word? Your boat, your gun, dead ducks, their state ..... you're hunting. Having the birds in your vehicle as you cross state lines however, doesn't represent a hunting situation but if you were stopped, you'd still have to be in compliance with waterfowl regs (license, stamp, bag limits, etc.).
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby DOT3 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:28 pm

I know about the reciprocal fishing license on gaston and kerr, but they don't have that arrangement on any of the rivers east of 95 yet fishermen put in in va and fish nc only to return to va to go home (without a va fishing license). I haven't contacted a va warden yet so until I do I'll just endure a long boat ride.

Shurshot I know what you're saying and agree that it is muddy water. But seeing that happen all the time while fishing, I thought I'd ask.
DOT3
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting