Public Permit Hunts Drawn

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Public Permit Hunts Drawn

Postby lunkerrama » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:46 am

NC Wildlife permit draw is complete. We did well, with everyone getting Swan with the additional 2500 permits.
Hope everyone pulled something exciting. Now we just need water
lunkerrama
hunter

Re: Public Permit Hunts Drawn

Postby echoduck » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:17 am

Only applied for swan and wasn’t drawn. These permits need to give consideration to folks who live in coastal counties who actually will harvest swans. I’m sure someone from the western part of state will be drawn and not even go. Of course NC wildlife doesn’t care, money is money.
echoduck
hunter

Postby WhiteTailFevah » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:51 pm

This is a dumb question but how do you find out if you were drawn? Just wait for mail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WhiteTailFevah
hunter

Postby spots_2016 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:50 am

Go to the wildlife regulations website got to the permit part scroll down till you see where it says click here to see if you were awarded a permit
spots_2016
hunter

Postby WhiteTailFevah » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:12 pm

spots_2016 wrote:Go to the wildlife regulations website got to the permit part scroll down till you see where it says click here to see if you were awarded a permit

Thanks. Found it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WhiteTailFevah
hunter

Postby spots_2016 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Welcome
spots_2016
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:37 pm

I remain 0-for-life at the Mattamuskeet Wildlife refuge!

Did draw a swan permit, and a hunt at a local impoundment
Paul26
hunter

Postby Ncduckz » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:14 pm

I got drawn for skeet anyone been?
Ncduckz
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Ncduckz wrote:I got drawn for skeet anyone been?

I have tried for years and never been drawn. I am in the area all the time and know the lake well. what dates did you get?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:58 am

I was lucky enough to have been hunting ever since the inception of the draw. Send in your 3/5 choices on a 3x5 index card and it was almost a done deal. Drawn (or hunted with friends) for every blind there-and then some except 10 and 16. Had some exceptional hunts over the decades, including one span of 7 consecutive limits. Have taken a banded black duck, and did a show for COJ where we took another 3 man limit. To say the lake has been good to me is an under statement.

But now, it's extremely unlikely you'll get drawn due to the overwhelming amount of applicants each year. I know one guy that is now 0-23! And for those who have been drawn the last 5 years have not done well birds number wise. Warm winters don't help but there has been a steady decline in the submerged aquatic vegetation (SAV) to the point where it now is ALL GONE - including the east side of the lake. If you don't have that food source for them then there simply won't be that many birds using the lake ( especially south side blind areas) except for a resting and roosting place. It's a serious issue, one that has many Fed and state agencies looking to identify the reasons for it and to subsequently come up with solutions.

I'm not poo-pooing the hunts- heck I still applied for them this year knowing the lake's situation. I'm just pointing all this out to those that don't know and not to be too surprised if your hunts don't produce the numbers you'd hope. Still, the history and beauty of the Refuge is more than worthy of the cost of admission. I wish all the best of luck to those drawn.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:29 am

Shurshot wrote:But now, it's extremely unlikely you'll get drawn due to the overwhelming amount of applicants each year. I know one guy that is now 0-23! And for those who have been drawn the last 5 years have not done well birds number wise. Warm winters don't help but there has been a steady decline in the submerged aquatic vegetation (SAV) to the point where it now is ALL GONE - including the east side of the lake. If you don't have that food source for them then there simply won't be that many birds using the lake ( especially south side blind areas) except for a resting and roosting place. It's a serious issue, one that has many Fed and state agencies looking to identify the reasons for it and to subsequently come up with solutions.

I'm not poo-pooing the hunts- heck I still applied for them this year knowing the lake's situation. I'm just pointing all this out to those that don't know and not to be too surprised if your hunts don't produce the numbers you'd hope. Still, the history and beauty of the Refuge is more than worthy of the cost of admission. I wish all the best of luck to those drawn.

Well stated Shurshot :thumbsup:
I have hunted numerous times over the last 5 years and I'll no longer waste my $5 for the draw nor accept another invite to join on a hunt.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Ncduckz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:29 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:

I have tried for years and never been drawn. I am in the area all the time and know the lake well. what dates did you get?

I drew 9th and 10th never been but everything I have heard is that it's almost a waste of time I have only put in for it the past couple of years just to experience it but I'm not overly optimistic about the hu t
Ncduckz
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:13 am

Ncduckz wrote:
HydeMarsh wrote:

I drew 9th and 10th never been but everything I have heard is that it's almost a waste of time I have only put in for it the past couple of years just to experience it but I'm not overly optimistic about the hu t

Don't think it is a waste of time. If you do not regularly hunt the coast it should be a great experience. It is a fantastic place. You should see an amazing amount of waterfowl. You drew a very good time of year. You may not get many up close but believe me the ducks are there. In addition, if you are a piedmont hunter yo will see species you will not usually kill. Pintails, widgeon, ect. Leave your quack call at home, it will cost you opportunities. make sure you know how to blow a whistle for widgeon and pintails.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby jdbdkhr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Hello, new member here. I hunt mostly Western Piedmont region in NC. Drew Currituck Banks and Goose Creek opening week. Anyone have recommendations on decoys needed and any special gear.
jdbdkhr
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:28 pm

jdbdkhr wrote:Hello, new member here. I hunt mostly Western Piedmont region in NC. Drew Currituck Banks and Goose Creek opening week. Anyone have recommendations on decoys needed and any special gear.

Do you have a boat?
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby jdbdkhr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:32 pm

Yes, I normally hunt out of my boat or use it to get to a spot and hunt from shore.
jdbdkhr
hunter

Postby Ncduckz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:17 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:
Ncduckz wrote:
HydeMarsh wrote:

Don't think it is a waste of time. If you do not regularly hunt the coast it should be a great experience. It is a fantastic place. You should see an amazing amount of waterfowl. You drew a very good time of year. You may not get many up close but believe me the ducks are there. In addition, if you are a piedmont hunter yo will see species you will not usually kill. Pintails, widgeon, ect. Leave your quack call at home, it will cost you opportunities. make sure you know how to blow a whistle for widgeon and pintails.

Any recommendations on decoy spread numbers and species
Ncduckz
hunter

Postby jdbdkhr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:41 pm

EastBound&Down wrote:
jdbdkhr wrote:Hello, new member here. I hunt mostly Western Piedmont region in NC. Drew Currituck Banks and Goose Creek opening week. Anyone have recommendations on decoys needed and any special gear.

Do you have a boat?

I have a 14.5' fiberglass Falcon sneak boat.
jdbdkhr
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:44 pm

Yeah, keep your mallards at home and look at running wigeon, gads, teal and pintails. Biggest help would be to throw in 100-150 coots and string them out. Bring as many decoys as you can on first haul, then go back and get more. Hell yeah it's a lot of work but numbers matter there.

For what's it worth, we always bring/ brought a cart to carry everything possible. If you aren't willing to make the sacrifice then you will probably be no better off than 95% of the other blinds- pot luck. Not a guarantee but will increase your odds.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:52 pm

What impoundment at Goose Creek did you draw?
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:07 pm

Shurshot wrote:Yeah, keep your mallards at home and look at running wigeon, gads, teal and pintails. Biggest help would be to throw in 100-150 coots and string them out. Bring as many decoys as you can on first haul, then go back and get more. Hell yeah it's a lot of work but numbers matter there.

For what's it worth, we always bring/ brought a cart to carry everything possible. If you aren't willing to make the sacrifice then you will probably be no better off than 95% of the other blinds- pot luck. Not a guarantee but will increase your odds.

good advice I agree with Shurshot. However, if you do not have pintails and widgeon but have a lot of old mallard decoys, spray them a flat grey, brown and black. you may want a gadwall call, lot's of them at skeet and they will decoy.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby jdbdkhr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Dingbatter wrote:What impoundment at Goose Creek did you draw?

Smith Creek and Hobucken.
jdbdkhr
hunter

Postby jdbdkhr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:51 pm

jdbdkhr wrote:
Dingbatter wrote:What impoundment at Goose Creek did you draw?

Smith Creek and Hobucken.

Can anyone tell me if these impoundments have a blind? Can they be waded? What kind of ducks are likely to be using them.
jdbdkhr
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:10 pm

None have blinds ( a damn good thing). You'll need some sort of drag boat to get across the interior ditch at Hobucken. Once in, you're good to go anywhere except adjecent to the dike. Smith Ck. will be a very short boat from the launch area but again you'll need some type of boat to get you across the interior ditch. There also is another "hat floating" ditch in the interior, you'll have locate once there. Growing vegetation is your friend, open water has its perils. Single permits for both so taking your time is beneficial.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Oh, if your draws are before really cold weather, watch for moccasins and the occasional pigmy (ground) rattler, especially if you have a dog.
Shurshot
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting