Public Permit Hunts Drawn

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Re: Public Permit Hunts Drawn

Postby Dingbatter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:37 pm

I've never seen anyone hunt Hobucken impoundment, I sure wouldn't drive from the western piedmont to hunt it.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby jdbdkhr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Shurshot wrote:Oh, if your draws are before really cold weather, watch for moccasins and the occasional pigmy (ground) rattler, especially if you have a dog.

Thanks for the help. I thought it looked like I may need some help getting across the ditches.
jdbdkhr
hunter

Postby jdbdkhr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Shurshot wrote:Oh, if your draws are before really cold weather, watch for moccasins and the occasional pigmy (ground) rattler, especially if you have a dog.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be heading down there the day before so I can scout it out a little.
jdbdkhr
hunter

Postby black_duck » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:21 am

Mattamuskeet draws have gone to sh*t. I've been lucky enough to hunt there 7 times, and the first six times were epic. We killed limits all but one of those first six times.
I didn't go for about five years but was invited to go last season. I hunt the area a good amount normally anyway and had heard about how the lake hunts had been doing poorly recently. My hunt last year was nothing at all like my first six experiences on the lake. I saw maybe a quarter of the amount of birds that I had seen on my first hunts there. Nothing was interested in landing anywhere near us. Usually you could sit in the blind and see rafts of thousands of wigeons, teal, and pintails sitting 700 yards away but not this time. I specifically looked for grass and couldn't find any on the bottom. The refuge numbers are as high as they've ever been, but the ducks aren't feeding on the lake. All of the ducks now are located in the refuge impoundments surrounding the lake.
Psalms 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

The duck hunters bible verse
black_duck
hunter

Postby jdbdkhr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:35 pm

black_duck wrote:Mattamuskeet draws have gone to sh*t. I've been lucky enough to hunt there 7 times, and the first six times were epic. We killed limits all but one of those first six times.
I didn't go for about five years but was invited to go last season. I hunt the area a good amount normally anyway and had heard about how the lake hunts had been doing poorly recently. My hunt last year was nothing at all like my first six experiences on the lake. I saw maybe a quarter of the amount of birds that I had seen on my first hunts there. Nothing was interested in landing anywhere near us. Usually you could sit in the blind and see rafts of thousands of wigeons, teal, and pintails sitting 700 yards away but not this time. I specifically looked for grass and couldn't find any on the bottom. The refuge numbers are as high as they've ever been, but the ducks aren't feeding on the lake. All of the ducks now are located in the refuge impoundments surrounding the lake.

I drew a hunt there last year and had pretty much the same results. Other than a couple mergansers, nothing flew close to our blind. I was there next to the last week of the season, so maybe I was too late. Did get to see more ducks than I have ever seen in my life, and species of ducks that I haven't seen, so it was kinda cool.
jdbdkhr
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:49 am

I would have to think that by mid-Jan of each year these animals have figured out that the area of the lake where the refuge blinds are has a lot of steel in the air. I keep applying (and have yet to be drawn)..... but the more I think about and the more I read of mostly (but not all) mediocre hunts there, the more I keep thinking "why do I keep applying?".

Of course having said that, probably my favorite day of the entire hunting season is my drive down the refuge road with my camera. What you see in that hour is almost religious.

So I'll keep applying
Paul26
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:47 pm

And this is why some of us still put in and even if not drawn drive however far it is to watch the show in morning or especially at sundown.

"Of course having said that, probably my favorite day of the entire hunting season is my drive down the refuge road with my camera. What you see in that hour is almost religious.

So I'll keep applying "

Great quote- good luck to those drawn- The experience is worth the trip!
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:24 am

No permit required to live the experience
Its free
sit on the causeway one morning with a pair of binoculars or drive down refuge road at sundown to watch the flight :thumbsup:
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby CatFan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Ncduckz wrote:I got drawn for skeet anyone been?

After trying for only a couple of years we got drawn last year. We were very excited but it was a major let down. And not due to lack of birds, which there was. We only heard a handful of shots. For the first day we drew the blind farthest away, 16 I think. There was a "safety briefing" before they released us where they basically read the entire regulation manual to us. Hit a few things that key on safety or are unique to the area but please leave it up to the hunters to know what they are doing and to read the regs. She mentioned that the water was not deep getting in but the mud was knee deep. I thought, no, she meant water. Nope. She meant mud. We had to slog through a few hundred yards of that to get to the blind. Even my dog was looking at me with the "are you kidding me?" She had to drag herself through belly deep mud. With that and due to the overly long safety briefing, we got to the blind right at about LST. We put out decoys which stupid because the only birds we had in range were right at first light. To make it even more fun, if you stood still long enough to throw a decoy, you sank in the muck and dang near could not get out. We saw birds rafting out in the middle and large groups flying but none came anywhere near a blind. We skipped day two and came home. I don't plan to enter the drawing for Skeet again.

I'm not sure why the would not allow you to use a boat to get to your blind. I guess they are concerned with people not know where to go in the dark but with just about everyone having a GPS cell phone, if they gave you the coordinates you'd get close enough. Then put a sign with the blind number on it and there is no problem.
CatFan
hunter

Postby DuckRider » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:11 pm

She mentioned that the water was not deep getting in but the mud was knee deep. I thought, no, she meant water. Nope. She meant mud. We had to slog through a few hundred yards of that to get to the blind.

Similar Currituck experience a few years back. Hit two unmarked crab pots, shredded prop, broke prop shaft seal, ruined the impellor, then had to trudge several hundred yards through knee-hip deep pluff mud to the blind. Finally got to the blind at 9 AM with about 8 decoys (left the rest in the grass along the way). Shot my first and only drake black duck that day. The best hunt I can promise you I'll never be stupid enough do again.
DuckRider
Newb

Postby jdbdkhr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Just wanted to make a report on my draw hunt for Currituck Banks. Saw 2 mallards all day on Friday.Didn't hear many shots either. Did not hunt Saturday. I had heard that the hunting was pretty good on opening day. Saw more ducks at the campground than on the sound. Did anyone have any luck in that part of the world last week?
jdbdkhr
hunter

Postby CatFan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 pm

jdbdkhr wrote:Just wanted to make a report on my draw hunt for Currituck Banks. Saw 2 mallards all day on Friday.Didn't hear many shots either. Did not hunt Saturday. I had heard that the hunting was pretty good on opening day. Saw more ducks at the campground than on the sound. Did anyone have any luck in that part of the world last week?

Not in that part of the world but it matches what I am seeing around Raleigh. Opening day had a woodie flurry, second sat was much less and went today and didn't see a duck. Heard only a handful of shots.
CatFan
hunter

Postby jdbdkhr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:41 pm

CatFan wrote:
jdbdkhr wrote:Just wanted to make a report on my draw hunt for Currituck Banks. Saw 2 mallards all day on Friday.Didn't hear many shots either. Did not hunt Saturday. I had heard that the hunting was pretty good on opening day. Saw more ducks at the campground than on the sound. Did anyone have any luck in that part of the world last week?

Not in that part of the world but it matches what I am seeing around Raleigh. Opening day had a woodie flurry, second sat was much less and went today and didn't see a duck. Heard only a handful of shots.

I hunted Norman today, had 5 gadwalls do a fly-by and a pair of mallards do the same. Oh I shouldn't leave out the 3 mergansers as well.
jdbdkhr
hunter

Postby creekcaptain » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:28 pm

A buddy and myself went to scout a game land for a draw hunt the other Sunday AM. We were watching the ducks land at LST and I thought I heard a mallard call. Not a very good one at that. We continued to watch for a few more seconds and out of no where, BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG. Three guns rang out. We looked at each other funny and a few seconds later, round two and three within a few more seconds of the initial volley. We couldn't believe someone was stupid enough to be hunting on a sunday in a game land in a permit only area. We called the game warden, got there tags, and on the way out met the GW and told the GW where we saw there truck. Not sure what happened to those boys but heard they were just some high schoolers later on. Who's raising these kids? :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead:
creekcaptain
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:33 am

Unfreaking believable! Good job on contacting the warden, gonna be an expensive lesson for those boys.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby CatFan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:59 am

creekcaptain wrote:A buddy and myself went to scout a game land for a draw hunt the other Sunday AM. We were watching the ducks land at LST and I thought I heard a mallard call. Not a very good one at that. We continued to watch for a few more seconds and out of no where, BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG. Three guns rang out. We looked at each other funny and a few seconds later, round two and three within a few more seconds of the initial volley. We couldn't believe someone was stupid enough to be hunting on a sunday in a game land in a permit only area. We called the game warden, got there tags, and on the way out met the GW and told the GW where we saw there truck. Not sure what happened to those boys but heard they were just some high schoolers later on. Who's raising these kids? :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead:

You were right to report them but if I was a wealthy attorney I'd take their case and use it as a chance to challenge the constitutionality of Sunday hunting bans.
CatFan
hunter

Postby HFDLT » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Hunted J Morgan Futch today, ton a ducks until the firsts shots a few minutes before shooting time was legal.... ended up some woodies and 2 swans. I have never seen sky busting like I did today, it was just dumbfounding on how some idiots can shoot at something so far away. I would do it again but only because I like hunting different places....
HFDLT
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:06 pm

CatFan wrote:
creekcaptain wrote:A buddy and myself went to scout a game land for a draw hunt the other Sunday AM. We were watching the ducks land at LST and I thought I heard a mallard call. Not a very good one at that. We continued to watch for a few more seconds and out of no where, BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG. Three guns rang out. We looked at each other funny and a few seconds later, round two and three within a few more seconds of the initial volley. We couldn't believe someone was stupid enough to be hunting on a sunday in a game land in a permit only area. We called the game warden, got there tags, and on the way out met the GW and told the GW where we saw there truck. Not sure what happened to those boys but heard they were just some high schoolers later on. Who's raising these kids? :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead:

You were right to report them but if I was a wealthy attorney I'd take their case and use it as a chance to challenge the constitutionality of Sunday hunting bans.

Please explain to me where in the constitution it mentions anything in any way relevant to the Sunday hunting ban...

I hunted NC for a good while and yes it was very annoying, but unconstitutional? Cmon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:50 am

Agree ^^. If a wealthy attorney really wants to challenge the “constitutionality” of a NC hunting regulation, he needs to look no further than the Hunter Safety Law which in essence violates the “right” of hunters to hunt in public trust waters in certain counties. But he better be real wealthy ...
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby CatFan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:44 am

The issue of constitutionality has nothing to do with hunting. It has to do with blue laws that restrict lawful activity on Sunday. I would make the same argument against selling alcohol or automobiles or allowing pawn shops to be open on Sunday. I see all of these as violations of our First Amendment rights against any governmental establishment of religion.

As do Sunday hunting, no I do not buy the flawed reasoning that its purpose is to lessen hunting pressure and allow the animals a period of rest. In NC, this law was passed right after the Civil War. NC was in no way whatsoever attempting to pass laws for the benefit of wildlife during this time. Its only purpose was to put butts in pews. If there really was any sound management practice that supported a 'day or rest' for game, then most, if not all, states would have one. Most do not. Also, if the motivation really was for a day of rest then it could just as easily be Saturday. Or Tuesday. But its not. Also, if our government passed laws that restricted activities on days of religious significance to other religions you can be certain that there would be a huge outcry against this.

So, in my opinion, this is a violation of our 1st Amendment rights to freedom of religion. It has nothing to do with hunting.
CatFan
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:46 pm

CatFan---I knew exactly what you meant re: the constitution re: Sunday hunting.

I didn't know this went back 160 years. Sure have to think a bottom-of-his-class jack-leg attorney could have some fun with this in the courtroom arguing this was done for religious reasons.

With that said: the fight that I think has the most "legs" is the Public Trust Doctrine argument. Last year I posted the Court's opinion from the Emerald Isle beach case re: public trust on the beach. There were several sections that could be applied directly to hunting on public water.

Lejeune allowed Sunday duck hunting for years. They addressed the 60-day limit by not allowing hunting on Wednesdays. This was done, I was told by the late Game Warden, to allow Marines to hunt on their 2 days off when not deployed. They ended this, I was told, due to enforcement officer manning issues.

If 10 of you give me $250,000 each I volunteer to take Carteret County to court. One day some hunter with spare change is going to tackle this.
Paul26
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:30 am

Paul26 wrote:CatFan---I knew exactly what you meant re: the constitution re: Sunday hunting.

I didn't know this went back 160 years. Sure have to think a bottom-of-his-class jack-leg attorney could have some fun with this in the courtroom arguing this was done for religious reasons.

With that said: the fight that I think has the most "legs" is the Public Trust Doctrine argument. Last year I posted the Court's opinion from the Emerald Isle beach case re: public trust on the beach. There were several sections that could be applied directly to hunting on public water.

Lejeune allowed Sunday duck hunting for years. They addressed the 60-day limit by not allowing hunting on Wednesdays. This was done, I was told by the late Game Warden, to allow Marines to hunt on their 2 days off when not deployed. They ended this, I was told, due to enforcement officer manning issues.

If 10 of you give me $250,000 each I volunteer to take Carteret County to court. One day some hunter with spare change is going to tackle this.

Yes Lejeune did that for a while because it is federal land and only has to abide by the federal law. Out of courtesy (and likely manning/ confusion sake) decided to align with the state to make it easier.

There is nothing illegal about a state outlawing hunting on any given day, so you will have QUITE the uphill battle proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the STATE law is, in fact, an attempt by the FEDERAL government to force the establishment of a religion. The constitution states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

"CONGRESS shall make no law". This is a state law, not a federal law.

Again, it is an annoying regulation, but I don't see you changing it through the courts. You should spend your time lobbying the state legislature instead.
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:20 pm

If 10 of you will give me $2,500 each, I'll take them to court and likely make it just as far as he will.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:47 am

Actually, with $1,000 I could bribe a State Senator and end this
Paul26
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Paul26 wrote:Actually, with $1,000 I could bribe a State Senator and end this
Probably so.
ncbufflehead