Wildfowl Magazine article

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Wildfowl Magazine article

Postby bigsprig » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Congratulations- Wildfowl has run another "Great North Carolina Public Duck Hunting" how to article. And the information is not very accurate- do not have copy in front of me right now, but basically there is very little mention of blind laws, presidential exclusion zone, requirement to apply for permit hunts, etc. Anything to sell a magazine I guess?
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Re: Wildfowl Magazine article

Postby Paul26 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Pls post or PM a link to the article. I can't find it.
Paul26
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Wildfowl Magazine- November 2017 issue- Article is titled "Rafts of Red" (because there are so many redheads in NC) and begins on page 90.

Author was hunting with retired Marine and somebody called "Poppa Smurf" out of Harkers Island.

Side bar says: EASY ACCESS- There is more than ample public hunting opportunity in this area of legend. Land-bound hunters are restricted largely to state and federal properties, including Goose Creek, Carteret County, and Gull Rock state game lands, Swanquarter and Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuges and Cape Lookout National Seashore. Regulations vary, but typically require daily or seasonal permits and prohibit permanent blinds. Tidal Waters are available to anyone with a boat, though most coastal counties have ordinances prohibiting hunters from setting up within 500 yards of an established blind. A group of hunters with a tender, a couple of layout boats and a liberal spread of decoys shouldn't have much trouble finding an open spot on the Sound, despite the matrix of permanent stilt blinds...
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:33 pm

I read it. Never seen such a false report in any hunting mag. the author should be ashamed. Maybe just maybe it will be enough to get the Jr's to go there instead of Hyde. We need some peace.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:40 pm

If they read the sidebar, they will be showing up at Gull Rock and at Mattamuskeet ready to get their "permits" and hunt.

Authors like this do no one a service, recall when Jon Wongrey wrote about "50,000 mallards in Santee Swamp" years ago.
Landings were swamped with out of state trucks for the following two seasons.

Guess authors need to sell articles.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:16 am

And he has wrongly described the Carteret County Blind Law when he says “prohibiting hunters from setting up within 500 yards of an established blind”. As I read it, he makes it sound like you cannot hunt within 500 yards of any blind anywhere in the County, even if it’s in the middle of a Sound/River/Marsh on public water.

That is absolutely not correct.

In Carteret County you cannot hunt within 500 yards of a blind that is on private property (i.e., land). The specific language from the NCWRC for Carteret County prohibits: “Take migratory waterfowl within 500 yards of another’s permanent hunting location without permission of the landholder upon whose land the waterfowl is taken.”
Paul26
hunter

Postby echoduck » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Was the author Mike Marsh? I wish he would take a vacation to Syria or perhaps North Korea.
echoduck
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Author was Bob Humphrey.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:13 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:I read it. Never seen such a false report in any hunting mag. the author should be ashamed. Maybe just maybe it will be enough to get the Jr's to go there instead of Hyde. We need some peace.

The locals will never allow it. The tin boat navy from Raleigh is Hyde's problem :yes: .
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:56 am

Dingbatter wrote:
HydeMarsh wrote:I read it. Never seen such a false report in any hunting mag. the author should be ashamed. Maybe just maybe it will be enough to get the Jr's to go there instead of Hyde. We need some peace.

The locals will never allow it. The tin boat navy from Raleigh is Hyde's problem :yes: .

I think the real problem is the tin boat navy from Archers Lodge (just kidding)
HydeMarsh
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting