Kayak hunting along the NC coast

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Kayak hunting along the NC coast

Postby CatFan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:52 am

Does anyone hunt from a kayak in coastal areas? I'm certainly not considering getting out away from shore at all but maybe in creeks and marshy areas. At the point, I have not spent any real time at the coast so I just wonder if this would be something fun to give a try. I just got a couple of kayak to hunt from around Raleigh wondered what going coastal might be like. Not looking for anyone to scout for me, just maybe things to consider if I want to give this a go.
CatFan
hunter

Re: Kayak hunting along the NC coast

Postby trigger22 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:53 pm

The tide is always something to consider. I have one place that I like to launch that is a giant mud flat. Try launching too early or coming back too late and you have bottomless mud for a few hundred yards before you get to the waters edge. Not fun... oh and oysters are hard on waders. Good luck and wear your pfd.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby merg » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Large boat wakes
merg
hunter

Postby CatFan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:29 pm

merg wrote:Large boat wakes

Was thinking of trying to get into areas that large boats can't reach
CatFan