Well, how was it?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Well, how was it?

Postby CatFan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:04 pm

We had ducks landing in the decoys before sunrise. Plenty of chances to knock some down by didn’t shoot worth a darn. Happy to be out there though.
CatFan
hunter

Re: Well, how was it?

Postby OUTATIME » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:08 pm

My Dad and I shot 6 woodies and only recovered 4 other two swam under and never came back up. Had a black duck land 2 yards away but they don't open till the 18th I believe. Overall saw a bunch of woodies and a few big ducks, which is average all year just about.
OUTATIME
hunter

Postby merg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:37 pm

OUTATIME wrote:My Dad and I shot 6 woodies and only recovered 4 other two swam under and never came back up. Had a black duck land 2 yards away but they don't open till the 18th I believe. Overall saw a bunch of woodies and a few big ducks, which is average all year just about.

Good job.
merg
hunter

Postby OUTATIME » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks, it was a fun one!
OUTATIME
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:13 pm

Good opener. Took youth out on his first big water hunt and he limited out on blackhead, bufflehead, scoter, and pintail.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:04 pm

EastBound&Down wrote:Good opener. Took youth out on his first big water hunt and he limited out on blackhead, bufflehead, scoter, and pintail.

You are "da Man" for finding birds and taking a young hunter. congrats!!!
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby hlw » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:35 am

Good hunt on the coast. Shot 2 wigeon (found 1), gaddy, ringneck, buffs, shoveler, and walked in my impoundment and shot a woody. Good opener for me. Hope all did well.
Attachments
IMG_0115.JPG
hlw
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 pm

Super job. Thanks for posting the pic
Paul26
hunter

Postby creekcaptain » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:14 am

I've skipped the opener here the last couple years. Had another good couple days before the opener elsewhere.
Attachments
IMG_2227 (4).JPG
creekcaptain
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:50 am

Very impressive. I have never had a hunt with that kind of variety. That's about the best group of ducks I have seen. That is a can on the left side, correct?

Also: please send the precise lat/longs of your "elsewhere" location, along with your SSN, checking account number and PIN. No need to use PM: I wont tell anyone. No crap G.I.

And thank you for posting the photo. Everyone: pls get with a Millennial and ask them to teach you how to post pics.
Paul26
hunter

Postby creekcaptain » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Paul26 wrote:Very impressive. I have never had a hunt with that kind of variety. That's about the best group of ducks I have seen. That is a can on the left side, correct?

Also: please send the precise lat/longs of your "elsewhere" location, along with your SSN, checking account number and PIN. No need to use PM: I wont tell anyone. No crap G.I.

And thank you for posting the photo. Everyone: pls get with a Millennial and ask them to teach you how to post pics.

4 cans to be exact. We let bufflehead have a pass the entire time, but they hit the deeks hard all day every day. We ended the trip with 9 species of ducks and a goose. There are a few dead buffies on the end, we thought they were GE's. I'll upload a few more pics later on.
creekcaptain
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:04 pm

thanks for sharing, You obviously have it wired for success.

Paul, tell us one more time how to post pics.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby OUTATIME » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:25 pm

I'd post pictures but they would release where I was very easy. Going after them in the morning so I'll let you know what happens!
OUTATIME
hunter

Postby OUTATIME » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Nothing happened sadly, I messed up when I had he only woodie decoy. Atleast I know where they are going now,for Saturday , as I'll call that a scouting trip :lol3:
OUTATIME
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Killed a blue bill and a redhead Friday morning on the sound. Our impoundments have nothing. Lots of birds on the refuge. So many swans on the northeast side you cannot hear yourself think.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:36 pm

Not many birds around at all but my partner and I made the best of our opportunities and shot green wings, blue wings and wigeon.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:38 am

HydeMarsh wrote:Killed a blue bill and a redhead Friday morning on the sound. Our impoundments have nothing. Lots of birds on the refuge. So many swans on the northeast side you cannot hear yourself think.

I heard there is a 300 acre impoundment in hyde that was hit with a big downburst or something during a thunderstorm that knocked all of the corn over and is holding most of the birds in hyde right now. Like 200,000 plus. Have talked to a few people who dont have much in the way of ducks right now in hyde.

We have started out well with 4 good days so far. Not overly optimistic for thanksgiving weekend but hopefully we will have some new birds show up.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting