Hunting North Carolina?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Hunting North Carolina?

Postby kbonga » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Going to Mt Gilead for Christmas from Florida need some help on areas to hunt and the license laws...thanks
kbonga
hunter

Re: Hunting North Carolina?

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:55 pm

I wouldn't waste my time nor money if I was you. Far from duck heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby kbonga » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:58 am

By the way the map looked I figured I would get that type of response...thanks
kbonga
hunter

Postby CatFan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:12 pm

When I first move here in 1999, I read an article in NC Game and Fish about float hunting the Pee Dee River. Woodies mostly I think. Not many migrators that far west. Looks like the is the Pee Dee game lands in that area. Keep in mind there is no waterfowl hunting on Sunday in NC. None. Notta. Apparently all the ducks go to church. Also, some gamelands are only open for duck hunting on certain days of the week. ncwildlife.org has PDFs with all the general game laws as well as ones for specific counties and game lands. We don't have a state duck stamp but if hunting public land you need to make sure you include the game land privilege in your license.

I do tend to agree with the other sentiment that it might not be worth the time and certainly the expense of an out of state license. The exception is if you'll be majorly bored and really looking for something to do. In that case, its better than TV with the in-laws. I hunt in the Raleigh area and I think it would be pretty tough for you to come in to this area cold and have good success. It requires a bit of scouting ahead of time and you'll likely be hunting in a crowd.
CatFan
hunter

Postby kbonga » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:44 pm

Never got into the float hunting although people do it here in NW Florida. I looked in to the gamelands and saw there was one at the uwharrie national Forest and one south east of that but when I called the lady said she didn't know if you could duck hunt there..im thinking it won't be worth it I won't have all my equipment anyways and I know my family doesn't have any there.
kbonga
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:32 pm

kbonga wrote:Never got into the float hunting although people do it here in NW Florida. I looked in to the gamelands and saw there was one at the uwharrie national Forest and one south east of that but when I called the lady said she didn't know if you could duck hunt there..im thinking it won't be worth it I won't have all my equipment anyways and I know my family doesn't have any there.

I looked on line for waterfowl guides in the area. all I found was fishing guides on Lake Tillery. Might be ducks on Lake Tillery and it is not to far away but I would guess you need a boat. NC Duck hunting, for the most part is in the east.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby kbonga » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:35 pm

Alright.. I appreciate all the advice and at this point it seems like a waste of time biggest part being the short notice with little time to plan..maybe in the future....once again thank you for the time
kbonga
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting